Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #1

My new Porsche - she's a beaut!

My first post!

2000 Boxster S. Speed yellow. Such a head turner, I love it. Part of me wishes I hadn't read up on the IMS issues with these cars, as I was blissfully unaware and pushing her to her limits, lately I've been gentler.

What I've done so far:

-Replaced several interior trim parts, center console, air vents, etc (interior is now nearly flawless)
-"De-ambered" the side markers for the clear european version and swapped tail lights for LED DEPO lights (stored original parts if I decide to switch them back)
-New Polk audio speakers, kept the OEM headunit (I like the stock look) but installed an AUX cable
-Installed LED DRLs (still undecided if I like these)
-Had a few trunk lid dents repaired by paintless dent repair guys (absolutely amazing work)
-My AOS crapped out, installed a new one, 4 hours and several sore joints later, no more smoke cloud of doom
-Previous owner has been using Mobil 1 0W40, car runs perfectly, decided to stick with what's been working, checked oil filter, no debris

So far I've been loving this car, let me know what you guys think!

jongorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
It's a beauty. Looks very well kept. Keep the revs up. How many miles on it? Oh yes welcome to the forum and good for you putting up pics without being asked!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

SWEET!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #4

+1 Recycled....

Curious also about the mileage? History of past maintenance since you just did the AOS, and cudos for doing it yourself, sounds like you're willing to maintain the vehicle. You can find all the help you need here for sure, great site. IMS??? you'll get all different opinions, just did my 85k oil change, struggled to find anything in the filter but two tiny specks of chain pad material... Watch the filters and change the oil at 5k, if you're more concerned you can always install the Guardian. Keep the revs up, seems to be a consensus here that lugging the engine puts unnecessary torque on the bearing. Get it up to temp then 3k+ rev driving...

Awesome ride, she is beautiful!
psquared39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #5

Love the Sport Design wheels with the colored crests! I am running those wheels with b/w caps on a silver car
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #6

She's at 48,000 miles currently. I've been driving her exclusively this summer and I've been amazed at how fast those darn miles add up

And yes, love those wheels
Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongorges View Post
lately I've been gentler.
No no no! Drive it harder if you want it to last!

Beautiful car. Love the wheels - hate the tail lights.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #8

Great looking car! Yellow is not a color that looks good on every car but it does look cool on the Box.

I had a '99 M Roadster that was yellow with black leather interior. Absolutely bad_ss looking on that car with the deep dish rims. Don't be scared of the car...go have fun!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Wow Jon great pics and beautiful car. Great mods too! A 2000 'S' will have a double row and the odds of failure are probably many multiples lower then totaling it. As you can see the suit only includes the single row. If others scare you enough then just get it done (you sound handy enough to do it yourself). If I could go back in time I would never have done mine.

This is a great forum and you'll find lots of help.

It looks like the previous owner had the bumperettes painted too.

Last edited by WhipE350; 11-05-2013 at 11:09 AM.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
A 2000 'S' will have a double row and the odds of failure are probably many multiples lower then totaling it. As you can see the suit only includes the single row.
Can you elaborate on this a bit? Do all 2000 S models have a double row? Are they less likely to fail?

Also, thank you all for the comments. And good to know that higher RPMs are actually better for the car.. I now have the perfect excuse when I get pulled over!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #11

Garage
+1 on the drive it like it's meant to be driven philosophy.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #12

Garage
Very nice yellow could be my next favorite color, the more I see them.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #13

I agree, the car is awesome! Do not worry about the IMS issue. It's like a shark attack, it could happen? Just drive it.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #14

Looks awesome, especially with that yellow top! Congrats!!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #15

Very nice looking car. Just picked up mine this year as well. We are nearing the end of top down season unfortunately.
Great color!

Where abouts in VA are you located? I'm assuming towards the DC area.

As far as the IMS issue goes... I read up about these cars way before my purchase and have been pushing my baby prettttty hard every time I take her out... "Blissfully Aware" as you might put it... There's just no other way to drive her in my opinion.

Revs High My Friend.

Last edited by RawleyD; 11-05-2013 at 10:58 PM.
RawleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #16

Knocked out sharp Box! Wish I had those wheels on my 2000S.You will love the hardtop.Mine really makes my car solid and tight feeling on the highway.I had the new IMS done for peace of mine when I bought the car last August.
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #17
Rennzenn

Garage
Another VA Boxster! Keep an eye out for the Richmond Porsche Meet in June.
I've also got a 2000 S- 165,000 miles and going strong on the original IMS. Drive them hard and do oil changes around 5-7000 miles.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #18

Love the wheels.

Ignorance is bliss when it comes to the IMS, pesky forums! However, if it keeps you awake at night, budget for it's replacement. If you want to take a chance and not bother, there are some things you can do to greatly reduce the risk. Change your oil every 5k miles (or annually if you dont do this much). Don't thrash it until the oil is up to temperature (this takes longer than the coolant). Then drive it like you stole it - don't be gentle. Worst things you can is labor the engine - change down. Also keep away from cruising around the vario-cam transition otherwise it will keep switching while is not good long term. Check for debris in your oil filter of course and keep an eye on the back of the engine for any increase in oil leakage. Most cars weep oil from the RMS seal but the first external symptom of an IMS failure is oil leaking from the IMS seal as the tolerances increase so just keep an eye out for any increases.

Other than that, have fun driving!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
Love the wheels.

Ignorance is bliss when it comes to the IMS, pesky forums! However, if it keeps you awake at night, budget for it's replacement. If you want to take a chance and not bother, there are some things you can do to greatly reduce the risk. Change your oil every 5k miles (or annually if you dont do this much). Don't thrash it until the oil is up to temperature (this takes longer than the coolant). Then drive it like you stole it - don't be gentle. Worst things you can is labor the engine - change down. Also keep away from cruising around the vario-cam transition otherwise it will keep switching while is not good long term. Check for debris in your oil filter of course and keep an eye on the back of the engine for any increase in oil leakage. Most cars weep oil from the RMS seal but the first external symptom of an IMS failure is oil leaking from the IMS seal as the tolerances increase so just keep an eye out for any increases.

Other than that, have fun driving!
+1 on this advice. Great looking car and welcome.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
Where abouts in VA are you located? I'm assuming towards the DC area.
Yup

Thanks for all the support guys, I've come to realize that Porsche peeps are my kind of peeps, especially Boxster enthusiasts.

I forgot to mention, I also rewired the spoiler button to one of the empty console buttons on the dash. Much easier than risking my life trying to find the switch near my ankle. What do you all think of this spoiler decal? It's a bit... flashy... then again, it's a yellow Porsche. I saw in another thread someone who posted a reflective "986" spoiler decal that I liked.