Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #1

Top Gear

Did anyone see the last episode of Top Gear. Tanner picked a Boxster for his mid-life crisis vehicle. It was a yellow 99 model. Nothing good said about the vehicle at all. He drove it like it was worth $10.00. Didn't have a lot of respect for the show but now have lost all respect. Any other comments?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #2

American Top Gear, I'm embarrassed for those guys. Absolutely NO originality whatsoever regarding their "Challenges", every segment is a ripoff of the Brits. Surprised they haven't started making cracks about "Yanks" yet.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #3

Ahhh, I didn't know you had a US Top Gear (I was wondering who "Tanner" was).

The Australian Top Gear from a couple of years ago only lasted about 5 episodes before it was pulled off air. Dreadful content and, as you say, just trying to imitate the Brits - and failing dismally....
Old 12-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #4

The american top gear is a total joke . a bunch of asses
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #5

Garage
And why is it on History???
Old 12-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
The american top gear is a total joke . a bunch of asses
Agreed. The US version is disgusting
Old 12-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
Did anyone see the last episode of Top Gear. Tanner picked a Boxster for his mid-life crisis vehicle. It was a yellow 99 model. Nothing good said about the vehicle at all. He drove it like it was worth $10.00. Didn't have a lot of respect for the show but now have lost all respect. Any other comments?
Have not seen that episode yet, but all they need is a couple good blokes!
They often film the show at the same place where the local PCA OC region has our autoX, a closed USMC airstation base runway.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #8

The UK version is pretty horrific these days, too. You get the odd decent episode, but it's been painfully cringeworthy for years.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
The UK version is pretty horrific these days, too. You get the odd decent episode, but it's been painfully cringeworthy for years.
Agreed. Them driving sweet cars from Italy to France to England and capping on folks in small villages gets old fast. Yes, they drive sweeeeeet cars.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Pretty much this. Can always count on them to make snarky commentary about some car that doesn't fit into what's "proper". I know it's an entertainment show and all, just doesn't do much for me. Do remember the other versions are still tied in to BBC, hence similar content.

However, I can say of TG:US that Rutledge is a pretty chill guy (from what I've heard people talk of him at The Car Lounge) and does love cars. So hey.

Then again I prefer Motorweek to TG...
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #11

I would like to ask the producers of this show what is really going on. Content really took a nose dive some time ago. Still watch every now and then because you get to see a review of a super car but thats not on every episode.

Few weeks ago there was a race between Tanner in the Gt3 and the Stig. Was hoping to catch the episode with the Boxster but it sounds like I missed nothing. Seems like want the show to suck. No effort at all. Damn you TWC give me my speed channel back!!
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
I would like to ask the producers of this show what is really going on. Content really took a nose dive some time ago. Still watch every now and then because you get to see a review of a super car but thats not on every episode.

Few weeks ago there was a race between Tanner in the Gt3 and the Stig. Was hoping to catch the episode with the Boxster but it sounds like I missed nothing. Seems like want the show to suck. No effort at all. Damn you TWC give me my speed channel back!!

Unfortunately the Speed Channel was dissolved, it went into a downward spiral ever since NASCAR bought it. When every other show went to the reality based, sideways hat wearin', bleep out every third word BS who could of seen that coming........ Good Lord, I'm turning into my father.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #13

I love the UK version and always have. The American versions...well there were some tolerable episodes as Adam is pretty funny (and the only reason I watched it) but the other two, especially Tanner, is very annoying and as my wife and I say "Top Gear America is Top Gear for Dummies". The Boxster episode was the last straw for me...never watching it again.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

Wasn't it Jeremy Clarkson who said theses nothing more gay than two guys in a Boxster?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
Won't be too bothered by an arse who can't tell his balls from his dick (if he had one to begin with). Just enjoy your ride.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind View Post
I love the UK version and always have. The American versions...well there were some tolerable episodes as Adam is pretty funny (and the only reason I watched it) but the other two, especially Tanner, is very annoying and as my wife and I say "Top Gear America is Top Gear for Dummies". The Boxster episode was the last straw for me...never watching it again.
Problem is, Top Gear UK is a total nightmare if you're a car lover.

Firstly, they don't review cars properly, it's all about making scripted gags and having everything fit to whatever narrative they've chosen for that ep, which usually has more to do with silly prejudices than what the cars are actually like.

Secondly, TG UK is such a big, lumbering beast, it now defines what pretty much all non-car people about car culture. Don't talk to non car people about cars as Top Gear with inevitably come up!

To be really clear, TG UK is not a car show. It's a light entertainment family show that just happens to be about cars.

Personally, find it tragic that they have all that budget and all those production skills and it's all thrown away on the same repetitive, formulaic scripted nonsense nearly every week.

I don't blame them. They've hit on a formula that's making them all very, very rich. I'd do the same. It's just a disaster if you a car lover.

Rant over!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Wasn't it Jeremy Clarkson who said theses nothing more gay than two guys in a Boxster?
It was " nothing more gay than two guys in convertible" when they were driving bentley continental convertible
peterek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #18

Jeremy is always talking trash about Porsche because Captain Slow owns a Boxster and shorty owns a 911.
2005 Ford F-150 Monster Truck
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #19

Garage
I watch Top Gear for entertainment. I don't really care for the reviews, but like the challenges they have. Top Gear shouldn't be taken too seriously, and should be for entertainment. It's drawn controversy for false reviews and rigged scripts. First thing that comes to mind is the Tesla episode.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
I watch Top Gear for entertainment.
Ditto. I still loved the Trump episode challenges. Trying to beat a golf ball while wearing a toupee in a convertible was funny to me. Also putting those old ladies in those cars to race around the track was also damn funny.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote