Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
2004 Boxster S

Any photos/tips for wiring this up?

Tried to search but am not having any luck.

I'm looking for tips and photos on the best way to run wires between 1) a dash switch and the fusebox, and 2) the fusebox and the engine compartment. The install will be the electrics for controlling my homemade valved exhaust.

I'd would like to disassemble as few things as possible, so it would be good to know if the switch-to-fusebox wiring can be fished through under the dash. Also good to know if the oddments tray next to the driver's seat is easily removed as a path for the wiring to the back of the cockpit. And finally, where to find a grommet to sneak the wires through to the engine bay.

Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited by evan9eleven; 12-29-2013 at 02:13 AM.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #2

I used this DIY for installing my heated seats: Dennis Vogel: Projects - Boxster Heated Seats

It had a good description of the process for disassembling the lower part of the dash and removing the center console to run wiring under it. It also provides the part numbers and procedures for tapping into the center fuse box. If you use this to take apart the dash and console, you will see several options for running the wire.

There is a rubber grommet behind the center console that you can push a wire through. You may have to remove the sound-deadening material covering the rear bulkhead, but that is easy.

By the way, this is the part that you need to connect to the fuse box:

Repair Wire 000 979 227 [Wide 2.5mm] - 000979227 - IDParts.com

It comes with two connectors, and I only needed one. If you want the extra, send me a PM and I'll let you have it for $5 plus shipping. I see that you are in Europe, so I'm not sure if there are import restrictions that make this type of transaction difficult.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 12-28-2013 at 07:52 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I used this DIY for installing my heated seats: Dennis Vogel: Projects - Boxster Heated Seats

It had a good description of the process for disassembling the lower part of the dash and removing the center console to run wiring under it. It also provides the part numbers and procedures for tapping into the center fuse box. If you use this to take apart the dash and console, you will see several options for running the wire.

There is a rubber grommet behind the center console that you can push a wire through. You may have to remove the sound-deadening material covering the rear bulkhead, but that is easy.

By the way, this is the part that you need to connect to the fuse box:

Repair Wire 000 979 227 [Wide 2.5mm] - 000979227 - IDParts.com

It comes with two connectors, and I only needed one. If you want the extra, send me a PM and I'll let you have it for $5 plus shipping. I see that you are in Europe, so I'm not sure if there are import restrictions that make this type of transaction difficult.

Thanks Kevin for the info and the offer of parts. I ordered a fuse tap adapter. You pull out a fuse, and the adapter plugs in its place, plus has a socket for the fuse you took out, plus a wire for supplying 12V to whatever you're connecting.

Looks like the big pass-through in the rear bulkhead is the easiest way to go, a few zip ties to keep things tidy and safe and I'm set:

I'm only running one tiny 12V wire to the engine compartment so I may be able to just tuck it up under the center console edge without taking anything apart. Otherwise, there is the route I mentioned originally along the door sill, like this guy did in his 996:

I'll post a write-up when I get it done.

Last edited by evan9eleven; 12-30-2013 at 07:25 AM.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote