Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Wow you sure have been busy. Just drive 75 and never go below 50 and that spoiler will always be up .

You asked me about double/single row. I was looking for the info when they transitioned. I know it was in 2001 but I can't find/remember if any of the 2000s were single row, I thought not. I also saw some numbers from the suit and the double rows had a very low instance of failure.

Enjoy the beautiful new ride.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
Love the wheels.

Ignorance is bliss when it comes to the IMS, pesky forums! However, if it keeps you awake at night, budget for it's replacement. If you want to take a chance and not bother, there are some things you can do to greatly reduce the risk. Change your oil every 5k miles (or annually if you dont do this much). Don't thrash it until the oil is up to temperature (this takes longer than the coolant). Then drive it like you stole it - don't be gentle. Worst things you can is labor the engine - change down. Also keep away from cruising around the vario-cam transition otherwise it will keep switching while is not good long term. Check for debris in your oil filter of course and keep an eye on the back of the engine for any increase in oil leakage. Most cars weep oil from the RMS seal but the first external symptom of an IMS failure is oil leaking from the IMS seal as the tolerances increase so just keep an eye out for any increases.

Other than that, have fun driving!
+2 (just did my IMS upgrade)
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Wow you sure have been busy. Just drive 75 and never go below 50 and that spoiler will always be up .

You asked me about double/single row. I was looking for the info when they transitioned. I know it was in 2001 but I can't find/remember if any of the 2000s were single row, I thought not. I also saw some numbers from the suit and the double rows had a very low instance of failure.

Enjoy the beautiful new ride.
Thanks! That makes me feel better.. But if it fails, it fails I suppose. The enjoyment of driving it, the performance and handling, makes me forget all about the what ifs
jongorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #24

[QUOTE=jongorges;371006]The enjoyment of driving it, the performance and handling, makes me forget all about the what ifs

[QUOTE]

Here, Here!

I took the box into work tonight.. Sounds sooooo great in that crisp low 50's evening weather.. really hoping the sun is shining brightly tomorrow when I'm off, would love to put the top down some more before the dead of winter.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #25

What do you all think of this spoiler decal? It's a bit... flashy... then again, it's a yellow Porsche. I saw in another thread someone who posted a reflective "986" spoiler decal that I liked.

[/QUOTE]

The sticker is a little loud for my taste. Perhaps go with modernized emblems? By the way. Love the color I'm not a fan of yellow cars but it really seems to work on Boxsters. Especially with your wheels.

rijc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #26

Never thought I would end up with a Yellow Box after months of searching.. Now I can't see it any other way! I love this car in yellow.

As for the spoiler decal, not a fan.

Sure the car screams "look at me!" , but I don't think the decal is necessary.
I like to keep the folks in the rear-view mirrors guessing.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #27
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
Never thought I would end up with a Yellow Box after months of searching.. Now I can't see it any other way! I love this car in yellow.

As for the spoiler decal, not a fan.

Sure the car screams "look at me!" , but I don't think the decal is necessary.
I like to keep the folks in the rear-view mirrors guessing.

I so admire the ones who have the balls to drive a yellow car, and a Porsche - none the less!! Much cred..

But the spoiler text is not my thing, basically because the same reasons as above - being a yellow Porsche - we are aware of the fact that you rcar is a .. Porsche. So screaming it OUT LOUD doesn't really serve any purpose.

Just my two cents. Love the car else from that
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Wow Jon great pics and beautiful car. Great mods too! A 2000 'S' will have a double row and the odds of failure are probably many multiples lower then totaling it. As you can see the suit only includes the single row. If others scare you enough then just get it done (you sound handy enough to do it yourself). If I could go back in time I would never have done mine.

This is a great forum and you'll find lots of help.

It looks like the previous owner had the bumperettes painted too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongorges View Post
Can you elaborate on this a bit? Do all 2000 S models have a double row? Are they less likely to fail?

Also, thank you all for the comments. And good to know that higher RPMs are actually better for the car.. I now have the perfect excuse when I get pulled over!
Hmm. I thought some years 2000s were double and then halfway through they switched to single. Does S make a difference with this?
eli cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #29

Sorry dude, but I find that spoiler decal really tacky. It just doesn't belong and is very obviously an add-on.

Keep it clean and classy! Look at JD's yellow beast for inspiration.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #30

Mark, you have to see it this way, as in when the spoiler deploys on the freeway when at high speed. It's really nice to see that PORSCHE flag going up & down. I get to follow my mate here who likes to push his 986 and he has the same sticker. I think it's awesome man, not too much (when moving fast of course).

Only looks silly on picture or when the car is stand-still maybe
Old 11-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #31

Hey, Nine8 - I see your location is Montreal. I'm thinking of flying out there for the 2014 Canadian Gran Prix next year. Do you go, or are you not an F1 fan?

(Sorry for the hijack!)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Hey, Nine8 - I see your location is Montreal. I'm thinking of flying out there for the 2014 Canadian Gran Prix next year. Do you go, or are you not an F1 fan?

(Sorry for the hijack!)
Mark I'm an expat based in Shanghai (China). Although being part of the Dorna team (MotoGP body), overseaing Middle-East and Asia Pacific under our Tokyo HQ (IT tech), I do appreciate the F1GP when I can. Especially when its in your home town. I get to go each year of course... if not only to catch up with old friends from the UK (previous posting) (F1s are way too loud for me to be a 'fan')

Let me know 6 weeks in advance so I can get you the FIA pit passes. They are squeezing those recently and need time to process. See you in Keebec soon then!

Hijacking is fun! Well, forum threads anyways
Old 11-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #33

Really? That would be awesome and I will definitely take you up on that! Merci beaucoup!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #34

Absolutely!

Unless you'd prefer the Shanghai F1GP then by all means let me know We live there all year long. At least the F1GP's supporting race here is done by "real" Porsche cars. Brutal stuff...

Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #35

I didn't know you were a F1 fan, was sure those people were exterminated

Let me know if you need anything High Resolution of those (wallpaper/posters) or any other shot you may think of not having, I have them somewhere on a terabyte HDD filed with F1 motorsports shots

Old 11-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #36

Think about it mate, lots to do here. Plenty of activities on the track, side, in the pits, and of course behind the scene Far better than MONTREAL

Old 11-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #37

Now THOSE are real "STICKERS" my man. Njoy!

....and the proper way to hijack a thread

Nice car OP!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Now THOSE are real "STICKERS" my man. Njoy!

....and the proper way to hijack a thread

Nice car OP!
Haha.. No worries
jongorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #39

I would love to go to Shanghai, but I just don't see a trip like that being within my means in the next year or so. Who knows though, Montreal will be my first live GP, so I may get the bug and become a circuit groupie! Go Kimi!

I guess I should check to see if the dates have been confirmed for Montreal (there was some talk about them not having it in 2014) and get my flight booked soon.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #40

Poor Kimi! If he knew.... a guy here in Shanghai purchased his championship car from Ferrari. They deliver it along with toolboxes and two engineers every time this cracking-rich dude wants to do a track day. And that happens quarterly here...

Sat in Kimi's car more than once, but had the chance to REV'ed it once (it was a blast)! Never took it out of course :/ (I am million-less anything)