Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
haz

Drive light blinks after IMS upgrade!

Continued from this thread http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/47944-oh-no-metal-shavings-oil-filter-%7C.html#post362354

Picked up my 2000 Boxster after an IMS upgrade yesterday:

The light for D in the dash blinks (same interval as an indicator does) while in Drive. As supposed to staying lit. Also the lighs for the different gears 1-5 does are not on at all. After a little Googling I decided it was safe to drive off. (The shop had closed 2 hrs earlier) and 1 hour into the drive and no problems. Then, the D light suddenly changed to stay lit - then started blinking again... Turned off the highway as the power from the engine sort juddered a little. Turned the engine off and on. Did a little driving on some backroads, and no problems - but still blinking in Drive (does not blink when in Park / Reverse / Neutral).

Boxster D-light blinks after IMS upgrade - 2000 TipTronic (tranny wasa out) - YouTube

haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #2

It's your tiptronic going into safe mode . Iirc it blinks alternate d and 4 .
My best guess is the connector for the multiswitch either some oil in it, or simply a bad physical connection .
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
haz

Think you are right. Sorry I didn't update this thread, I talked to SSP again, and they offered to fix it for free after hooking it up to the diagnostic machine + do a free oilchange with filter (it's a 100 mile trip one way)

So I guess problem solved.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:52 AM   #4

You can meter the switch from the tip-dme in the trunk easy enough , and the function tests will tell you if you have a bad connection ...

But I'd rather have an excuse to do a 200 mile drive in the boxster
Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
haz

Aha, thanks for that info.

And yes, I was thinking the same, free oil + fix + 200 miles of twisty roads? Hells yes.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #6

During your trip , try operating the tip in manual .
Also try stomping it when in auto to see if it sets off in 1 instead of the normal 2 .
And when at a red , push the button to select 1 manually , then make sure it automatically goes into auto mode to change you into second .

Basically , get as much info as you can on the drive , so you can pass it on should they need it for diagnosis ... It will give them a better idea of what is wrong .
Old 09-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
haz

He he... I tried all of these things during my 100 mile trip back home from SSP last night

Thing is, it only flashes in D. No lights to indicate which gear it is in - in the left row of lights from 1-5..

It did work perfectly as normal though.

I have heard that IF the 4.th gear AND DRIVE light flashes at the same time, then it has gone into limp home mode, and needs a flush + new oil. Luckily, this is not it.

Note that the tranny has been out from the car for 5 days and does need a reset of it cpu.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #8

i'd be interested to hear the result.

i know that the blinking 4th gear light indicates a general tip fault and if manual mode fails, the car will only display the D light, and manual mode will not engage. perhaps that's what's going on.

maybe a connector was missed when reassembling... hopefully nothing major.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
haz

I hope it's not a major flaw here. It's logical to assume it's an electrical thing that happend when they removed it from the engine when they replaced the IMS.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
haz

Update: there is no update

Well, I took it back to SS Performance (this happend after an IMS upgrade) and had them run a diagnose on it. No error codes for tranny. Check all the connections. All fine.

He recommends a full tranny flush! This is due to the oil getting thicker with age and bla bla bla... The job is almost $1000 and if this solves my tranny acting up for sure 100% -then I'll do it. Problem is he can not guarantee it will fix it..

I think this is is an electrical issue with the tranny. What to do?!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:20 AM   #11

the TIPs are pretty rock solid, so when something starts going wrong, it's important to check it out / have it fixed.

are there any other shops around? my thinking being that get someone else to look at it as well (maybe the first shop just missed something) before jumping in and just throwing money at "maybe" and "possible" fixes. point being, it's best to figure out what's wrong rather than try to guess.

though the "shudder" does lead me to think it needs a fluid change. i forget - how many miles? was yours the one that was sitting for 2 years unused before you purchased it?

Last edited by tonycarreon; 09-20-2013 at 05:23 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #12
haz

Will ask my local Porsche Center next week. I agree with you on that. And I also heard the trannys are supposed to be "bullet proof".
Old 09-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #13

I would check all of the electrical connections as the car aged with heat build up, the wires can be fragile.

For example, I recently changed out the SAI valve and the electric change over valve. I moved the engine harness around for bolt access and one of the harness wires snapped further away from the plug.

It could be that when he lower the tranny, that he forgot a harness or two and damaged it. Ask him!
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #14
haz

Thanks, as stated three posts back, all connections were checked (I witnessed the mechanic) and rechecked a couple of weeks ago.

I can't believe I photographed him while doing it but...

Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #15

Garage
Take a look at the Wheeler Dealers Boxster episode. They had an issue with the Tiptronic and Ed flushed the tranny which solved the problem.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
haz

Seen it. They had a slipping second gear. I still think my problem sounds electrical..
Old 09-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #17

How did Ed change out the old oil completely?

FYI: Don't use the word "flush" in this forum, it signifies that the transmission is hooked up to a machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Take a look at the Wheeler Dealers Boxster episode. They had an issue with the Tiptronic and Ed flushed the tranny which solved the problem.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
How did Ed change out the old oil completely?

FYI: Don't use the word "flush" in this forum, it signifies that the transmission is hooked up to a machine.
They didnīt show that part. Only the being drained from the tranny, chaning of filter and how he fills it up again using that floor-pump thingy in rounds. Well if youīve seen it I donīt need to explain further.. (if you didnīt see the episode: 15 mins in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcdabPXegj8 )
Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #19

Haz the interesting thing is that the light wasn't blinking when you dropped the car off...only after they had worked on it. You could drop it off and tell them to 'finish' the job- ie 'call me when my car is fully functioning, without blinking lights. It's too bad you drove away with blinking as you've now taken the responsibility on for fixing it. I think they've done something wrong as 'it was fine when you took it to them'. They solved one problem and left you with a new one.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Haz the interesting thing is that the light wasn't blinking when you dropped the car off...only after they had worked on it. You could drop it off and tell them to 'finish' the job- ie 'call me when my car is fully functioning, without blinking lights. It's too bad you drove away with blinking as you've now taken the responsibility on for fixing it. I think they've done something wrong as 'it was fine when you took it to them'. They solved one problem and left you with a new one.
My thought exactly. So I called them (SSP who did my IMS upgrade) and asked what to do. They invited me back to do a full scan for error codes to fix the tranny + a new oil change for engine. I saved $500 on a free oil change... but they werenīt able to fix the tranny. They have been nothing but helpfull. They do recommend a tranny flush to see if that will fix it.

I also contacted Porsche Center Oslo and asked for help in my situation. They were stumped also, didnīt know anything about this type of tranny issue and also recommended a tranny flush....