Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

Got a PDK 987.2 Boxster - coming here to say hello 986ers!

Hey guys - good to be back!

As some of you may remember, I had a blue 986 manual Boxster. I had purchased it on a whim to see how I'd like the experience, and in fact I really enjoyed it.

It was a good example, 2001 with around 57,000 miles. Earlier this year I made the decision to get rid of it, for two primary reasons. First, it had a number of issues that I'd have to address in order to keep it working up to spec. New top as my plastic window was cracked, LE and clutch upgrades, and some suspension refreshing for some noise. All in All, would have run around $4k or so.

Secondly, while I really liked the manual (It was my first!) my wife could not drive it and thus never warmed up to the car.

So, my plan was set into motion. After I sold it, about 8 months later I finally decided I wanted another Boxster. (Or Cayman, if I found the right one...)

I had decided to get an "S" this time, and a 2009 car with PDK. I waited until the winter hit in the Northeast for best deals, and picked up the perfect car:

2009 Boxster S, with PDK, Nav, Xenons, Bose, and remaining CPO warranty until 2015, with 44k miles. All of this for only $33k from a Porsche dealer!

I Figure that not having to replace the top and LE upgrades save me $4k off the bat, as the 987.2 has everything upgraded already.

So, for comparison purposes, there is obviously a huge difference in the cars both performance and technology wise, but when I start it up, you do catch a few glimpses of the 986, especially in the engine sound.

The 986 was fun in that you could put your foot down and really drive it to the wall and hear that sound, but the PDK S is another story - it feels super fast, especially that mid range torque. It also revs out nicely and you can still use it for fun in day to day driving, but it does have more power which is great. The 310 HP feels like 400 or more.

The tech is great, nav and bose as well. Makes it a fun cruiser when traffic is around.

I know many of you guys, like I did, eventually plan to go into a 987 or even 981 - and it's definitely worth it. Everything is a bit more refined and better - but the 986 is still a classic Porsche experience that is embedded in even the newer cars.

Tip: You can get a 2009 car like I did, and save literally half the price off a new 981. the 981 looks better and is a bit better, but it's sure not $40-$50k better!

Attached Images

rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #2

Wow! Thanks for the post. I am at the beginning stages of looking into a Boxster and I think I am headed down the same road you have traveled. It is good to hear from someone that dipped a toe into the water and then went out and bought a new swimming pool.

It is also great to see that a 2009 is fairly obtainable now since my dreams often exceed by bank account. Maybe in a year or two the 2009s will be in my budget.

Great Post!
rmac_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #3

I saw a couple of base 2009 PDK cars for like $29k as well, which I think is a great price. Heck, there are still 2006 cars that you see priced at $30k still.

Prices are all over the place, often very high. But if you take your time and find the right car at the right price, you can get good value for the money.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #4

Congrads on your purchase and welcome back. 09 in your price range is a no brainer. Enjoy the extra horses.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #5

GREAT looking 09.It's my understanding that the 09 is the first of the non IMS designed engines.

Btw,310 HP is the magic 10 lbs per HP target for all quick cars!

If I stay with Boxster's, my 2000 S will eventually go away in favor of one just like yours;but with a manual trans.
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #6

Wow! That is one sweet deal
A 2009 987.2 with PDK and PCM 3.0 and sans IMS for $33k, really nice
The first mod you should do is to replace the steering wheel with a paddle shifter wheel.
The wheel is around $1k from Suncoast and the swap is an easy, less than an hour DIY
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #7

That's exactly what I was thinking, Chris. Swap that wheel for flappy paddles. Far more fun, especially at a D.E.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #8

Garage
Welcome back! Great looking ride! You are correct that a newer Boxster is in my future, eventually I want a 2013 but it will be a few years before they come down to what I want to spend. Enjoy the new ride and Happy New Year
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #9

you got the car everybody wants , lucky fella
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #10

310 hp sounds sexy.
alanqning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #11

8 months later you decided you wanted another Boxster?
I seem to recall your having almost immediate separation anxiety from the moment you handed over the keys!

But well played, a year ago a 987.2 would have cost you quiet a bit more from what I could see in listings. Next winter when a 987.2 or 997.2 is fully a year out of warranty, they will be the best deal on modern Porsches in quiet some time. There are just so many second-hand Porsches in the market now and lending will probably tighten up over the next year with the Fed finally starting to scale back. More cars, less borrowing.

p.s.
I would argue that a well maintained 986 S with IMS already replaced (and serviceable -- you don't need to spend $3K for an IMS swap), a new waterpump, AOS and shocks for mid-teens is the best deal of all.
You're pretty close to depreciation floor in a Porsche that is NOT neglected and performs well and still have $15-18K in your bank account over a 2009-2011 Boxster.
Problem is most owners with these cars know it's a good deal, don't miss the payments (or one big payment) and won't part with the car after all the work.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-02-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post

p.s.
I would argue that a well maintained 986 S with IMS already replaced (and serviceable -- you don't need to spend $3K for an IMS swap), a new waterpump, AOS and shocks for mid-teens is the best deal of all.
You're pretty close to depreciation floor in a Porsche that is NOT neglected and is indeed fully performing.
Problem is most owners with these cars know it's a good deal, don't miss the payments (or one big payment) and won't part with the car after all the work.
I would be one of those 986S owners that would never sell. Bought it for a song with 40k on it and it lived all its life here in Phoenix, did all the fixes (an indie did the work at a very reasonable $80/hr) and now it is like a new car. What do you get for this kind of money that's fun and looks gorgeous. Maybe a very used hot hatch?

Can't wait for 987.2 prices to drop more. That would be the only thing that would get me to sell my 986S.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
I would be one of those 986S owners that would never sell. Bought it for a song with 40k on it and it lived all its life here in Phoenix, did all the fixes (an indie did the work at a very reasonable $80/hr) and now it is like a new car. What do you get for this kind of money that's fun and looks gorgeous. Maybe a very used hot hatch?
I agree, you can't find a better car for the money without having to kick in more cash or living with a new monthly payment you didn't have before. I still get at least one compliment from total strangers (which is saying something in NJ) on nearly every top down drive. Little do they know they could have the car for less than the price of a Hyundai Sonata, sorry a used Sonata.

I overhauled my suspension recently, and although pricey this is one fix people should do sooner than later. It really leaves the car handling like a brand new, right off the showroom car.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #14

Thanks for the responses guys!

Some comments:

As per the buttons on the steering wheel for shifting the PDK, this is how I feel about them:

Yes, the sport steering wheel with real paddles looks more appealing and motorsport inspired. But truth of the matter is, the buttons really work just fine when you get used to them. It's actually a lot of fun to use, and very easy to do so. Took me very little time to get used to their function. I drive in manual mode a lot - on the highway, in the curvy roads, etc - and they are easy to use, never do I get confused with their direction.

Secondly - you guys are right, you can get a serious "value for money' proposition if you find the right car.

Here's how I feel: I took a look at the newer 981 cars. Off the bat, the design outside and inside are better.

But, when I break it down - the newer ones have nearly the same engine, PDK, navigation, and overall "feel" as my 2009 Boxster.

So you get a very similar driving experience behind the wheel of a 2009 S as you would with a 2014 S. The difference here is nearly $40k-$50k to have that very small improvement.

That makes a depreciated car outstanding value for the money.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Sure Rondo rub it in. And for that 33k extra I paid you can still sting me in a 0 to 60 . To top it off my car is selling used now for $8k less used . I remember my dream car was a 2009 S with Red and Tan. I must have woke up one morning deranged to spend that extra money.

But she's still hotter, just sayin

PS. the Macan is looking hot to me too .

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #16

^PDK in the 981 is not the same as the PDK before it.
By comparison the early stuff has a lag. Improved since and completely gone in 991 GT3. Which means PDK in the Boxster/Cayman and Carrera should be getting an upgrade soon.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
Track rat

Garage
Nicely played Rondocap! I have owned my 986 for 8 years and it has served me well but the 2009+ sirens are calling. Must resist...
Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #18
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Nicely played Rondocap! I have owned my 986 for 8 years and it has served me well but the 2009+ sirens are calling. Must resist...
It must be a loud siren because they all exist a long way from you .

2009 Porsche Boxster S, $36,500 - Cars.com
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #19

^ nice one. Bet you can take that one home for $35K or less, it being winter...
16K miles is a showroom cherry S.

I'm going to guess $30K will get you into a private seller 2009 by next winter.