Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #1

Garage
Thinking of Selling the Dangermobile ?

I'm thinking of selling the Dangermobile. My decision comes for no other reason than I simply don't have the time to enjoy it anymore. Any thoughts on what it might be worth ?

2000 S with 22k original miles that's in beyond pristine condition with no "stories" and nigh on to 40k in the following upgrades:

-Hamann front bumper and side skirts - CSR Automotive Germany 997 GT3 style rear bumper
- Factory painted console, yellow seat belts and stitching
- M&M Exhaust Germany - custom headers and HJS cats
- Secondary cat delete
- 9ff custom catback exhaust
- BBI AutoSport LWUP
- FVD/Brombacher ECU program
- Modified plenum
- Evolution Motorsports high flow air intake
- 9ff custom PSS9 coilovers
- H&R front and rear swaybars
- Mantis Racing rear stress bar
- Rennline front and rear strut braces .
- Champion RS-98 one piece forged wheels with Goodyear F1 tires
and more ....
- Recently performed LNE dual row IMSB retro-fit and new RMS
- A recent re-alignment and thorough corner balancing by a leading race prep facility

Attached Images

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-25-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #2

What the hell? This isn't JD
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #3

Garage
Wow, that's hard to say. I'm sure it will be limited by what else can be bought with the same sum. I have wondered the same about my car with the rebuilt original engine.
I would guess $29,995 for a 6 month or less time on the market. Probably make more money putting it back stock & selling parts separately.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

What's the value in the aftermarket parts?
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Wow, that's hard to say. I'm sure it will be limited by what else can be bought with the same sum. I have wondered the same about my car with the rebuilt original engine.
I would guess $29,995 for a 6 month or less time on the market. Probably make more money putting it back stock & selling parts separately.
The stock parts are long gone !
Old 09-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

Garage
Unfortunately, nothing near what it's worth to you. I would guess somewhere in the mid twenties by someone who would appreciate what you have put into it. I would start with what BYprodriver said. Advertise on here, Excellence Magazine and PCA. The thought of you selling it makes me sad though. Personally, I would still hang on to it and enjoy it what little time you can. Life has a way of changing. Six months down the road, you might find you have the time. I am sure you have thought it through though. It's just such a nice car, I hate to see you part with it.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
I am my own mechanic....

Got a cup holder?

Glove box?

Great looking ride, but too flashy for my taste!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #8
Rennzenn

Garage
This isn't a personal shot, just a question...
You don't put on a lot of miles, so how much "less time to enjoy it" can you go? Are you traveling and concerned about storage?
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #9
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
GLWS if you go that route. Cars are a funny thing as they come and go from our lives. I hope if you go down this path you won't regret it as you have poured yourself into this car.

With that said, what are you considering as its replacement?
Old 09-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #10

Keep The car ! it will not be worth anything close to what you put into it . How long have you owned it ?
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #11

When I bought my car it was worth 10K. In two years I have put 10K into it ( motor mounts, new AOS, MAF, brakes, clutch, fly wheel water pump, 100K tune up at 80K as long as engine was out) The car is now worth 10K.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #12

JD, I'm with those who suggest that you hold off on selling the Dangermobile. You have put in not only a huge amount of money and effort, but have personalized the car so that it is not only an incredible example of the 986S, but a reflection of you and your tastes. It is a now virtually a 'one-off' and I can guarantee that you will not - cannot replace it with anything that will provide anywhere near the satisfaction and pride of ownership, for anywhere near the money you would receive on a sale.

In time I believe that the values of good (let alone great) examples of the car will start to rise. I have opined elsewhere that IMO, the 2000 986S dual-row is the best of the breed and yours may well be the best of the best. I believe that in time the furor over the failed IMS bearings will die down and the original 986 will be recognized and admired for not only its design, but its place in the history of an important marque.

From a purely practical perspective, let's put it another way - why buy high and sell low? I, for one, believe that the market has already bottomed. Since you have already invested a huge amount and, now that you have upgraded the IMS, since your cost of continued ownership should be quite low (especially with continued low annual mileage), why not keep it and see if the market improves?

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 09-26-2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: 2 signatures
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:43 AM   #13

Please say it isn't so, JD...don't leave us.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #14

This is most disappointing. I hope that, even if you do the unthinkable as sell the Dangermobile for mere money, that you will continue to hang out here. Your unique perspective is a lot of what makes this forum a great place, not to mention your valuable technical knowledge on body kits and wheel fitment.

Perhaps you just need to re-kindle the relationship. You could try a planned date night each week to see if that helps you to re-connect. Think about how seeing her in someone else's arms would make you feel.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
This isn't a personal shot, just a question...
You don't put on a lot of miles, so how much "less time to enjoy it" can you go? Are you traveling and concerned about storage?
Because the road I live along is 2 mile stretch of unmaintained gravel, I've been forced to garage the D-mobile elsewhere for the last 2 1/2 years. Unfortunately, the only available garage that I could find - was located 10 miles away (that's 10 miles of backroad driving) With that said, unless I plan on going for a substantial drive , it's never convenient to take it out. In fact, the amount of time it takes for me to swap cars back and forth adds about 40 minutes to whatever I'm doing. So, I'm always discouraged from wanting to just hop in the car and take it out around town or on short drives. This probably sounds trivial to most, but it's a total pain in the a**. For that reason, I probably only drove it 1,000 to 1,500 miles this Spring/Summer. Prior to this, the vehicle was kept at a friend's place that was located 70 miles away, and for that reason it never got driven.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
GLWS if you go that route. Cars are a funny thing as they come and go from our lives. I hope if you go down this path you won't regret it as you have poured yourself into this car.

With that said, what are you considering as its replacement?
Unless I relocate, nothing along the lines of a sports-car.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #17

Well, that strikes me as the equivalent of the U.S of A. selling Mt. Rushmore ....

About the price: Hard to say: If you hold out long enough, maybe $25k, but as they say in Winterfell: "Winter is coming" (in your area) and selling a convertible might be a bit harder for the upcoming months.

PS: I am missing my Boxster which I sold in the spring (it was more fun to drive than my 997), and my kids still hate me for it.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #18
recycledsixtie

Garage
I am sorry to hear that you might be leaving us. Be careful what you wish for. I am considering selling my 2001 Box base but would get another P car for sure. I think that you would likely have withdrawal symptoms if you sold yours. Subsequent sale could lead to your buying another P car or sessions with a shrink for P car withdrawal syndrome. We will definitely miss you!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #19

JD, perhaps an answer is to book the odd weekend or longer period for a road-trip in the Dangermobile through some nice sportscar country (and you certainly have some nearby). Rather than short jaunts, this summer my wife and I took a rather lengthy (11 day ) trip to Nova Scotia where we drove the Cabot trail. We returned back from the Canadian east coast through Maine, Mass, and NY and had a great time. Last weekend we took her to a beautiful area in northern Ontario and in the spring, took a nice road trip to historic Niagara-on-the Lake, Ontario and its many wineries. My wife was initially reluctant about longer trips in the Box, but we purchased fitted luggage and she found it most enjoyable, especially when we had the top down.

If you are not a member of the PCA, perhaps you should consider joining. They too run many orgainized drives through great areas with stops at interesting restaurants, etc. Heck, your car should also be shown and I would expect you would end up winning some trophies - fun, but also utlimately a good thing in terms of resale. It may also introduce you to a potential purchaser - a fellow Porschephile who will fall in love with your rather unique vehicle and be prepared to pay for the privilege of owning her.

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 09-26-2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: sp
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #20

I think for the loss of investment value in the car you should consider moving your abode to a location more suitable to driving your Boxster.

I recommend a warm climate, hilly, mountanous or canyoned area with roads designed by cross eyed road designers who can't draw a straight line if their life depended on it.
Kalifornia Here we come!

Real Estate and mortgage rates are low now so its a good time to take advantage.
( "Mort" the latin abreviation for Death )

Quality of Life is often overlooked in ones life adventures and obviously the Boxster is a passion of yours. Selling it will likely lead to depression and anxiety.

I think you should seek counseling before you make any rash decisions to sell your pride and joy and get to the bottom of your malady before you do something you will regret.

I mean really, what brings you more joy, a wad of cash that will get spent into thin air, or driving with the top down on a nice day in your beautiful Boxster, even if only occasionally, when ever the urge/obsession strikes you?

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 09-26-2013 at 06:30 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote