Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #21

Amazon has eight sets of the caps in stock for $10 delivered.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Amazon has eight sets of the caps in stock for $10 delivered.
Send Woodsman a set for XMASS !
Old 12-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
A set of regular lug bolts will run about $200, so that doesn't sound expensive at all. It actually sounds really cool. Can you post a pic?

Can I put my plastic covers over them? (j/k!!)
Mark, $350 don't even cover for the metal alone (lol). You should see this stuff.... not from our planet for sure. I just got it cheap and now getting rid of it. Lugs is what fellow pcar mates here recommended. We'll end up with more shiny stuff soon :/

Will grab a few shots of course
Old 12-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #24

Good stuff, reasonable!

Set 20 Porsche Boxster 996 997 Bimecc Wheel Bolts OE M14X1 50 R14 45mm Black | eBay
Old 12-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #25

I have the chrome plastic covers on mine also. I think they look good!
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #26

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #27

I too am beginning to wonder what Woodsman's problem is with JD. Awhile ago he attacked his car and now he calls him 'our leader' and says 'Poo Poo.' I mean, Woodsman, there is life after High School! Whatever it is, get over it!
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Send Woodsman a set for XMASS !
No poo poo please!

Last edited by woodsman; 12-22-2013 at 11:48 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
I too am beginning to wonder what Woodsman's problem is with JD. Awhile ago he attacked his car and now he calls him 'our leader' and says 'Poo Poo.' I mean, Woodsman, there is life after High School! Whatever it is, get over it!
By 'attacking his car' are you referring to when I said his car isn't 'custom' as you had called it? I've built 2 custom vehicles and as such feel we should use our words more carefully- maybe you need to look around the entire car scene so as to get a grip on what's out there-- get educated you base-car bum!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #30

Woodsman, I did not call his car 'custom'. The post you refer to was #84 in JD's 'thinking of buying a 981' thread and I called his car "an immaculate, tastefully upgraded example." I still believe that to be the case. Your response was that "the only thing special about jd's car is the 'I can't drive mileage'. You are the one who should choose your words carefully in your attempts to denigrate other's cars, their use of their cars and their posts.

Cheers!

Brad
Old 12-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #31

If I might jump in for a moment, I think we might have a misunderstanding here and the real issue is about the tone of Woodsman's comments rather than the actual content. I think Brad is wondering if Woodsman actually has a hate on for JD or if his caustic remarks are just a ribbing all in good fun. Sometimes it can be hard to tell, which is why we have emoticons.

If I say something nasty, and put that green smiley face after it, you know I'm just yanking your chain. If I don't then there is a pretty good chance that I actually mean what I just said, not that I would ever actually be nasty to someone, well, except for that DICK that gave a a hard time about putting oil in my coolant tank by mistake that time. But he really deserved it.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #32

Mark, I try to distinguish between good-natured ribbing and insults; indeed, I did not respond to the comment that I "get educated, you base car bum" as it was obviously intended in gest as per the emoticon. I do, howver, object to revisionist history (I did not suggest JD's car was 'custom'). I also object to offhanded dismissal of anyone's Porsche, not just JD's. I was attempting to keep the thread on point by suggesting that, before selling the Dangermobile, JD carefully consider that he has modified it to suit his own tastes and that it has probably already depreciated as much as it is going to depreciate. Woodman's comments to the effect that his car was nothing special were, IMO, an insult in that context. Insulting somebody's Porsche (especially one that is obviously loved and well cared for) is almost as bad as insulting somebody's wife. If you don't like somebody's spouse or Porsche, fine. But unless specifically asked for, it generally leads to a better atmosphere on a site to keep those opinions to yourself!

As to JD being "our leader", what does that mean? While he has contributed greatly to keeping this site interesting and, yes fun, he has never made that claim nor has anyone else, so far as I am aware. Further the comment suggests that as JD is "our" leader, he is obviously not his. I still have no idea what that means, although it certainly implies that he wants to distance himself from JD and his opinions. Again fine, although I am unsure how it advances this or any thread.

Anyone who has followed this site knows that JD doesn't need the support of me or anyone else. I just found that Woodsman's comments were, in relation to my own post, inaccurate (interesting for someone who is suggesting that I should choose my words carefully) and in relation to another member's car, a bit insulting and inflammatory.

Brad
Old 12-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #33

Thanks Southernstar for correcting my assumption that ' one of a kind' is the same as 'custom'. It is not and may I say jd's car is a perfect example of this! I was merely trying to rein in your high- schoolish enthusium about jd's car. I have noticed this is a pattern for you whenever you address jd. ( may I point out that jd's picture is decades old!
Old 12-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #34

Well, now we have no misunderstanding about Woodsman's tone. Lets face it, there is at least one on every site. And speaking of high school, at least now we understand his comment about JD being 'our leader' - he is jealous about JD's' popularity on this site and the fact that some, like myself, like his car. Sorry woodsman that others don't laugh at your jokes or compliment your car in the same way.

If it soothes your fragile ego, you should at least understand that this was in the context of JD inquiring about whether he should sell his current car and purchase a new 981. In that context I had the temerity to suggest that as he had put together a 2000S that uniquely suited his own taste, he should keep it.

Is there another pristine 2000 S with an upgraded dual-row IMS bearing in speed yellow with comparable mileage, the same perfectly installed and faired aero-kit, identical rims, exhaust etc.? Perhaps. In fact, I have seen others on this site who are now doing 'similar' mods to their own cars. Whether or not you share my opinion is hardly the point - at least my post in that thread was relevant to the question at hand. Your dismissal of his current vehicle was just that - a negative comment that in no way answered the question at hand, even if it made you feel better.

On the subject of this thread, for practical reasons many would prefer to keep their original lug nuts, although they would prefer not to have to keep repainting them to cover the inevitable rust. Lets face it, shiney lug nuts - whether stainless, polished aluminum, or merely covers over the originals, are purely cosmetic. Indeed, although prone to rust, the original steel lug nuts are stronger than aluminum or stainless (although nine8six's titanium ones would be stronger still).

In that context, what is wrong with shiny covers that leave the original lugs nuts and eliminate the need for painting, even if they are made in China? I am glad that you have aluminum ones that came with your GT3 RS wheel spacers (pictures???), but have you thought about the risk of corrosion when dissimilar metals come into contact in conjunction with water and air?

Anyway, I am confident that anyone who has read your posts in this thread and the one where he inquired about purchasing a new 981 can see your true colours (Canadian spelling). Your choice of words makes it clear that your primary purpose was in attacking JD and his vehicle rather than in engaging in a rational discussion about the question at hand.

Brad
Old 12-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #35

Garage
Let me set the record straight. Woodsman could never insult me or my vehicle. And, the part about the photo of the Dangermobile being a decade old is just nuts. In fact, the oldest photo that I've posted here - is from about 2009, and rest are from the last two summers. As far as being anyone's leader on the forum is concerned, while I find Woodsman's new found tittle for me to be a great honor, as Southernstar and others have pointed out, I simple try to contribute a mix of serious and humorous interplay here on the forum. And, for the most part, I'd like to think others enjoy it. However, if my zaniness or penchant for prurient has ever offended anyone, I offer them my sincere apology. For someone to simply dislike me for no apparent reason - that is unfortunate. But, on the other hand they can kindly kiss my a**. Happy holidays !

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 12-18-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #36

fake $10 chrome lug nuts came in. Will post pics as soon as I pay my $2K+ indy bill for my suspension/wheel bearing overhaul.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Let me set the record straight. Woodsman could never insult me or my vehicle. And, the part about the photo of the Dangermobile being a decade old is just nuts. In fact, the oldest photo that I've posted here - is from about 2009, and rest are from the last two summers. As far as being anyone's leader on the forum is concerned, while I find Woodsman's new found tittle for me to be a great honor, as Southernstar and others have pointed out, I simple try to contribute a mix of serious and humorous interplay here on the forum. And, for the most part, I'd like to think others enjoy it. However, if my zaniness or penchant for prurient has ever offended anyone, I offer them my sincere apology. For someone to simply dislike me for no apparent reason - that is unfortunate. But, on the other hand they can kindly kiss my a**. Happy holidays !
I was talking about the avatar photo.
Southernstar: you're right!
Perfectlap: sorry for the unpleasantness I've caused in your thread.

Last edited by woodsman; 12-18-2013 at 11:30 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #38

Woodsman, now I know you are joking - I am never right!

Brad