Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #1

Preventive Maintenance

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what the average life is, or time to replace, of parts that are not listed in the regular maintenance schedule such as shifter cables, wheel bearings, etc. I feel like usually we wait until they make noises or break to replace them, but I really don't want them to break on me when I'm driving, and I also don't want to replace parts that are still good.

Thank you,

P.S: Those two examples are the ones that I'm thinking of right now, if you guys know of other parts that are similar, please post.

Last edited by hancock1701; 01-03-2014 at 10:57 AM.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what the average life is, or time to replace, of parts that are not listed in the regular maintenance schedule such as shifter cables, wheel bearings, etc. I feel like usually we wait until they make noises or break to replace them, but I really don't want them to break on me when I'm driving, and I also don't want to replace parts that are still good.

Thank you,

P.S: Those two examples are the ones that I'm thinking of right now, if you guys know of other parts that are similar, please post.
No average life or need to replace shift cables or wheel bearings until they let you know they are done. Usually shift cables first act out by coming loose from trans & you can ziptie them to prevent this. Mine have been like this for 2 years on my 6-speed. I just ordered the Numeric racing HD cables. Most of this applies to your IMSB except for the part about waiting until it's done to replace it. You don't want to do that for this part. :chicken:
Old 01-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Registered Boxster abuser

Not trying to bash anyone, and preventative maintenance is great. but it seems there is a fair amount of members here that just kind of go overboard. Drive it, and enjoy it. do the normal maintenance and be aware of anything that changes or sounds odd.

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
recycledsixtie

Garage
Good question Hancock as I have often wondered that myself.

My local indy shop says my bearings will need to be done not tomorrow but in the future! My 2001 base Box has done 45k miles.

Water pump has not been done but somebody could guess the life of the water pump?

IMS? Who knows?

I am not one to replace parts unless they are broken but if I was to replace parts I would replace the ones that have the most $$$ consequences if they broke:

1. water pump, thermostat .

2. Accessory belt?

3. Ims - have not done this but have had installed IMS Guardian.

Anything else that is critical?

Most other stuff is not so critical in my opinion because you get some warning but must obviously be addressed if they fail:
AOS-smokey
Coolant tank - leaky could have consequences
Motor mounts broken you will feel it
Wheel bearings will get noisy

Obviously large amounts of coolant, oil on the garage floor are a concern.

Others can add items that I may have overlooked and are critical.
As the above poster says get in that car and drive has a lot to be said for it.
G
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #5

Then there's the 'since you're in there' category: oil fill tube when doing AOS or coolant reservoir, wheel bearings when replacing struts etc. The idea is to save labour but only applies if you're doing things yourself ( mechanics usually charge 'book time' even though there are shared steps for some repairs).
Old 01-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
The most overlooked and important part to change out even though you're not told to, is the single row IMS bearing. The double rows do crater, but not as often. The single row IMS bearings are quite likely to be the part that defines the life of your engine. If you own a single row, do yourself a favor and have it replaced with an open ceramic at a minimum. I bought a 120K mile roller with, you guessed it, a failed IMSB. I've done quite a bit of research on the IMSB, and from what I have learned I'll be servicing mine just like old Honda timing belts were changed. If this bearing fails, you'll need a new engine.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
Not trying to bash anyone, and preventative maintenance is great. but it seems there is a fair amount of members here that just kind of go overboard. Drive it, and enjoy it. do the normal maintenance and be aware of anything that changes or sounds odd.

So far this is the understatement of the year.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Good question Hancock as I have often wondered that myself.

My local indy shop says my bearings will need to be done not tomorrow but in the future! My 2001 base Box has done 45k miles.

Water pump has not been done but somebody could guess the life of the water pump?

IMS? Who knows?

I am not one to replace parts unless they are broken but if I was to replace parts I would replace the ones that have the most $$$ consequences if they broke:

1. water pump, thermostat .

2. Accessory belt?

3. Ims - have not done this but have had installed IMS Guardian.

Anything else that is critical?

Most other stuff is not so critical in my opinion because you get some warning but must obviously be addressed if they fail:
AOS-smokey
Coolant tank - leaky could have consequences
Motor mounts broken you will feel it
Wheel bearings will get noisy

Obviously large amounts of coolant, oil on the garage floor are a concern.

Others can add items that I may have overlooked and are critical.
As the above poster says get in that car and drive has a lot to be said for it.
G
What happens with these cars that make a failed waterpump so catastrophic?
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #9

Engine intolerance to overheating & broken pump impeller blades blocking cylinder head capillaries = potential severe lightening of wallet....
And if someone has fitted an aftermarket pump with metal impellers, a failed pump bearing can cause the impeller to grind through the alloy block which = even bigger expenditure....
Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your inputs. As for me, I'm slightly worried about these things because the Boxster is my only car, and I can't afford to have it break down on me. I'd rather get to the parts that are near the end of their lives (if they do) than let them get to me. Also, I try to do the work myself, and usually I'll have to wait for the parts from online stores because of local unavailability.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #11

Perfect lap says

Reliable but not so durable.......bear that in mind around 75 or 80 thousnd miles

nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote