View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Xcellr8

Update - splined shaft needs to move.

Well, I got a bigger hammer, 4lb sledge, but made no progress. Granted, there is limited room to swing. So, back to the storage center to investigate a working column.

Discovered that the portion of the column that moves is the splined shaft that passes through the firewall. There are two (2) sections of splined shaft. In the collapsed position, you can only see one of those sections. But, if you can get your column to extend, you will see a second splined section come through the firewall. Yes, the black column all the way to the steering wheel moves in an out with that shaft, but we now know that portion of the steering column is probably not the part that gets stuck. It is the portion going through the firewall where things get stuck.

With the locking mechanism released, and with a pry bar on the knuckle that changes the angle of the steering column near the firewall, I was able to determine that the locking mechanism did in fact release, and that the upper portion of the column could move.

Making progress,

NOW, if I could only get splined shaft to move.

Ideas cleary are needed and wanted.
Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote