Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #1

Blown AOS

Coming home from work last Friday my '02 2.7 5 spd blew a tremendous smoke cloud while under acceleration on an entrance ramp. Immediately pulled over and shut it down although it was not running rough. I was about 15 miles from home and in a sketchy part of town. I let it sit for a few minutes then started it back up. Still smoked but not near as bad. Thought I could limp it home but in a few hundred yards the heavy smoke returned. I shut it down and coasted to a side street. Called the wife to pick me up and went back with the trailer to pull it home. I tried to start it so I could drive onto the trailer but it would not turn over. You could hear the starter engage but could not turn engine over. I suspected liquid lock and hoped for the best. I pulled the coils and plugs and a lot of oil came out of #5. I cranked the engine over and oil came out of cyl #1, #4 & #5. After a couple cranks it would not turn over and the electrical system seemed to go haywire. Clock reset to 12:00. Dash lights flickered. Starter was not making any noise.

Could cranking the engine with coil packs removed cause this?

Ordered a new AOS today. Already had the spark plug tube o-rings so I will do those while in there.

Also, the spark plugs were very tight to remove. The car was two days cold when I removed them. Is this normal?

Is there anything I can do to keep from damaging the cats more than I already have? Will it do any good to disconnect and drain them?

thanks

germaneighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaneighter View Post
Coming home from work last Friday my '02 2.7 5 spd blew a tremendous smoke cloud while under acceleration on an entrance ramp. Immediately pulled over and shut it down although it was not running rough. I was about 15 miles from home and in a sketchy part of town. I let it sit for a few minutes then started it back up. Still smoked but not near as bad. Thought I could limp it home but in a few hundred yards the heavy smoke returned. I shut it down and coasted to a side street. Called the wife to pick me up and went back with the trailer to pull it home. I tried to start it so I could drive onto the trailer but it would not turn over. You could hear the starter engage but could not turn engine over. I suspected liquid lock and hoped for the best. I pulled the coils and plugs and a lot of oil came out of #5. I cranked the engine over and oil came out of cyl #1, #4 & #5. After a couple cranks it would not turn over and the electrical system seemed to go haywire. Clock reset to 12:00. Dash lights flickered. Starter was not making any noise.

Ordered a new AOS today. Already had the spark plug tube o-rings so I will do those while in there.

Also, the spark plugs were very tight to remove. The car was two days cold when I removed them. Is this normal?

Is there anything I can do to keep from damaging the cats more than I already have? Will it do any good to disconnect and drain them?

thanks
Just did my plugs. I thought they were a little tight. Much tighter than youmwouldmthink being that they are only supposed to be 22ftlbs of torque. But I attribute it tomthe fact that they were original. 10 yrs old but onlyn18,000 miles in them.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaneighter View Post

thanks
Was it blowing white smoke? Not sure why you electrical system went haywire, that is strange. Keep us posted I'm curious if you get your baby up and running again. How many miles are on it?

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote