Thread: Blown AOS
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
trimer
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaneighter View Post
Coming home from work last Friday my '02 2.7 5 spd blew a tremendous smoke cloud while under acceleration on an entrance ramp. Immediately pulled over and shut it down although it was not running rough. I was about 15 miles from home and in a sketchy part of town. I let it sit for a few minutes then started it back up. Still smoked but not near as bad. Thought I could limp it home but in a few hundred yards the heavy smoke returned. I shut it down and coasted to a side street. Called the wife to pick me up and went back with the trailer to pull it home. I tried to start it so I could drive onto the trailer but it would not turn over. You could hear the starter engage but could not turn engine over. I suspected liquid lock and hoped for the best. I pulled the coils and plugs and a lot of oil came out of #5. I cranked the engine over and oil came out of cyl #1, #4 & #5. After a couple cranks it would not turn over and the electrical system seemed to go haywire. Clock reset to 12:00. Dash lights flickered. Starter was not making any noise.

Could cranking the engine with coil packs removed cause this?

Ordered a new AOS today. Already had the spark plug tube o-rings so I will do those while in there.

Also, the spark plugs were very tight to remove. The car was two days cold when I removed them. Is this normal?

Is there anything I can do to keep from damaging the cats more than I already have? Will it do any good to disconnect and drain them?

thanks
Just did my plugs. I thought they were a little tight. Much tighter than youmwouldmthink being that they are only supposed to be 22ftlbs of torque. But I attribute it tomthe fact that they were original. 10 yrs old but onlyn18,000 miles in them.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote