Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #1

Heel and toe

With the Boxster being the first manual that I have had in a few years (so glad to be back) I have been trying to get back into heel and toeing. Being 6'4" I am just glad to fit in the car (with a helmet on iI touch the first rib on the top) but have found that I just don't have the proper amount of room to get the job done. My thought was to switch to the GT3 console. Anyone else in my "height" situation switch consoles? Did doing so make heel and toeing easier?

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #2

Thumbs up

Still working on my heel n toe. 987 cabin helps but.......interested in what others say.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

When you say that you don't have enough room, exactly what do you mean? I'm expecting that you're trying to blip the throttle with either the outside of your foot or your heel, so I'm not sure where/how you're running out of room.

Take a look at this video and let us know where you're having the problem;

Heel Toe Driving Technique - YouTube
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #4

Garage
I'm 6'2", and I agree that there isn't nearly enough room for literal "heel" and "toe" shifting. Maybe it's obvious, but I instead use a "roll and blip" sort of shift.

Coming into a corner, I hit the brake with *just* the left side of the ball of my right foot. As the car slows down, and the revs drop, I then just roll the right side of my foot onto the throttle to blip the pedal (while keeping the left side on the brake), downshift, and release the clutch and move my right foot back onto the throttle. Works like a charm.
pharaohjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
Damn Yankee

Garage
Please enlighten me. Why would you need the GT3 console?

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharaohjb View Post
I'm 6'2", and I agree that there isn't nearly enough room for literal "heel" and "toe" shifting. Maybe it's obvious, but I instead use a "roll and blip" sort of shift.

Coming into a corner, I hit the brake with *just* the left side of the ball of my right foot. As the car slows down, and the revs drop, I then just roll the right side of my foot onto the throttle to blip the pedal (while keeping the left side on the brake), downshift, and release the clutch and move my right foot back onto the throttle. Works like a charm.
That's exactly what this pro is doing:
Foot cam from the HRT V8 Supercar hot lap - YouTube

You're heel-toeing....don't sell yourself short.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #7

Thanks all for the replies.

My big feet, size 13, don't help. I would love to have the room that you see in the videos clips. I had no problems on my C4 which was tight but not as tight as the Boxster. Specifically the C4 had more room for my right leg/knee allowing for a more comfortable position of my right foot and different spacing and setup of the pedals. That car did not have a center console helping in the room department. Blipping the throttle with my heel is awkward since the throttle pedal pivots from the bottom and my toes touch the bottom of the dash and doing it with the right side of my foot is also awkward as I can't seem to pivot enough to get suffienct throttle/blip. Getting the console out of the way may help with the latter as I could get my leg more over to the right. Has anyone removed the console to get the extra room to help with making access easier?

Maybe it's just me. Doing a PCA HPDE in a few weeks with instructors so that will be a good opportunity.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
2002 Boxster S

Garage
I'm 6'3" with size 11 shoes. I was just thinking today how nice it is that the Boxster accelerator pedal is positioned exactly right so I can blip it with the right side of my foot when the brake is depressed with the left side.

But if you're 6'4" and can get into a Boxster with a helmet on, you must have really long legs, so maybe the angle just isn't going to work for you?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
... and doing it with the right side of my foot is also awkward as I can't seem to pivot enough to get suffienct throttle/blip.
This makes me wonder if your pedal heights need to be adjusted. When I'm hard on the brakes coming into a corner, the brake pedal is exactly even with the throttle, making it easy to just roll the right side of my foot over and blip it.
pharaohjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:17 AM   #10

I have the GT3 console (6'2+ size 13) in my 03S. It lets me move my right knee further to the right which equates to substantially more legroom and foot mobility. I don't heel and toe in the P-car much, but I would think it would be impossible for me if I hadn't deleted the box console.

BTW, the GT3 console delete is a great place to mount a GPS.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmairspotter View Post
I have the GT3 console (6'2+ size 13) in my 03S. It lets me move my right knee further to the right which equates to substantially more legroom and foot mobility. I don't heel and toe in the P-car much, but I would think it would be impossible for me if I hadn't deleted the box console.

BTW, the GT3 console delete is a great place to mount a GPS.
Thanks, that's helpful to know that it gives you substantially more legroom and foot mobility. Based you your response I guessing everyday driving is more comfortable.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 01-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharaohjb View Post
This makes me wonder if your pedal heights need to be adjusted. When I'm hard on the brakes coming into a corner, the brake pedal is exactly even with the throttle, making it easy to just roll the right side of my foot over and blip it.
Same for me the brake pedal is even with the throttle on hard braking.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 01-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #13

Hey I thought we're all bald short hairdressers?

I find wearing shoes with thin soles like driving moc or Puma speedcats help as well.

I'd get the GT3 console but I'd have no room to put my phone and gas receipts, etc.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #14

Can you big and tall guys benefit from these extensions?

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #15

They say Heel-and-Toe, but whenever I do it, it's more like RightSideOfFoot-and-Toe
16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Blipping the throttle with ....... the right side of my foot is also awkward as I can't seem to pivot enough to get suffienct throttle/blip.

Doing a PCA HPDE in a few weeks with instructors so that will be a good opportunity.
You may want to consider installing a throttle riser and extension. The riser will lift the thorttle pedal to be higher so its more even with the brake pedal. The throttle extension makes the throttle pedal bigger so its easier to reach with your heel or the side of your foot.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/28895-rennline-pedal-install-guide-print.html

And yes, working with an instructor will help improve more than just your heel and toe technique!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote