Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #1

Telescopic Steering wheels stuck

While making great progress on my 00' 986 S project car, and with much help from this forum I might add, I now want to unstick my telescoping steering wheel. I have looked under the column and it looks like the push pin is engaging properly but the darn thing is stubborn like the previous two wives!!

Any insight as, as usual, greatly appreciated.

Don Wilson

2000 Boxster S
1993 NSX-nicely modified and beautiful
2001 CLK 55
2000 Jeep for camping and astronomy
Craving a new Speedster!
cut2muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #2

I wrested with mine (steering wheel not wife) and eventually got it to pull out (again steering wheel not wife) it never seemed to loosen to the point of it being easy to adjust however. Like wife you have to fight with it a little!
DRL hack
boxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #3

The 2000 AFAIK ...

... does not have a telescoping steering wheel.
The only movement is up or down, not in and out.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut2muz
While making great progress on my 00' 986 S project car, and with much help from this forum I might add, I now want to unstick my telescoping steering wheel. I have looked under the column and it looks like the push pin is engaging properly but the darn thing is stubborn like the previous two wives!!

Any insight as, as usual, greatly appreciated.

Don Wilson
Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #4

..wish it were so

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
... does not have a telescoping steering wheel.
The only movement is up or down, not in and out.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Oh how I wish it were so Pedro.

Pg. 40 of the operator's manual gives instructions for the longitudinal adjustment of the steering wheel and it does illustrate the in and out positioning of the steering wheel. I surely do not want to seem to be disagreeing with the master but it does appear this 00' 986 S is different. The unlocking mechanism seems to engage properly but the shaft seems firmly in place. I've longer arms and would like to push the thing all the way towards the dash and my 5'2" wife just the opposite. This will be her car when I'm done and I'll go in search of a 97' C2S....

Used your DIY site often and many thanks for the time and effort there!!

Don

2000 Boxster S
2001 CLK 55
Craving a new Speedster!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #5

I used to be dyslexic...

... but now I'm KO.

Sorry about posting backwards.

Actually some years ago Porsche explained the reason why they did not allow for the up/down movement, only in/out of the steering wheel.
They claim that because these cars were built to be taken to the track they aimed the driver's airbag directly at the driver's chest.
If they were to allow for an up/down movement, in the case of an airbag deployment while using a full-face helmet, the airbag could force the head back if it hit immediately under the front of the helmet possibly breaking the driver's neck.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut2muz
Oh how I wish it were so Pedro.

Pg. 40 of the operator's manual gives instructions for the longitudinal adjustment of the steering wheel and it does illustrate the in and out positioning of the steering wheel. I surely do not want to seem to be disagreeing with the master but it does appear this 00' 986 S is different. The unlocking mechanism seems to engage properly but the shaft seems firmly in place. I've longer arms and would like to push the thing all the way towards the dash and my 5'2" wife just the opposite. This will be her car when I'm done and I'll go in search of a 97' C2S....

Used your DIY site often and many thanks for the time and effort there!!

Don

Last edited by ppbon; 05-17-2010 at 12:45 PM.
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #6

So Pedro.....

Any ideas on the best method to unstick this thing without breaking the steering wheel? BTW, my "Boxster Vato", I've spent over 500 bucks buying new tools from Sears to do all your DIYs and call them my P-Tools....

Maybe one day we'll bring our camera gear down there and shoot the master at work for a show pilot....

Best,
Donny

2000 Boxster S
2001 CLK 55
Craving a new Speedster!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 AM   #7

My steering wheel would not move either. I just gently kept trying to move it in and out and it finally gave way. Just keep working it.
masternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #8

I've tried to move mine several times, no way, it's not budging.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #9

I hear ya...

I have pushed and pulled this darn thing and am afraid of breaking something. It is comforting to know mine is not the only one, I think! My car, though in great shape now, was neglected in San Diego near the ocean and I've had to overcome lots of corrosive issues with some metal parts. I suspect this is causing my issue with the wheel. It's starting to get warmer here so I'm going to keep trying. I've gotten this thing pretty well up to my standards and am attacking the small issues now.

BTW, how much movement is there when it does work, 2 inches...4...??

Thanks all!

2000 Boxster S
2001 CLK 55
Craving a new Speedster!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #10

Sorry to hear about that. Not that it makes your situation any easier, my telescoping wheel on my 97 doesn't work either. Fortunately, it is in the right spot already. Seems like a pretty weird problem for even a few to have though. I was thinking there must be some trick I was missing. Apparently not.

Anyway, good luck and I wish I could be of more help.

Bradster.
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #11

I just got my 97 Boxster and the column will not telescope on it either. I just bouht the 3-stalk switch and cruise module - when I have the wheel and switches off, is it easy to get some penetrant in there....or better yet... to remove it and clean/lube it properly? Or do you have to pull the entire shaft out?
thanks,
Mark

Last edited by c-more; 05-09-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: shafted by the non-telescoping shaft
c-more is offline   Reply With Quote