Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

55w bulbs melting headlight!?

Hey Guys,

I started using 55w Philips Crystal Vision (not diamond vision) low beam halogen bulbs in my 00' 986S headlamps about six months ago. I wanted to use a bulb with slightly whiter light to better match some DRLs I added.

I have just recently started seeing burn damage and melting of my inner headlamp lens on both headlamps.

I thought I did my homework and selected a well reviewed bulb (with a slight blue tint). I didn't think I was at risk of damaging my headlamp since I stayed with 55w bulbs. Do some bulbs get hotter because they are designed to achieve a certain look? What am I missing here?

... On the damage control front, I am hoping to repair the damage done to the inner lenses. I have seen that the headlights can be successfully opened in previous posts, but are the inner lenses available for replacement? If not, has anyone had success removing the burn mark by resurfacing the lens?

Thanks in advance for any input!

winter.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about the issue you are having. I had mine yellowed badly as well and decided to go for a totally new and modern looking front-end instead of just swapping the melted part.... which is not available btw

This:

Also offered in the color of your choice! High Performance Bi-Xenon Projector for Porsche headlight (RETROFIT KIT).

Over 300 bucks later, however some of the best headlight beam you'll ever had on any of your cars. Makes the litronic look like a rip-off once installed

Read at: Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)
Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
2002 Boxster S

Garage
I was wondering what amber blinkers would look like with clear corners, but I don't remember seeing that combo before. Looks good! The projectors and clear corners give it a great appearance.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Sorry to hear about the issue you are having. I had mine yellowed badly as well and decided to go for a totally new and modern looking front-end instead of just swapping the melted part.... which is not available btw

This:

Also offered in the color of your choice! High Performance Bi-Xenon Projector for Porsche headlight (RETROFIT KIT).

Over 300 bucks later, however some of the best headlight beam you'll ever had on any of your cars. Makes the litronic look like a rip-off once installed

Read at: Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)
New Lits are purtty nice............I'm very glad I was backed into!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #5

Fred, how about a pair of silver coated bulbs or LEDs in those side markers?

I tried both - silver bulbs were nice, but staying with LEDs for now.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter.k View Post
Hey Guys,

I started using 55w Philips Crystal Vision (not diamond vision) low beam halogen bulbs in my 00' 986S headlamps about six months ago. I wanted to use a bulb with slightly whiter light to better match some DRLs I added.

I have just recently started seeing burn damage and melting of my inner headlamp lens on both headlamps.

I thought I did my homework and selected a well reviewed bulb (with a slight blue tint). I didn't think I was at risk of damaging my headlamp since I stayed with 55w bulbs. Do some bulbs get hotter because they are designed to achieve a certain look? What am I missing here?

... On the damage control front, I am hoping to repair the damage done to the inner lenses. I have seen that the headlights can be successfully opened in previous posts, but are the inner lenses available for replacement? If not, has anyone had success removing the burn mark by resurfacing the lens?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Hi, do you drive with the high beam on very often?
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Hi, do you drive with the high beam on very often?
I rarely use the high beams at all.
winter.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #8

Me Too

I'm new to my Boxster S and to the forum. I too have a burn damaged lens on the driver side headlight cover. I'd this going to require a complete headlight replacement or will I be able to get away with just doing the cover ( I think it's too far gone to repair it). Thanks!
Jamezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamezo View Post
I'm new to my Boxster S and to the forum. I too have a burn damaged lens on the driver side headlight cover. I'd this going to require a complete headlight replacement or will I be able to get away with just doing the cover ( I think it's too far gone to repair it). Thanks!
If the inner lens on a halogen unit is burned, it can be removed and projectors like shown above can be installed. If your outer lens is damaged, you'll have to replace the headlight as you cannot buy parts for these.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #10

Rats! That's what I thought. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #11

Man you do nice work Nine8six.........Have not had to adjust headlights on my 2004/base before, but I assume ajustments would be made the same way on your projectors as the oem hali's? Cheers..... and again.......Nice Work brah!
TRPLBLK04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #12

Beam/direction adjustments with projectors are made by using the very same method as adjusting the (oem) halogen e.g. using the small hex adj Porsche tool and following Porsche's User Manual. Nothing changes there!

Thanks for the comment!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #13

Thanks again Nine8six
TRPLBLK04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #14

Headlight Burn Damage

Not being real familiar with these units, I just want to make sure that I'm correct. Here's a picture of the damage. It's on the inside of what appears to be the last lens of the headlight, but maybe there's more to this than I can see? I hope the photo is good enough to make sense out of... I just used my iPhone. There is a clear Bra on the lens as well.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Not being real familiar with these units, I just want to make sure that I'm correct. Here's a picture of the damage. It's on the inside of what appears to be the last lens of the headlight, but maybe there's more to this than I can see? I hope the photo is good enough to make sense out of... I just used my iPhone. There is a clear Bra on the lens as well.
It appears that your damage is from the fog light. The Fog light takes an H7 bulb. If you attempt to put a brighter bulb in there you risk this type of damage because they burn so much hotter. I have tried 35 watt HIDs and 55 watt Sylvenia bulbs for fog lights. Both cause the plastic lens to get very hot to the touch. I just ordered up some 120 LED 3528 SMD H7 Xenon White Head Light Lamp Bulbs that list the LM at 800. We'll see.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
It appears that your damage is from the fog light. The Fog light takes an H7 bulb. If you attempt to put a brighter bulb in there you risk this type of damage because they burn so much hotter. I have tried 35 watt HIDs and 55 watt Sylvenia bulbs. Both cause the plastic lens to get very hot to the touch. I just ordered up some 120 LED 3528 SMD H7 Xenon White Head Light Lamp Bulbs that list the LM at 800. We'll see.
I just recently bought the car and it was like this. It looks like I'll have to buy a whole new light, huh? I've started looking and these things are pretty pricey. No fog lights for me until I know of a solution. Please share what you find out with your new bulbs.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #17
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Not being real familiar with these units, I just want to make sure that I'm correct. Here's a picture of the damage. It's on the inside of what appears to be the last lens of the headlight, but maybe there's more to this than I can see?
Ouch...on a nice "clear" set, too. Yeah, those are toast (not repairable)
Old 01-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #18
Registered Boxster abuser

Yeah on a regular passenger car the one side of the lens would be open to atmosphere allowing it to cool, unfortunately on these lights the front side is enclosed and sealed not allowing the plastic lens to cool.

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halogen , headlamps , headlights , lights , projector