Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Visor Fix: Tools available

For those of you with stripped threads for the visor mounting plate I am offering to work with you to fix it. All it takes is:

One 25/64" drill bit.
One portable battery powered drill.
One Nutsert rivit gun with a 6mm mandrel.
Two 6mm steel nutserts.
One disposable towel, sheet, drop cloth, etc.

I fixed mine tonight. Took about 5~10 minutes. Tanks to Burg-Buseter (Visor attachment issue) the problem is fixed for under $100. I bought a metric nutsert rivit gun and 50 nutserts from Zoro tools for about $85 and have 48 or so nutserts left. I did have to buy a set of drill bits (Harbor Freight to the rescues) for an additional $15.

In any case, if you are in the Cochella Valley or LA area, maybe we can work out a tech day or something and fix the broken or drooping visors for free.

FWIW, the only fix is the nutsert method. Unless you are willing to cur off the sill covering on the cowl to replace the mounting plates. I had originally bought new mounting plates and was going to have my window replaced to install new mounting plates. Only to find out that was not possible.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #2

You should preemptively fix your other 4 before selling all the nutserts.

Glad you find the DIY useful

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #3

I thought about that, but my mounting plates are not all like yours and the others are good to go. For now at least.

Intersting enough, I did not have the extraction slot on the drivers side. And the drivers side mounting plate had a fiting like your in the picture with the broken threads, but I was unable to break it up to extract it. The inboard mounting nut was actually a larger flat plate with threads. I had to drill that out and even then, there was significant brass plate remaining.

Neither looked at all like the repalcement plates I bought before I found out I could not repalce them without removing the sill that covered the cowl. Go figure.