Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 05:46 AM   #21

I've only had a couple of smart arse comments from people at work "they must be paying you too much", but I'm already used to it as my last car was a BMW.

Can't say I've have too many ricers try and race me, although I have had a few middle aged old blokes in modern day muscle cars (Monaros/GTOs I think you call them in the States) have a go. But it's too hard to speed in inner Sydney, just too many cars.

Have had one person remark that it was a 'poor mans Porsche' which is funny considering a used 'S' still goes for around $85K Aussie. I just asked them politely what car they drove, the response was they didn't drive anything or have a license for that matter.

Patto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
I once had some really freaky front grille-less painted-over-logo mini-van glued to my Boxster's butt for over 10 miles on two highways before a stupendous act of evasive driving (IMHO ) on my part.

Finally found a point where I could put on the sting... watched for a point where I was coming up on an exit and had two car lengths free on the left, put on the left blinker, started left (as does he) and then I ducked right into the single car length open on that side. Now I'm behind him and take my next exit... and he's stuck for several more miles. Loop around and take the back roads to my appointment.
Good move, donv. Maverick patented this manuever in Top Gun.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #23

I don't think there is any bias with CA drivers. They ALL drive like maniacs and it makes no difference what car gets in their way.

Terrible, just terrible.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I don't think there is any bias with CA drivers. They ALL drive like maniacs and it makes no difference what car gets in their way.

Terrible, just terrible.
Oh right right you are. You can have $500 bucket or a $440000 Carrera GT,we all equally dislike each other.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #25
olly986

Hi guys, just back from my holiday and missed you all!!
Here the most common happening to me is if I pass a car at speed at night ( its a Porsche I m driving!) the sucker will leave his full beam on which means that you are totally blinded being low on the road, usually a quick break and rear fog light later and if i am lucky they switch their high beams down, it is so annoying, also the common will I or won't I go at a crossing by the time your there they decide to go on front of you and drive at 30mph just to piss you off, Irish drivers are crap!!
we can drive a car on a provisional licence for ever, as long that you try to pass your test once every two years and you have the money to pay for the extra insurance cost, you can be on the road driving by yourself with no full licence, UNBELIEVABLE!! and if you are a woman your insurance will be cheaper than a man with ten years of full licence and no crashes!
it is always nice to hear the kids going: Nice car meeester! and some people do appreciate our cars, not like one of my neighbours who said that he would not come to eat in my restaurant anymore because he would'nt pay for my Porsche, what a plonker.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:26 AM   #26

Olly, I love the way you spell neighbour as it once again proves that yanks spell this word wrong (see my last name... the 1/4 English background in my lineage is where my surname came from!)

Hey, we yanks don't understand some of your words, but we want to learn. Please define "plonker" as that's a new one for me.

And what kind of food do you serve in your restaurant?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #27

With my current Z4 - since its a very new car on the market plus its a..."bimmer" I have received ton of good comments but several bad ones as well. I ignore them completely even if they are very frustrating.

I think the Boxster 986 I am about to get has less flashy looks and while a much better car than the Z4 I think just the emblem "Porsche" is what makes it stand out. If it was same looks but another brand it wouldnt have made such a huge BAM! if you know what I mean...

People are jealous in this world and they would love to drive a car we do. But no anyone gets what they want...thats life...
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:31 AM   #28
olly986

"plonker" someone between a wanker (i don't know if i can write this word on such a nice forum ) and an ****************************! haven't you seen The Commitments movie or the Snapper, two really good Irish movies, one of the top of plonker coming out of here is Colin Farrel for exemple!!
As for dinner tonight we have some lovely locally caught fish, Scallops, John Dory, Seabass and Hake with of course run in the field last month beef and lamb!!
bon appetit!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #29
olly986

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBsOlUt
With my current Z4 - since its a very new car on the market plus its a..."bimmer" I have received ton of good comments but several bad ones as well. I ignore them completely even if they are very frustrating.

I think the Boxster 986 I am about to get has less flashy looks and while a much better car than the Z4 I think just the emblem "Porsche" is what makes it stand out. If it was same looks but another brand it wouldnt have made such a huge BAM! if you know what I mean...

People are jealous in this world and they would love to drive a car we do. But no anyone gets what they want...thats life...
the Z4 looks like a soap bar on wheels!!
sorry just had to have a go, glad to hear that you will get a nice sport car soon
Old 02-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #30

This thread reminds me of the movie Space Balls. When Rick Moranis walks into the guidance consoles of the space ship and asks the console operator his name Lt. ****************************,and he responds Major ****************************, and the fellow next to him at the console, Capt. **************************** he then asked the officer that walked in with Helmet and your name he responds Major ****************************! Helmet quips "What am I surrounded by ****************************s?''- that is like the fellows that drive next to Porsches. They have this insatiable thirst to pound our car by dazzling speed and questionable moves. Naturally these individuals are part of the Space Balls crew in their hopped up cars, Hondas with exhaust pipes that look like pizzas, 3 Series BMW are notorious at this, that is in the driving mode. IN the talking mode with coworkers when my wife bought me the car where I was working I was the recipient of many and numerous ill mannered remarks too offensive to mention here. Midlife crisis, this envy and that absurdity. One day I had enough after a particular nasty remark I answered "after all your nasty remarks and bad jokes guess what? I have the Porsche and you don't! Now I will go to the garage and drop the top and have a wonderful ride home.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986
"plonker" someone between a wanker (i don't know if i can write this word on such a nice forum ) and an ****************************! haven't you seen The Commitments movie or the Snapper, two really good Irish movies, one of the top of plonker coming out of here is Colin Farrel for exemple!!
As for dinner tonight we have some lovely locally caught fish, Scallops, John Dory, Seabass and Hake with of course run in the field last month beef and lamb!!
bon appetit!
What's a wanker?

If you keep using words that aren't found in the dictionary to describe other words not found in the dictionary, I'll never figure out how you people talk!

Could the amount of marmite you eat be the root cause of the odd accent and the wierd made up words?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #32
olly986

Randall the answer is still Colin Farrel !!!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #33

ok, Colin Farrel it is. I checked www.imdb.com and discovered he's a real good looking young man with 28 films under his belt. What makes him a plonker? A role he played in a recent movie? His antics around a big city in your country?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #34
olly986

No his antics in big cities in your country man, I know women loves him, 28 movies, not bad, the latest one is a home made one that just reached the news, in the Paris Hilton way, he drinks and smokes too much do drugs and had problems with the law on numerous occasions, have attended rehab and all, not a role model for new generations to come, but hey he is not the only plonker on my list you know just an exemple !
by the way I guess that probably makes Paris a plonkerette?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #35

This is kinda fun, having traveled in the UK and worked with a couple guys from Ireland. (And having read "Trainspotting" ) I don't see Colin Farrell as a wanker. In the US he affects the "badboy" persona which so many women love. And many hate.

other cool words capable of faux pas(tell me if I get these right);

a rubber = eraser
suspenders = garter
a vest = undershirt
bird = woman
Bloody Yank = American who just committed a faux pas
fag = cigarette

windscreen
boot
roundabout
Old 02-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #36
olly986

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
This is kinda fun, having traveled in the UK and worked with a couple guys from Ireland. (And having read "Trainspotting" ) I don't see Colin Farrell as a wanker. In the US he affects the "badboy" persona which so many women love. And many hate.

other cool words capable of faux pas(tell me if I get these right);

a rubber = eraser
suspenders = garter
a vest = undershirt
bird = woman
Bloody Yank = American who just committed a faux pas
fag = cigarette

windscreen
boot
roundabout
that's right also
Boot =trunk
hood=soft top
Shag=

trainspotting=very cool movie
Old 02-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #37

Do they still call Americans... Yanks ...over-there?

bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #38
olly986

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSbob
Do they still call Americans... Yanks ...over-there?

bob

yep!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986

trainspotting=very cool movie
The book I thought was better. The movie was good. I love the guy with the indecipherable Scottish accent.

another curious movie starred Brad Pitt as an Irish tinker who fights for money(I forget the name but it wasn't Fight Club). Pitt affects a thick accent that sounds like gibberish. My Irish friend Declan says it in fact was gibberish but that the nomadic tinkers do speak a difficult to understand dialect.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:14 PM   #40

Talking Jealousy

I get a lot of what I perceive as jealousy from my co-workers. A lot of unspoken attitude. Funny. Most don't want to ride in it because they will have to say nice car.

On the road I get a lot of challenges from BMWs/Corvettes. You can't race if you wanted to on California freeways during commute times. I have the most fun when people try to keep up and I go hard into a turn no brakes leaning hard on the corner. I am still on the throttle and they are on the brakes. They also do not realize how hard this cheap Porsche can excellerate.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote