Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

Issue with the porsche dealer. Is this how it is for everyone else??

This forum is great and you guys rock! Thanks for all the advice so far.

I have a new issue though. This time it's with the porsche dealer. I just bought the car from a Non-Porsche dealer and of course had a PPI done before buying. It's still under factory warranty and being a new owner I'm VERY excited :dance:. The car never came with any service documents unfortunately, but it has a huge list of services listed by carfax from the dealer.

So, I went to the Porsche dealership and asked if I could get a print out of the service records of the car. I want to know if anything got missed or if something big is due shortly. The dealer told me that they wouldn't release that information. I'm thinking why..... He then explains that if it was the other way around "Would you want someone knowing what you did with the car?". I'm a little baffled. I'm not new to porsche I used to own a 944, but this was a tad ridiculous. He explained it as if the cars may have an embarrassing STD or something. All I want is to get all my service stuff lined up. They also said they don't share information between Porsche dealerships. So, if it was serviced elsewhere they can't look up the records. Again... WTF>!? I'm starting to think the Mercedes dealerships are 50 times betters than this! And that's saying something!.

Anyone else have this issue?

Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
.... They also said they don't share information between Porsche dealerships. So, if it was serviced elsewhere they can't look up the records. ....
I believe this part is true...
Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

It is unfortunate they are unwilling to help you out with a general printout of work done as it is now your car.

It is true that they cannot look up information from other dealerships but it is completely up to the dealership you are dealing with if they want to release records on the car you own or not. Using the Carfax report on my Boxster, I found the Cincinnati dealership that performed some of the service on it and gave them a call prior to purchasing. The head mechanic was very helpful and ran through all the issues they worked on with my car and gave me his general opinion of the car based on their records.

If your PPI came back fairly clean, do the last recommended maintenance tasks Porsche recommends (or check to see if you can find out if they were done) and then enjoy the car.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #4

Garage
I thought they could get info from other Porsche dealerships??? I bought mine from a P-dealer in Wichita and they were very helpful (also a Merc dealership). They gave me a printout and a history of the maint. done going back a few years at the time. I guess it depends on the dealership and whether you bought it from them or not. Sorry to be of no help.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
This forum is great and you guys rock! Thanks for all the advice so far.

I have a new issue though. This time it's with the porsche dealer. I just bought the car from a Non-Porsche dealer and of course had a PPI done before buying. It's still under factory warranty and being a new owner I'm VERY excited :dance:. The car never came with any service documents unfortunately, but it has a huge list of services listed by carfax from the dealer.

So, I went to the Porsche dealership and asked if I could get a print out of the service records of the car. I want to know if anything got missed or if something big is due shortly. The dealer told me that they wouldn't release that information. I'm thinking why..... He then explains that if it was the other way around "Would you want someone knowing what you did with the car?". I'm a little baffled. I'm not new to porsche I used to own a 944, but this was a tad ridiculous. He explained it as if the cars may have an embarrassing STD or something. All I want is to get all my service stuff lined up. They also said they don't share information between Porsche dealerships. So, if it was serviced elsewhere they can't look up the records. Again... WTF>!? I'm starting to think the Mercedes dealerships are 50 times betters than this! And that's saying something!.

Anyone else have this issue?
In many states, all information concerning prior ownership is now considered strictly confidential; this is due to changes in the law, not by the dealer. Release of any of this information can result in the dealer being penalized by the state, and open to a lawsuit by the prior owner.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #6

Wow... I guess I would believe that i'm in CA after all. Funny thing is though is that I have all the previous owners addresses (thanks Sat Nav) and I can't imagine what would be confidential about servicing a car. I'm sure the dealer has the ability to hide any personal information from service records. What a bummer. I guess like you guys say it's not a big deal. I'm just real anal about the vehicles I own and like to have everything in front of me. I mean the last service note (according to carfax) was only 1k miles ago. Does that mean it's had an oil change? I have no idea and the dealer says i'm out of luck to find out. Basically, pony up $300 for an oil change just to be sure. :ah:
Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #7

I bought my Pcar from a Pcar dealer, who had serviced it from day one. The Service Desk was willing to tell me about all the work done, but wouldn't give me a copy. Maybe they don't want to spend all their time photocopying work orders for everyone that asks.
Rickinduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinduncan View Post
I bought my Pcar from a Pcar dealer, who had serviced it from day one. The Service Desk was willing to tell me about all the work done, but wouldn't give me a copy. Maybe they don't want to spend all their time photocopying work orders for everyone that asks.
I don't think any dealership, or larger independent shop for that matter, stores paper work orders anymore. Just about everyone has fully electronic records and could reproduce any work order with a couple of key strokes.

It has become a liability issue, not a convenience issue, as the records are the property of the previous owner(s), not the dealer.........
Old 10-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
Porsche

I have had great luck just calling all the dealers listed on my carfax. All shops were glad to talk about what they did on the car, However they would not give me any print outs or work orders of any sort. They told me they could not release any of that as it may have the name of prior owner on it. The ownership is what i was told could not be given out, which may be on records. I just called and wrote everything down.
Speedy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2000 View Post
I have had great luck just calling all the dealers listed on my carfax. All shops were glad to talk about what they did on the car, However they would not give me any print outs or work orders of any sort. They told me they could not release any of that as it may have the name of prior owner on it. The ownership is what i was told could not be given out, which may be on records. I just called and wrote everything down.
The previous owner's information is considered private, but the actual work order records are also their property (they paid to have the work done, and therefore legally own all the related documentation). They should not be released to a third party without the prior owner's written consent. We go through this all the time when a prospective buyer wants to see the service records on the car; my lawyers require me to obtain a written authorization from the owner at the time of the work order before we can let anyone see them, and we are required to redact the customer's personal data (address, phone, etc.) before doing so.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-22-2013 at 12:03 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

In my experience, this approach is common to all Porsche dealers. BMW dealers do exactly the opposite and readily share the info. Go figure.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
jakesbox

Just call Wayne Carrini at F40 Motorsports. Hell, not only does he have records of all the cars he has been a part of, but he will even bring you on tv, and tell the world how much you spent, what the VIN is and how you wrecked it...

Interesting how "great" Porsche is, how this is a culture, or as magnus walker puts it "its own language" but god forbid you try and figure out from a dealer when the last oil change was...how dare you. Glad Porsche is looking out for all its peeps.

Yes, I am aware as a few people wrote - its the law in most places. But seriously, they can tell you what has been done to the car.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #13

When I bought my car used from a Porsche dealer I got all the original copies of everything that was done to my car including the original window sticker. They all came in a folder. I suspect that the original owner included the the information when he traded the car in. My car was also bought and traded into the dealer that I bought it from and apparently he was a frequent buyer. (must be nice) Anyway I've kept up with every paper record including when I do something myself putting the receipt for the parts in the folder along with a explanation of what was done and the date.
keysguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4 View Post
I thought they could get info from other Porsche dealerships??? I bought mine from a P-dealer in Wichita and they were very helpful (also a Merc dealership). They gave me a printout and a history of the maint. done going back a few years at the time. I guess it depends on the dealership and whether you bought it from them or not. Sorry to be of no help.
I tried to get my service history 3 months ago after I purchased with no luck...wish I had your dealer. I just want to know the areas I need to focus on. I even had the name, number, address, etc of the previous owner.
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysguy View Post
When I bought my car used from a Porsche dealer I got all the original copies of everything that was done to my car including the original window sticker. They all came in a folder. I suspect that the original owner included the the information when he traded the car in. My car was also bought and traded into the dealer that I bought it from and apparently he was a frequent buyer. (must be nice) Anyway I've kept up with every paper record including when I do something myself putting the receipt for the parts in the folder along with a explanation of what was done and the date.
Thats exactly how I am. I have a folder and I put everything about the car in it. Just a shame I can't get that info now :/.. Oh well i guess i'll start out fresh with reciepts.

Oh wanna a hear another thing. The Porsche dealer wouldn't help me with the options list of the car either. I mean how is that confidential? Nice eh? I'm a really nice guy I swear I just think i got the biggest Jerk salesman.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
Just call Wayne Carrini at F40 Motorsports. Hell, not only does he have records of all the cars he has been a part of, but he will even bring you on tv, and tell the world how much you spent, what the VIN is and how you wrecked it...
It is spelled "Wayne Carini" with one "R"...........
Old 10-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I understand JFP's points but this certainly won't win you as a future customer. I'm surprised in CA it would be a legal issue to at least tell you what service was done. I know my dealer will do anything, he wants me back in two years to upgrade.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #18

Since i can't get any help from the dealer. On a 2010 boxster does anyone know where or how you can the option list of the car? Older porsches generally have a option code on a sticker , but I can't seem to find one on my car.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #19

I had the same issue. The dealer would not release the records. I was lucky enough to find the previous owners cell phone under the drivers seat. I charged it up and found their e mail address on the phone. I contacted them and they agreed to send me the history in exchange for sending them the phone. I'm glad I got the records as I found out lots of good information. Most importantly that the dealer replaced the motor under warranty when the car had 30,000 miles on the odometer. I thought the motor had 78,000 miles on it when it actually had on 48,000!
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #20

I bought mine from a non-Pcar dealer. I took it to the local Pcar dealer and asked if they had any records on it. They had a lot and printed everything out for me.

Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote