Thread: Timeless design
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 05:08 AM   #40
southernstar

IMO, it is way too early to call the 986 a classic regardless of one's definition. As to the design, I do tend to agree with the OP, however. Yes, it looks a bit dated compared to the new Boxster Cayman. What would you expect for a vehicle design that is now 20 years old?

However, IMO the 986 was a brilliantly executed, amazingly cohesive and original design that positively screamed "Porsche'. The cars roots in the 'giant-killer' 550 Spyders of the 50's - the cars that put Porsche on the map in racing circles, are readily apparent. The curving, rather than angular forms are, well - sexy, rather than masculine, IMO. The same, of course, is true of the original Jaguar XKE - a car that Enzo Ferrari called the most beautiful car in the world.

While the new 981 appears muscular and masculine, to me the 986 evokes the female form - something which for me and many men, brings out an emotional and visceral response that a muscular, male form can never achieve. Heck, I think of mine as a beautiful and sexy woman who, if treated with respect, will provide incredible thrills and satisfaction. Is she a bit fragile? Yes. Does she need to be 'warmed-up' before going for it? Ditto. But once she is ready.....

IMO, the design is also one of the most cohesive and balanced of any car since the XKE and the original 911. Rather than a clash of angles and curves, a modified 'C' shape is carried throughout the design from the front grills, through the intrument cover, the door handles, the mirrors, the side air intakes, the doors, the door windows, the rear fenders, the rear tail-lights and upper brake light, the exhaust (in the base). It is even carried through into the design of various of the interior components.

The car may never become a 'classic' in the true sense of the word, but it is a beautiful design that should always be admired.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote