Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #1

Unhappy One window behaving oddly (car pics here too!)

I've done some reading about window problems before posting, but none I've read so far seem to replicate the issue I'm having currently.

Periodically (after rain sometimes) the right window won’t drop when the door handle is pulled, which means I can’t close the door without manually lowering the window a fraction to clear the hood frame.

I can wind it down or up with the switch, but it takes several pushes, as it only drops a few inches each time, then stops. At times I’ve been able to get it to go again by doing the 5 second reset trick, but at other times I can’t.

Sometimes it drops to ‘hood unlatched’ height (about 3 inches down) when I pull the door handle. It never does odd things when I’m driving aside from the issues mentioned and doesn’t drop or raise without me pushing the button.

The left window works like a dream all the time. I’ve tried swapping the window switches on the centre console and it made no difference to the anomaly. This problem occurs regardless of whether the hood is up or down.

There’s no graunching noise when the window is in operation.

Regulator issue? Control unit issue? It seems not to be micro-switch related.

Here's the car in question.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
Did you install those backup sensors yourself?
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

Sorry, couldn't help you with the window issue but very nice wheel color
Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

Backup sensors were fitted when I got it. They were an option fitted at factory as far as I lknow. They work about 75% of the time.

I like the wheel colour too. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by DJ Richard; 10-07-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Add photos
DJ Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #5

Another odd thing- when I went to open the door just now from outside the car, the window dropped about 3 inches instead of just the crack that it should, and didn't go back up when I closed the door again. This afternoon though, it worked perfectly for a short while.

Very intermittent, very weird, very annoying.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #6

Slap the interior passenger door with the palm of your hand, and ask her "What's wrong with you? Stop it." That works on german engineering. Try it. If it does not work, then go to link:
http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/
Attached Images

Last edited by deptotpr; 10-09-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: add link
deptotpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #7

Sorry for being useless RE your window issue but can wish you good luck on that. Easy fix I'm sure

Just wanted to say.... Stunning car, wheels, interior combo. Love it all.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

Just wanted to say.... Stunning car, wheels, interior combo. Love it all.
+1, I never liked red until I saw this car. Stunning.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #9

Garage
Great photography! Does anyone suspect the ignition switch causing this? I know when it goes it causes some pretty weird stuff to happen.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #10

Thanks for the comments team, I like the color combination on my car very much. It looks amazing at the moment as I had the front bumper resprayed, refitted and the whole car cut & polished.

The window is functioning perfectly again today, but will probably misfire again this afternoon or tomorrow. It is that erratic. Does the motor have the memory (controller unit) built in, to it, or is it just an electric motor with no electronics.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
Usercpy

Garage
I had same issue before, its usually the microswitch hood latch.
But my problem was the door wires were all dried/cracked and made lots of window odd electrical problems....
So maybe check the wires...
cleaned the wires with oxideclean and contact-protect and sealed with rubber.. everything works fine now...

Last edited by ilikeching; 10-10-2013 at 05:08 PM.
ilikeching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #12

I think I'm going to give in and take the car to an auto electrician. I suspect a faulty regulator could be a factor (especially if the brains/memory is built into this part), but it is acting so erratically that I feel the wiring could be the culprit.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #13

Great news! I have had the window fixed. The problem was the memory circuit in the motor. There was a faulty connection on the circuit board that was causing the window to suffer from advanced Altzheimers disease. Four hours labour (no parts required) from my auto electrician (including removing the coating from the circuit board, studying the joints under the microscope, repairing the joint and re-coating the board.

These things ARE serviceable in some situations. I could have bought a new motor, but I'm thrilled that I was able to avoid that expense and now my car makes me happy again!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #14

Garage
Wow! that is cool. I know that most of us would've just replaced the electric motor or sourced one from salvage. Can I ask? How frequent or how long does it take to get Porsche parts in New Zealand?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #15

The major Pcar Genuine part dealers are based in Hong Kong, so are the stocks. They supply the dealers and indy across most of Asia-Pacific with 1 (one) day turn-over. HK is a tax free zone therefore if like me you are fortunate to know someone locally you get your genuine Porsche part for about 40% cheaper than what you are getting them back in the USA.

Takes about 24hrs to receive them. I am expatriated in China, so is my boxster. I would assume NZ takes one more day therefore 48hrs.

If you order them from the middleman e.g. dealership, it takes an additional week or two because these guys normally place put their order once a week or twice a month. The indy places their order on average once a month.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #16

Garage
So about the same as here. I have three dealers within 100 mi. You're right. they take a week. I can order stuff from Pelican in California and get it quicker. Just South of me in Oklahoma there is a huge Porsche salvage yard. Although I have to admit that I've never bought anything from a wrecking yard for my Boxster.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #17

Sean, genuine parts from the dealer are pretty expensive here, something that is a real problem that is not restricted to Porsche. I buy my parts from suppliers like PelicanParts, Vertex, and most commonly Design911.co.uk and not only do I save a massive amount, the parts are at my door within 2 or 3 working days.

There aren't many Boxsters being scrapped in NZ, so finding second hand parts is tricky, and the motor was a reasonably expensive purchase. As it worked out, the entire job was just four hours labour, and I guess that I'd have been charged that much to diagnose the fault and swap out the part anyway.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #18

Garage
2 or 3 working days is very impressive. That's about what it is here. I can go to a dealership an hour away but it's always worth it to wait and find it online. Pelican is good and I've also bought stuff from sun coast (no affiliation). I see big specialty Porsche salvage yards and always wonder....How did all these Porsches have such a short life (trashed)? Does your stuff come UPS or Fedx?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #19

It depends on where it ships from. Usually Fedex I think. New Zealand is the most geographically isolated country in the world. We are a longer distance from our nearest neighbour than any other country apparently. That means we can pay rather more for imported goods at times, but we make up for it by having a breathtaking country and laid-back lifestyle.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #20

BTW very nice car, is it lowered ?

Tags
problem , regulator , window