Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
bmussatti

Darts with GPS

This is how they are going to get ya!!!!:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The car chase capital of the world is going high-tech to end dangerous pursuits across Southern California.

Police Chief William J. Bratton unveiled a strange new weapon in the police department's strategy to halt high-speed pursuits -- adhesive darts with a global positioning system that are fired at fleeing cars by police.

Once fired from a patrol car, the GPS dart is designed to stick to a fleeing car, allowing squad cars to back off the chase.

"Instead of us pushing them doing 70 or 80 miles an hour," Bratton said, "this device allows us not to have to pursue after the car. It allows us to start vectoring where the car is."

U.S. Department of Justice officials suggested testing the StarChase system in Los Angeles. A small number of patrol cars will be equipped with the compressed air launchers, which fire the miniature GPS receivers in a sticky compound resembling a golf ball.

There were more than 600 pursuits in Los Angeles and more than 100,000 nationwide last year. Critics have long questioned the wisdom of police pursuits because they can endanger bystanders and officers.

Bratton, who often calls the city the car chase capital of the world, was asked why there are so many pursuits in Los Angeles: "There are a lot of nuts here," he said.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not

Old 02-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #2

Wasn't this kind of thing featured in Fast and Furious I or II?

I hate it when government mimics Hollywood. It's so passé!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #3

I would hate to be the guy who catches the Golf ball with adhesive in the head. Not the person being chased at 70 -90 mph the poor guy standing or driving when the cop shots at those speeds and misses. Ya this isn't the movies F/F were the chopper swoops down and tags the car. I was always told by my dad you can't beat the motorrola and this is what the cops need to use more. I agree high speed pursuits are not needed and more dangerous for the public. For the cop the mojo starts flowing but they need to stop and think about what there doing. This is a little personnel for me as a good friend was T-boned by a crusier in a high speed chase with a guy who was speeding and blew a stop sign. Not exactly a bank robbery or Homicide. Multiple injuries thousands of dollars of medical bills and it was a 16 y/o kid with dads car screwing around. Nice .........

1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote