Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
Haha, watching you guys bash my lights makes my heart sink.
Hey, don't be sad
I had your car in mind when I said that they look ok on a black box.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #22

Took it to one last place, and they finally were able to fit them in and make them lock.
Car looks awesome. Still i think it shouldn't have been this much of a headache.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
Took it to one last place, and they finally were able to fit them in and make them lock.
Car looks awesome. Still i think it shouldn't have been this much of a headache.
Congrats, let's see some pics!
juicepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #24

Ok, below is my last contibution to the thread with a few pics.

In the end, the driver side fit fine with no issues. The passanger side would not lock in (nor seat with the connector providing power) even with the dremmel hack. What I had to do was the following:

-Remove connector from the headlamp tray and connect to the lamp manually
-Fashion a small piece of metal connected to the body to apply pressure to hold lamp in
-Cut a small hole in the "frunk" surround to allow bolt to pass through (otherwise it pushed up on the surround)

The lamp fits nice and tight and no worries about it coming loose. Also, I have had no issues with the power staying connected since I removed the connector/harness it from the headlamp tray.

The pics should pretty much explain it all:

jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #25

i just got my "second generation" as well. and i too am having fitment issues. it won't lock and it won't keep power on. this sucks. it seems worse than the first gen. ARGGG!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16 View Post
i just got my "second generation" as well. and i too am having fitment issues. it won't lock and it won't keep power on. this sucks. it seems worse than the first gen. ARGGG!!!
With the problems you are having, something tells me the faulty fitting issue(s) those have is with the back connector. Somehow the headlight's male pins don't align with the female pins properly. I have a feeling.

You know you can clearly see the headlight & fender connectors when you pull the plastic wheel well a bit (loosen two plastic clips on the wheel well and pull gently). Would worth a try to see if this all align properly. If not then just align it with one hand and ask a friend to push the headlight in for you.

Hope this helps a bit
Old 11-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #27

thanks. will give a try. also, the right light is malfunctioning. when i turn on the turn signal, the yellow lights turn on and blink, but the white lights don't turn off. any idea how to fix this? only happens on the right head light, the left side works as it is suppose to.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16 View Post
thanks. will give a try. also, the right light is malfunctioning. when i turn on the turn signal, the yellow lights turn on and blink, but the white lights don't turn off. any idea how to fix this? only happens on the right head light, the left side works as it is suppose to.
Looks as if there is a faulty LED module on the right-side headlight. If you can't open the unit and get a replacement module alone then you need to ask for a complete replacement right-side unit from your seller.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 11-10-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #29

Are the LEDs street legal

Folks, I have bought and installed these headlights on my 2000 Boxster, and they look great. I also agree that it gives the car 10 years newer look. However, in researching white bulbs for these headlamps, I came across guidelines indicating that blue lights are not street legal i.e., only yellow or white. These LEDs (where the yellow turn signals are also located) are definitely blue. Anyone which experience on these lights and can comment on them? Anyone got a ticket for it? Any comments/feedback on real life experience is appreciated.
rt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:59 PM   #30

I know this is an OLD thread but these headlights are still being sold new and used on eBay, etc.... and recently - I "splurged" and got these used from eBay for around $500. I just was tired of restoring the old non-litronics, and wanted to avoid the whole oven melt burnt inner lens replacement surgery hassle. These DO look damn good, and do "take ten years off" the age of the '02 car.
However, I came to this thread because for the life of me I could -not- get the LEFT headlight in - exactly as others report! No amount of manipulation would let it "click" snap/lock in.
But after some youtube further research - I found a shockingly simple answer: lots of silicon lube (strangely enough). Also - sanding the rust off of the lock bar. So - make sure to lube the locking bar, the sliding grooves, and especially, the rubber seal for the electrical connection - doing so meant there was no loud, disturbing "snap" lock, but it does lock just perfectly fine and securely and now smoothly - post lube.
Unfortunately I was hoping I might be able to deal with a few already bad little daylight LEDs on this, but it doesn't look like it's a remotely easy DIY repair. I tried an LED upgrade, but that didn't work, so I'm trying a HID upgrade in it (normal bulbs were extremely anemic). We'll see.
emdls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:34 AM   #31

@emdls how are they holding up? This has been on my list but after all the poor experiences with them I have held off. Curious to know if I should follow your move

safesaxbdd is offline   Reply With Quote