Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #41
olly986

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
The book I thought was better. The movie was good. I love the guy with the indecipherable Scottish accent.

another curious movie starred Brad Pitt as an Irish tinker who fights for money(I forget the name but it wasn't Fight Club). Pitt affects a thick accent that sounds like gibberish. My Irish friend Declan says it in fact was gibberish but that the nomadic tinkers do speak a difficult to understand dialect.

yes good movie too, here tinkers are also known as nackers, one of Guy Richie Movie (mr Madonna) and called Snatch i think and the Scottish lad is none other than obi wan kenobi himself Ewan Mc Gregor.

one other thing about jealousy is that i have never given the fingers to any other driver more than when driving the boxster. hope i will not get finger arthritis as long that i drive a Porsche.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51
I get a lot of what I perceive as jealousy from my co-workers. A lot of unspoken attitude. Funny. Most don't want to ride in it because they will have to say nice car.

On the road I get a lot of challenges from BMWs/Corvettes. You can't race if you wanted to on California freeways during commute times. I have the most fun when people try to keep up and I go hard into a turn no brakes leaning hard on the corner. I am still on the throttle and they are on the brakes. They also do not realize how hard this cheap Porsche can excellerate.
There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche my friend...
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #43

Jealousy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBsOlUt
There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche my friend...
How true!!! Kidding of course. I must also say that I was approached by co-worker who saw me getting out of the car and he pulled up and said I see that car every working morning and I have always wanted a Porsche. As soon as a pay off my kids school bills I am going to buy one.

Anyone who is into cars knows the name Porsche and they at least want to drive one if not own one. This is my second Porsche and I have always raved about them because I think they can make you a better driver. Rather than not let my wife drive the car I feel better knowing that she is safer in it then in most other cars. I am not talking about the four airbags I am talking about the great excelleration, handling and wonderful brakes.

When I want to lift someone's mood I just throw them the keys. It takes about a day to get the smile off their face. I look forward to every day I get to drive my car. I figure I am a lucky guy. Happy Motoring.
RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #44

No offense but my C5 has no issue keeping up with a Boxster S in any turn.

Both are fine cars indeed and I love them both.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #45

I've been getting compliments off the road almost everyday (still occurs).

On the road, I had an experience where a "homie looking Mexican Thug" was in the passenger side of a late 80's nissan sentra? Anyways, we were going about 40-45 miles on a regular road, and their car crept up to the side of me. My Top was down, and I heard him yelling out something in a threatening way. We eventually made eye contact when they were parallel, and it turned out that he was an old friend/co-worker. His facial experssion was a "surprised" one. We said our "what's ups", and, as they drove off I saw his head nod side to side in humiliation.
ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:01 AM   #46

I get a lot of jealous remarks and shallow comments at work, and when I bought the car a few months ago, people made such a big deal about it I didn't want to even answer questions about it. I had coworkers tell me they are pissed because they are obviously not making as much as me. Once someone came up to me and ask how much the car was purchased for in front of the whole office, and waited paitently for an answer while everyone looked on. How rude can you get.

As far as traffic is concerned, Houston is pretty bad for porsche drivers. I mainly see three types of drivers, jealous people (kids) who just want to "show you up" in their (usually) crappy looking ride by doing a fly by or revving their engine with autozone exaust system, meat heads who would love to shove your head in their trucks 5" dual exaust because you bought a german car, and the normal people who don't care. I do NOT get this much negative attention driving my mustang around.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:18 AM   #47

Ethan, do you notice that here in Houston people like to ride your butt to be up close and personal to a Porsche? It think some of that is envy, some jealousy (let's crowd the rich guy in the rich car) and some of it is just tailgating.

Hey, how's that shiny front fender doing? Is it bragging to the other painted surfaces as to how nice it looks? If I were buying a new (or newer) Porsche today, I'd have your color blue. Gorgeous!

(Ethan came over Sunday and I buffed out a fender to show him the miraculous powers of Menzerna, Klasse AIO and a PC buffer!)
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Ethan, do you notice that here in Houston people like to ride your butt to be up close and personal to a Porsche? It think some of that is envy, some jealousy (let's crowd the rich guy in the rich car) and some of it is just tailgating.

Hey, how's that shiny front fender doing? Is it bragging to the other painted surfaces as to how nice it looks? If I were buying a new (or newer) Porsche today, I'd have your color blue. Gorgeous!

(Ethan came over Sunday and I buffed out a fender to show him the miraculous powers of Menzerna, Klasse AIO and a PC buffer!)

I do, and it is noticeably worse than any other car I have driven. I havn't been able to pin down the exact reason why, but Ill agree with you that it is a mix of jealousy (seems like if they envied the car they would do so from a safe distance) and just the way people drive in Houston. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Houston had 12.45 fatalities per 100,000 population in 2002 – far higher than the fatality rates for Philadelphia (8.11), Chicago (7.90), Los Angeles (7.24) or New York (4.39). In fact, Houston-area drivers are two and a half more times likely to be killed or injured in a traffic accident than the national average.

On a happier note, the fender is looking good :-) I got the rest of the car cleaned up with regular stuff, and in the bright sun you can see that the panel we did together still looks a little smoother. That stuff really does make a difference, and over time Im sure it would be even more noticeable.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #49
bmussatti

I gotta think some people tail-gate just to see the rear wing go up and/or down!
Old 02-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #50

I plan on installing some type of mirror/periscope so I too can watch the rear spoiler go up and down.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #51
olly986

another thing that happens to me is that we are basically fighting for parking space at the back of restaurant with vans of the national telephone company (they have their office there too) once i found one of their van parked literally in my rear bumper!
it is funny but when i park my van with metal rear ball sticking out they always stay away!
and you should see their faces when i park, jealousy is nothing there must be a stronger word for these gob ****************e!