Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #1

New here and need advise

Hello to all,

I plan to replace my current 2012 Camaro convertible next year with either a new Boxster or Corvette. I'm more comfortable with the issues of ownership with the Corvette because it's not that different from the Camaro....same dealer, similar maintenance schedule.

I'm not as comfortable with the Boxster for several reasons....no. experience, an engine that I really can't see, local dealer that isn't open on Saturday for service, oil changes that costs $325, tires that cost $2,000 to replace.

Some of my best driving experiences have been with German built, manual transmission cars, but never anything as exotic (and perhaps as high maintenance) as a Porsche.

Any advise will really be appreciated.

Chuck

Chuckster54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #2

Driving experience will be better with a Porsche but you got to pay to play...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Do it.....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #4

If you're willing to replace a car with a couple of years, you can try it for a while and if it doesn't give you more pleasure than bills, just sell it. Just set aside 2k when you choose one, and don't skip a PPI if you're buying a second hand one.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #5

$2,000 for tires is extremely high!! Oil change couldn't be any easier, do it yourself for under $100.
DieSiebener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #6

My tires cost 450$ and the supplies for Oil change were about 110$.. these are shipped to my door prices...
Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster54 View Post
Hello to all,

I plan to replace my current 2012 Camaro convertible next year with either a new Boxster or Corvette. I'm more comfortable with the issues of ownership with the Corvette because it's not that different from the Camaro....same dealer, similar maintenance schedule.

I'm not as comfortable with the Boxster for several reasons....no. experience, an engine that I really can't see, local dealer that isn't open on Saturday for service, oil changes that costs $325, tires that cost $2,000 to replace.

Some of my best driving experiences have been with German built, manual transmission cars, but never anything as exotic (and perhaps as high maintenance) as a Porsche.

Chuck

Certain that it is, no premium, European automobile is inexpensive to own and maintain.
However, unless you're referring to some "uber" brand of tire that no one else has heard of before - $2000 is an extremely high figure. Also, as many have quoted, oil changes can be done via DIY for around $100. Moreover, even if you preferred to have a reputable "indy" perform your oil service- that can be done for around $180 to $220(or thereabouts). Again, unless you're using some exclusive brand of oil that no one else is aware of - an oil change doesn't have to cost $325.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #8

Garage
My first car was a Corvette and I have many fond memories of that car, and some of my good friends currently have Corvettes, and they let me drive them on occasion, but since owning and driving a Boxster I don't even consider buying a Corvette, the Porsche is much more fun to drive.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Hello to all,

Chuck

I would spend a bit of time here browsing, your figures on maintenance / upkeep are quite high especially if you do your own work. I have owned both cars, they are worlds apart but both very enjoyable to drive and have their own merits. IMO:

Boxster = Phenomenal handling, lose your gum braking, adequate power, Steering feel like no other, Porsche brand panache.

Corvette = Brutal acceleration (ZO6), addictive always there torque, good handling / braking but not close to a Boxster.

There are a million other variables to compare but they are also mainly subjective. Both cars are relatively easy to work on, the Boxster will sting you on parts prices vs. GM.

Good Luck.............

Last edited by coreseller; 10-11-2013 at 03:06 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #10

I would wait to test drive the new 'Vette, which is supposed to have some major updates, vs. a Boxster S.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #11

If you are looking to buy a new Boxster you will have the warranty to take car of any repair issues and, in any event, the reliability ratings are very good for the first few years. I suspect that tires are just as expensive (if not more) on the vette and the styling is.....let's just say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Whatever you choose, enjoy!
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #12

Which engine does your current Camaro have?

If you are going from a V8 to the Boxster you WILL miss the horse power. I DO!!!!

I am still not sure I made the right choice. Pluses and negatives for both.
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
recycledsixtie

Garage
You should read the thread above - thinking of buying a Boxster.

Comparing a Corvette to a Boxster is like comparing apples and oranges. Never owned a Vette but have driven one. I own a Boxster 2001 base. I have never had a car like this before that gives so many highs but a few lows comes in as well. The lows are high maintenance costs, possibility of ims failure, odd noises etc. But the handling is the best I have ever experienced. I have up given worrying about ims failure -I have the ims Guardian.

I had a Miata before but this is so much more car. Feels more solid too. PPI before purchase is a must. Try several Boxsters. Get the options and color you want. Enjoy the search. Find a good one. Cheers, G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #14

C-7 Corvette vs 991 Boxster...Corvette has the edge with price and HP but Boxster has the edge with exclusivity and refinement. I have driven the 991 with the PDK and it is absolutely perfection. Every old man and redneck will have a C-7 so the choice is yours. If he is on 986Forum, I'm sure he is not looking for a 2014 in either one.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #15

Thanks to all for your input. The tire pricing came from online shopping the 19" tire currently offered on a new Boxster. It compares to about $1,500 for the tire coming on the 2014 Corvette. The oil change price came from the Porsche dealership where I will probably be buying. As long as the car is under warranty, I will be reluctant to do oil changes anywhere else.

The 2014 Corvette is a significant redesign. I've seen the first hardtop delivered recently in my area. Convertibles will commence deliveries early 2014. A few years ago, I would never have imagined that I would be considering a Corvette. I love the recent redesign of the Boxster. Both it and the Caymen are classic and timeless.

Of course I will drive both before making a decision. If I go with a Corvette, it will probably by an automatic. If I buy the Boxster, I can't imagine not getting it with a stick.

My Camaro is a 323 HP six cylinder. It replaced a V8 powered retro T-Bird, and I've never had any regrets. I doubt if either will compare with a 460 HP V8 vette. We'll see.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
C-7 Corvette vs 991 Boxster...Corvette has the edge with price and HP but Boxster has the edge with exclusivity and refinement. I have driven the 991 with the PDK and it is absolutely perfection. Every old man and redneck will have a C-7 so the choice is yours. If he is on 986Forum, I'm sure he is not looking for a 2014 in either one.
"He" is most definitely looking for 2014. It I've landed in the wrong forum, my apologies. Perhaps someone can direct to the appropriate forum.

Chuck
Old 10-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #17

Quote:
"He" is most definitely looking for 2014. It I've landed in the wrong forum, my apologies. Perhaps someone can direct to the appropriate forum.

Chuck
Go here:

987 - 981 Forum - Rennlist Discussion Forums

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
DIY extremist

Changing your own oil won't screw up your warranty, promise. Magnuson-Moss federal warranty law ensures it. Smart money is don't buy anything from the dealer unless it's covered under no cost warranty. Dealers always have crazy high prices, and you can alway bring your own oil if you get it done elsewhere (that's cheaper too).

Also, tire cost is the same whether Vette or Porsche -- probably even cheaper for the Porsche if you compare apples to apples since the Vette's will be wider. My 19" Michelin Super Sports (top of the line for street) were only $1200 with road hazard from tire rack. You'd run the same or equivalent on a modern Corvette.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #19

Garage
I don't care how fast it's alleged to be, or how well it's purported to handle, in my opinion the Corvette will always be a "Tony Pepperoni" car - period.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #20
DIY extremist

Also, don't forget one of the Boxster's strong points: luggage capacity (don't laugh).

Having a trunk AND a frunk allows you to carry a lot more than most two seater sportscars. In fact, I can't think of anything that has more space. Plus, the behind the seat areas are pretty good too if you're not too tall.

I've never driven a Corvette newer than an '03 model, but I can definitely say that either of my Boxster S cars were real world (i.e. with curves) faster than that. The C7 has a hell of a motor though, and a much improved interior -- the C5's sucked!

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote