Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #1

Garage
Desnorkel Me Please

So I've read (without exaggeration) 25 posts about desnorkeling - ALL of them had broken links on HOW to actually desnorkel. Apparently everyone who wanted to desnorkel did so sometime before 2008.

If I see another 404 error, database not found, etc. I'm gonna scream! :ah:

Anyone have a valid link to HOW to desnorkel - would be sooo appreciative! (: Thanks in advance.

scottvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #2

Garage
take off the drivers side intake vent by unscrewing the one screw and working the vent cover off. after that is off, the snorkel will be the circular plastic thing with a cup scoopy thing on the end, almost like a handle you can grab. Just grab it and pull and it will come out (there are no screws holding it in). This is the method for 97-02 I believe. Later years are probably different
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #3

Don't have a link, but the procedure is pretty straightforward.
From what I remember, you can un-screw the painted intake housing & pull it out with a little finesse. Be careful not to pull on the vent slats, as they are held on with thin tabs.
Once the housing is out, just tug & wiggle the snorkel until it pops loose. It will take some work, so be careful not to fall backwards when it comes off.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

Garage
Grab a hold of the thing that looks like this and pull it out!

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #5

So what are the benefits of this..?
DieSiebener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieSiebener View Post
There aren't any...............
Old 01-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #7

Garage
Got it, thanks - just on the driver's side right? On the passenger side it looks like the rubber mesh screen is missing (or perhaps it's not supposed to have one) and I can see a propeller inside.

I pulled the tube out with force as I read was necessary. Unfortunately it did break off part of the retaining ring so this procedure isn't completely reversible in my case.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
There aren't any...............
There aren't any benefits?
Old 01-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvd View Post
5HP? Anyone that has spent time on a dyno will tell you that difference is meaningless; you get larger swings in HP with changes in the weather and would probably see a larger track lap improvement if you took the floor mats out of the car. I just love it when people chase miniscule improvements in output, often in an RPM range where the engine spends one half of one percent of its life.........

Taking this thing out lightens the car by a very small amount, and it sounds different, period.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-02-2014 at 02:19 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #10

sound is the only benefit i think! however the difference in surface area of the intake chamber without the snorkel in place is drastically increased which can't be a bad thing?!
koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosh View Post
sound is the only benefit i think! however the difference in surface area of the intake chamber without the snorkel in place is drastically increased which can't be a bad thing?!
If it is a "good thing", why doesn't do something more positive? Increasing surface area or changing the volume upwards on intake systems does not always yield anything positive, and quite often makes things worse.

To properly gauge the impact of intake modifications, they need to be first tested on a flow bench to determine the amount of and direction of the change, and then confirmed in terms of engine volumetric efficiency on a fully instrumented dyno. And quite often, making things flow better in the intake then mandates modifications to the cylinder heads and cams to actually take advantage of the flow improvement's.

These engines are a system; making a change over here often yields nothing without a lot of other changes as well. That is what engine development is all about, and anyone that has done it will tell you bigger is not always better.........
Old 01-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieSiebener View Post
channel your inner muscle car sound dude!

besides who needs Lear jet induction sound that no other car in the parking lot has.

p.s.
Spend some holiday dough on the under drive pulley upgrade. Same 5 hp but stealthy... like a Ninja.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-02-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If it is a "good thing", why doesn't do something more positive? Increasing surface area or changing the volume upwards on intake systems does not always yield anything positive, and quite often makes things worse.

To properly gauge the impact of intake modifications, they need to be first tested on a flow bench to determine the amount of and direction of the change, and then confirmed in terms of engine volumetric efficiency on a fully instrumented dyno. And quite often, making things flow better in the intake then mandates modifications to the cylinder heads and cams to actually take advantage of the flow improvement's.

These engines are a system; making a change over here often yields nothing without a lot of other changes as well. That is what engine development is all about, and anyone that has done it will tell you bigger is not always better.........
JFP,
Thank you for the information. I have been reading numerous posts on removing the snorkel but until this thread, everything has been conjecture. Your logic has made my decision easy. I have an 04 S that is stock. I'm keeping the snorkel.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #14
Beginner

Garage
No question Porsche went to great lengths to maximize performance while minimizing cost (reality). There are no parts on any Boxster that were not deemed vital for the function they performed, or they would be eliminated for cost. Induction / increasing volumetric efficiency in the intake is a big deal. The flared inlet and ~5 degree increase in diameter in the part pictured below screams "minimize turbulence and transition to laminar airflow" to me, which of course, increases inlet mass airflow. The car may not not sound as cool to bystanders, but a modest increase in performance might be anticipated.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #15

Garage
Finally: Dyno charts of de-snorked 986S!!!

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #16

I'm running a 987 airbox and even have the stock 987 snorkel on it. It's there for a reason and I know of a person who has dynoed with and without and their curves were smoother with.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote