Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 04:26 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

49 in a 40.........

********. ********!!!!

**** ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$$$

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
65 in a 30 back in Nov. I swear I was in the middle of nowhere on a highway. No signs, no houses...nothing.

Mandatory court appearance. I lucked out and only got a $135 fine. Could be because it was only my second ticket in more than a decade, though.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #3

Garage
Driving 65 in a 55, out of no where Blue flashing lights in my rear view.
Oh - S... !!! I think. My wife is going to be right ("... you drive to fast in that thing ...")
Pulls the car following me over - Man I lucked out.

A mile later I'm on a familiar exit ramp hugging the right side white line, 2/3 around I hit black ice and I'm working the wheel to stay off the left side curb. Finally get to dry road - Man I lucked out x2

Some days work out
Old 01-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #4

Always fight your tickets. I have been to court so many time its hard to count. On every one of the tickets I was able to work out a non-points ticket with the municipal prosecutor.

The irony is all were for speeds under 65. Bigger irony: I only really need my Valentine One when I turn off the highway and go on the local roads. These are full of local small town cops who love to pull over Porsches. I strictly follow the speed limit here as I don't need the hassle of showing up to court or thanking the cop for "only" giving me a $60 seat belt ticket.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #5

Garage
I'm with you Perfectlap on fighting the tickets. I haven't had one posted to my driving record since '88. I've always worked out deals with the local judge etc. They just want your money. It's usually twice the face value of the ticket/fine. I pay it and it magically goes away! My insurance rates reflect the years of doing this… (they're cheap!)
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #6

Garage
I always have slightly smoked license plate covers.
I have had a complete of speeding pull overs get written up as obscuring license plates. These were not excessive speeding.
It gives the officer an option to get the violation but not give you the points
It's all about the money
Old 01-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #7

Garage
I always do 15-20 over the limit on the expressway. Usually set the cruise for 17 over (4.5-6 mph speed-o-meter error) I figure that puts me around 11-12 mph over and I've passed cops and never been pulled over. Jinx on me, I'm sure.

Of course, there are no rules on 80/94 around south Chicago and NW Indiana. Sometimes doing 70 mph in a 55 zone will get you run over.

On local streets, I do 10 over the limit (including same speed-o-meter error) I've found the error to be around 4.5 mph while in the 30-50 mph range. Never had a problem.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Always fight your tickets. I have been to court so many time its hard to count. On every one of the tickets I was able to work out a non-points ticket with the municipal prosecutor.

The irony is all were for speeds under 65. Bigger irony: I only really need my Valentine One when I turn off the highway and go on the local roads. These are full of local small town cops who love to pull over Porsches. I strictly follow the speed limit here as I don't need the hassle of showing up to court or thanking the cop for "only" giving me a $60 seat belt ticket.
Seat belt? How do you defeat the audible alarm? Never stops. Guess it's safer anyway...

So, with radar, what is the defense? Calibration? Last car in pack with other cars pulling away? False reading from this shape of car? Singled out for car type? Spedo didn't actually say that speed?

I have no doubt not only was I over, but I had been way farther over on the interstate! I certainly am glad to pay the fine, but it's the points.

40 in a wide, winding country road feels absurdly slow in this car.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Oddly, he did mention no front plate but since I have no holes and nowhere to mount it they don't require it. Had them filled when I was hit a few months back.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #10

Illinois State Police rarely pull you over, unless you are traveling 20+ over. Different story in South East Wisconsin...I'm usually no more than 6-8 over the posted limit.

Was clocked at 78mph in a 55 zone heading back from Road America a couple years back after passing a slow moving vehicle...got a warning; as luck would have it, I was in my Grand Cherokee.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #11

Garage
When I went travelling to OKC, I knew they were changing the speed limit in Illinois so I was hoping my return trip would be faster. Alas... they didn't get the signs up by Jan. 2.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #12

No radar or patrol in China. Never seen a police patrol chasing or even pulling over another car here. That is not their job!

Only way to ticket anyone here is by speed cameras. A still picture, kindly chopped by a judge already, with your clocked speed is sent to you by email. We also have a website to check LIVE tickets as well

Everyone pays their tickets at their scheduled yearly car inspection

Radars? those are "primitive hunting" methods the cops says here LOL
Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #13

Almost forgot. Sorry to hear what happened to you today Tim
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #14
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Seat belt? How do you defeat the audible alarm?
With one of these:

Photo is from an eBay ad. Mine have the full color crest, and "Boxster" in silver.

TO

Last edited by TeamOxford; 01-15-2014 at 12:01 PM.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
It's all about the money
Say it ain't so............

TO
Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #16
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Oddly, he did mention no front plate but since I have no holes and nowhere to mount it they don't require it.
That doesn't cut it here in Texas.

TO
Old 01-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #17
Certified Boxster Addict

Like Perfectlap, I fight every ticket and almost always win. The law cuts both ways and most cops write crappy tickets that are indefensible in court.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #18

Garage
Too bad there weren't some puddles in the way - they may have slowed you down.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Too bad there weren't some puddles in the way - they may have slowed you down.
Not at all. I swerve over the double yellow line and don't have to even slow down to avoid puddles or wet patches of melting snow. That stuff is dirty!
Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
No radar or patrol in China. Never seen a police patrol chasing or even pulling over another car here. That is not their job!

Only way to ticket anyone here is by speed cameras. A still picture, kindly chopped by a judge already, with your clocked speed is sent to you by email. We also have a website to check LIVE tickets as well

Everyone pays their tickets at their scheduled yearly car inspection

Radars? those are "primitive hunting" methods the cops says here LOL
How much is your car insurance in China?

Quote:
Seat belt? How do you defeat the audible alarm? Never stops. Guess it's safer anyway...

So, with radar, what is the defense? Calibration? Last car in pack with other cars pulling away? False reading from this shape of car? Singled out for car type? Spedo didn't actually say that speed?

I have no doubt not only was I over, but I had been way farther over on the interstate! I certainly am glad to pay the fine, but it's the points.

40 in a wide, winding country road feels absurdly slow in this car.
Oh I was wearing my seatbelt. Our agreement that I wasn't was just between Mr. small town cop and I so he'd dispense with the speeding violation.

In that instance, if memory serves, the radar detector absolutely went off. But this clever copper parked his car in front of a supermarket and behind a snow embankment.
The automatic doors at a supermarket entrance will trip the x band or whichever on most radar detectors so I figured it was the doors opening since I couldn't see the cop sneakily hiding behind the snow. Once I saw the cherries flashing I knew I had been duped!!
I almost wanted to congratulate the guy for finally outsmarting the V1.
But in retrospect I should have known that automatic doors and a full lock-on of police x radar sound completely different on the V1. Not as drastic as the lazer but still hard to confuse.

People often say "why do you need a radar detector? Why don't you just stop going 100 mph??". Little do they know its for the back road smokies hiding in snow and not really for the staties looking to bust a 80-90 mph Porsche on the highway.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-15-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote