Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #1

Best exhaust/muffler?

Hi everyone,

My OEM muffler on my 02 Porsche Boxster is noisy and needs to be changed. I wanted to take this opportunity to upgrade the engine sound. So I'm asking you guys, what is the best exhaust I can set up in order to hear significant sound difference? Also, I don't want to spend to much on it, so I'm looking for the best price/sound ratio. If someone could redirect me to either an online site on a ebay auction worth while that would be perfect!

Thanks in advance to all who try helping me out

knicksplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #2

I don't have this yet, I am waiting till the summer but I like everything I hear/see with the "Top Speed" exhaust and headers. You can read all about it on the thread Performance Exhaust and Header for Boxster

I have no affiliation with the company. I can't speak from experience yet like I said but those who have commented on the thread could vouch for it I am sure and I went to their website (a sponsored link to the left and an ebay store) and their prices won't break the bank. Good Luck.

coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksplayer
Hi everyone,

My OEM muffler on my 02 Porsche Boxster is noisy and needs to be changed. I wanted to take this opportunity to upgrade the engine sound. So I'm asking you guys, what is the best exhaust I can set up in order to hear significant sound difference? Also, I don't want to spend to much on it, so I'm looking for the best price/sound ratio. If someone could redirect me to either an online site on a ebay auction worth while that would be perfect!

Thanks in advance to all who try helping me out
You should use the search feature on this forum and research the topic of exhaust systems . There's extensive discussion on it . As far as the Top Speed's products are concerned, there are several members who have had "issues" with that brand . Especially with their headers . Moreover, the design lay-out of their exhaust systems leave out crucial concerns regarding catalytic converters .
Old 02-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #4

Although I have not changed my Boxster exhaust, FabSpeed does great work, stands behind their products and are readily available for support. I used them for hi flow cats and exhaust on my Ferrari and was very happy.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #5

Garage
I agree with SeaNile. I think that FabSpeed's products over the years have truly evolved into some really good stuff . And, they're one of the few companies, if not the only one, who has intelligently designed an excellent alternative to the restrictive oem header/pre-cat setup .
Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #6

I have fabspeed bypass pipes and their beautiful. There customer serivice is top notch too. I would love to pick up there max flow exhaust and high flow cats... But, not in the budget right now. Maybe we can get a group buy together and see what they can do.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #7

Been very happy with my Dansk. Dont have a large basis for comparison but I would say the consensus is that it doesnt growl quite as much as Fab Speed but it is more agreesive than stock. Wayne Dempsey does a great overview on muffler upgrades in his 101 Boxster Pojects book.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by d18mike
Been very happy with my Dansk. Dont have a large basis for comparison but I would say the consensus is that it doesnt growl quite as much as Fab Speed but it is more agreesive than stock. Wayne Dempsey does a great overview on muffler upgrades in his 101 Boxster Pojects book.
Its my understanding that Dansk supplies Porsche with their exhaust systems. In fact, in the case of the boxster exhaust, I believe that the Dansk unit is essentially the same as the oem without all of the insulation . FVD/Brombacher is Dansk's agent in the USA.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #9

said it before, will say it again muffler delete!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #10

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
i went with the NHP muffler from Maxspeed Motorsports. will prob'ly buy the rest of the system.

sounds great, good deep tone between 2-3k RPM, with no drone.

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/986fullnhp32.html

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928
i went with the NHP muffler from Maxspeed Motorsports. will prob'ly buy the rest of the system.

sounds great, good deep tone between 2-3k RPM, with no drone.

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/986fullnhp32.html

Friend of mine installed the 200 cell cats and headers on his 996C4 Cab and is very impressed with the quality. Nice video with sound of the muffler on the site sited above so you can get an idea of the sound. Very tempting!!!!

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928
I have the complete NHP system listed in my signature on my 2.7. I really like it. The header design gets some criticism from folks that know a lot more about headers than me. But, I think the price point is good, the quality is good, they seem to perform well (butt dyno) compared to stock, and there is no drone.

I've been driving this winter with my hardtop on and haven't thought about the exhaust system. Recent weather has allowed me to drive with the windows down and I was quickly reminded how nice it sounds. I think it is about perfect. Some may think it isn't loud enough.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #13

I'd bet Jeremy@FabSpeed would put together a little group buy for us if we are really interested.

With my 987 S as my fair weather DD, and I haven't even driven it yet, I'd be a little nervous changing the exhaust or headers or cats, etc. I changed things on my 360 for a nice loud F1 sound on a play car, but messing with the exhaust system on my Boxster might not happen. I could be talked into it though...
Old 02-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #14

Group buy. Group buy. Let's do it. I'm in. That's 2 so far
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #15

I might be interested...need to do some accounting so I can decide if such an expenditure would be prudent at this point in time...

Depends what kind of deal could be had, as well.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
2002 Boxster S

Garage

MaxSpeed has a dyno chart on their web site that shows a 10-20bhp increase (in addition to the aesthetic improvement of the exhaust sound). But the curves look strange to me.

Why would the stock system develop close to peak horsepower so quickly, while the (presumably less restrictive) after-market system goes pretty linearly up the rpms? It looks to me like you don't get any real gains in the rpm range most of us drive in daily -- the stock engine develops more horsepower below 5200 rpm.

Is this a testing error, or does the MaxSpeed system really lower your developed horsepower at moderate rpms? If you don't race your car, why install one of these?

I'm not trying to troll MaxSpeed -- they seem to have lots of fans, so they must be good to deal with. I'm just looking for an aftermarket exhaust and want to understand what I'm getting.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post

MaxSpeed has a dyno chart on their web site that shows a 10-20bhp increase (in addition to the aesthetic improvement of the exhaust sound). But the curves look strange to me.

Why would the stock system develop close to peak horsepower so quickly, while the (presumably less restrictive) after-market system goes pretty linearly up the rpms? It looks to me like you don't get any real gains in the rpm range most of us drive in daily -- the stock engine develops more horsepower below 5200 rpm.

Is this a testing error, or does the MaxSpeed system really lower your developed horsepower at moderate rpms? If you don't race your car, why install one of these?

I'm not trying to troll MaxSpeed -- they seem to have lots of fans, so they must be good to deal with. I'm just looking for an aftermarket exhaust and want to understand what I'm getting.

Provided the exhaust was properly designed in the first place, don't expect to see anything more than a 5 to 8 hp gain from a catback alone. Any increase in performance is going to be noticed by way of better sound (subjective), a slight blip in low end to mid range torque and perhaps most importantly, a significant reduction in weight. Manufacturers claiming power gains upwards of 20 hp from a muffler alone is pure BS.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 10-15-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote