Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 AM   #1

3D printer to make parts?

I'm not sure if many of you have looked inside the transmission for the convertible tops. There's about 6 metal gears and 2 plastic gears. I'm assuming when someone's transmission goes out, it's one of those plastic gears breaking. Those plastic gears look like they cost about $.25, but most people replace the whole transmission for up to a few hundred $$. I don't own or know completely how 3D printer work, but for those who do. Can a 3D printer be used to make those gears?

itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #2

Yes a 3D printer can achieve the same shape and tolerance. Given it's a commercial high grade 3d printer of course :/ $20,000 (and up)

The hobby type printer won't provide the tolerance required for a gear type part. Unless stability is not a concern then 'maybe' it could be done (e.g. large gear, fewer teeth).

Another common problem is finding a durable composite in a filament format for the gear material.

The gears and pretty much all others (fasteners, nuts screws, etc) on those German cars is of "DIN standard". All very easy to find if you are looking at replacing with aftermarket gears.

To my knowledge 3D printers are only good for rapid prototyping. If for a simple 2D shaped part (e.g. gear) I trust a laser cutting machine being able to cope better with tolerances than melted plastic layers.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #3

Thanks. Maybe someday we'll be able to get the high quality printers at a lower price. As much plastic as there is in these cars, I dread trying to restore them 20 years from now. Sure would be nice to hit a button and have a new center console made up in a few minutes.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

I'd love to print new tires every couple weeks, or print a new AOS every couple years. Maybe print some coil packs?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #5

Great innovation but sucks for precision parts. It will never become a technology strong enough to do so anyway. Maybe in a hundred years who know.... (melted plastic layers??!! com'on)

However some are 3D printing their new houses as I type. Now that, I see a future in that technology!

The 3D printer that can build a house in 24 hours - MSN Innovation UK
Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #6

I have a DIY 3D printer and the resolution is suprisingly good and gears are possible but like mentioned the strength of the part in PLS or ABS plastic may not be enough.

There are a couple types of 3D printers the melted plastic layer deposition type, the Laser cured in bath type and the Laser sintered material types to name a few.
The Laser types have better precision but like any are limited to certain types of materials.

You can order 3D parts from commercial quality printers that provide the printing service and can do various materials including stainless steel.

gears on Shapeways, the 3D Printing Marketplace and Community

It can't compete with mass produced parts prices but if you just need a one off it may be a solution.

The big BUT though is that you have to create the 3D model file yourself, but there are resouces out there to make it easier, plus free modeling software.

I need to print myself some new vanity mirror covers, after I create the 3D model first of course, and since I'm designing them myself I might as well customize it, like Embossing "Porsche" or "Boxster" in the lid plastic etc.

Neat home business idea I think as I can surely reproduce them for much less than the "Porsche" name markup.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 01-13-2014 at 06:01 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote