Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Stuck Telescopic Steering

This topic has been discussed before, one such thread is:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/24814-telescopic-steering-wheels-stuck.html

However, the question of who much does the column extend was never answered. I can hammer mine in and back out about. It moves no easier having moved it a few times, I've tried shooting PB Blaster Penetrating oil in any opening I could find. Really no difference. Total distance is only about an inch. I suspect it could come out more, maybe a bigger hammer?

Would someone with a functioning telescopic wheel report back how much the column moves on a 98 (assume 97 to 04 similar, but would prefer 98) Thanks, Joe

Last edited by Xcellr8; 10-26-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Gary D

Garage
My '97 moves about an inch and a half, my brother's '01 is about the same.
Gary_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #3

A second measurement please

Thanks Gary.
On my 98, with the wheel hammered out as far as I can go, I can measure from the back of the steering wheel rim to the telescopic lever (in the down position) which is 5 1/2 inches. I'd appreciate it if someone could take a similar measurement with the column fully extended and another with the column collapsed as much as possible.

You can see from my earlier photos that the dash is out of my car. And for those who have done that job or know a little about it, the manual calls for the column to be fully extended. So, one might conclude that mine is in that position. However, the reason I took the dash out is because it was trashed when the previous owner tried to convert a red dash to black by gluing vinyl to the red leather. All because the carpet faded to pink and the seats needed recovering. Anyway, since it was trashed, I wasn't very careful about removing it and pulled some pieces more than I should have to get access.

I think the group would appreciate knowing how much the wheel telecopes anyway. Thanks again, Joe
Old 10-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Gary D

Garage
Just checked the '97. With the wheel fully in the measurement from the lever (down position) to the back of the wheel is 5 and a half inches. Fully extended it is about 7 and a quarter inches.
Gary_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #5

Thanks again Gary, I appreciate that information. Meanwhile, I drove out to the storage center and took the measurements on my 01 S. The measurements were slightly different, but the range is similar. Might be due to the three spoke wheel vs. the four spoke wheel. With the three spoke wheel, I got 4 7/8 inches collapsed, and 6 1/2 inches extended (1 5/8 inches of travel).

So, as Gary first reported, the movement is only about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches. I would have guessed more, when moving the wheel, it sure seems like more.

Now, if I could just figure out why this column on the 98 is dang hard to move. I almost wonder if the release is really releasing. The lever goes down, and the pin retracts at the bottom of the column, but maybe the mechanism is frozen around the column, not allowing it move freely. Just an idea. Anyone else ever figure this out other than to keep spraying it and working it in and out?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #6

Update - splined shaft needs to move.

Well, I got a bigger hammer, 4lb sledge, but made no progress. Granted, there is limited room to swing. So, back to the storage center to investigate a working column.

Discovered that the portion of the column that moves is the splined shaft that passes through the firewall. There are two (2) sections of splined shaft. In the collapsed position, you can only see one of those sections. But, if you can get your column to extend, you will see a second splined section come through the firewall. Yes, the black column all the way to the steering wheel moves in an out with that shaft, but we now know that portion of the steering column is probably not the part that gets stuck. It is the portion going through the firewall where things get stuck.

With the locking mechanism released, and with a pry bar on the knuckle that changes the angle of the steering column near the firewall, I was able to determine that the locking mechanism did in fact release, and that the upper portion of the column could move.

Making progress,

NOW, if I could only get splined shaft to move.

Ideas cleary are needed and wanted.