Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #21

TO: Good suggestion +1

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #22

AK: I agree this is one of the worst forums in terms of repeat questions! BUT like P-lap said. we are also the best forum i have seen for not just badgering the new guy for the repeat (or 20-peat) question!
We have all asked a repeat question in our forum careers! so I think we need to focus more on how to fix the problem like TO said and sticky some of these repeats.

Or I was on a forum once that when your first signed up it played a video on how to use the search function!!! worked really well
Old 09-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstud17 View Post
BUT like P-lap said. we are also the best forum i have seen for not just badgering the new guy for the repeat (or 20-peat) question!
I can't dispute that at all. Which is why I tried to post a "constructive" post. Honestly, there is no need to flame someone. Just don't reply. Don't read it if you don't want to. Although, I too understand why people - including myself - have posted a message and included the phrase - search is your friend - or similar comment.

I've also noticed that 90% of the people that post an oil thread - or similar noob question - also flame the person that posted the search response. In fact, I suspect there is a high correlation between people that post without any prior search for a common subject and their entitlement attitude. The "entitlement attitude" is very prevalent in Southern CA. Although, maybe it is more generational than location specific. Or ...
Old 09-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #24
Redmond's Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Hey, PLEASE don't start tossin' a lot of unwarranted sarcasm at me buddy. This subject's been covered a thousand times on this site. Don't be lazy---look it up! (For that matter, there's already a "Which oil to use" thread going right now. We need two of them??)
All I was trying to do is get my question answered. Googles search engine offers too much information and i was wondering who can just drop me a few lines what the best options are. Why go out of your way on an online forum to try and cause and inconvenient stir? Pretty immature. Unlike the other guys who actually told me the awnser to my questions. Thank you so much guys! And I'm not new to the forum been a member for quite some time just never find the time to post on here and when I do it's only a few simple questions.
Redmond Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
Redmond's Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Shooting down new members is pretty sad. How do they know that they should have to search for the info and why should they go that route if they don't know that exists already?
Thank you - someone understands where I'm coming from. All the guys that are swearing name calling etc seriously need to grow some
Old 09-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmond Boxster View Post
Googles search engine offers too much information...
Okay, I guess this really is your first forum as member. The others weren't telling you to do a Google search. They were telling you to use the search function on THIS website. You will only get search results from members of THIS forum.

And as I stated before, which I guess you didn't bother to read, posting these kinds of questions about oil, umpteenth times, spams the search results for those who actually use the 986forum.com's search function.

What people dislike about your question is that it makes you look like someone who can't be bothered to do a simple 986forum.com search, and instead prefers to have people spoon feed him extremely common answers to extremely common questions.

That's how it looks from over here. Your latest answer above really doesn't do you any favors.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-16-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #27
Redmond's Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Okay, I guess this really is your first forum as member. The others weren't telling you to do a Google search. They were telling you to use the search function on THIS website. You will only get search results from members of THIS forum.

And as I stated before, which I guess you didn't bother to read, posting these kinds of questions about oil, umpteenth times, spams the search results for those who actually use the 986forum.com's search function.

What people dislike about your question is that it makes you look like someone who can't be bothered to do a simple 986forum.com search, and instead prefers to have people spoon feed him extremely common answers to extremely common answers.
That's how it looks from over here. Your latest answer above really doesn't do you any favors.

You seriously have the time to write all of that out? Just for a few questions. Get a life man seriously
Old 09-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Shooting down new members is pretty sad. How do they know that they should have to search for the info and why should they go that route if they don't know that exists already?
Usually when new members ask questions that aren't as common as the one the OP started here, there is no shooting down.

And anyone who has ever registered for a forum knows that forum searches are one of the main attractions of any good forum. You can search virtually any topic you can think of relating to the car and someone has started a thread on it.

Unless of course that forum newbie is like 17, this is his first car, the only phone he has ever owned is an iPhone and he doesn't know Steve McQueen from Steve Jobs.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #29

Quote:
You seriously have the time to write all of that out? Just for a few questions. Get a life man seriously
I was once stupid too. Then I grew up. I also moved out of my folks house and paid for my Porsche with my own money. You have a lot to learn about many things but luckily you have a lot of time to do so.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-16-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #30
Redmond's Boxster

Garage
Quote:
I was once stupid too. Then I grew up. I also moved out of my folks house and paid for my Porsche with my own money. You have a lot to learn about many things.

Haha I own my porsche with no repayments, I also own my own home, even though your comments are completely irrelevant. You are still stupid by sitting at home trying to cause also an irrelevant argument on a car forum? Pathetic mate seriously. Show your wife then she will laugh at you.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Haha I own my porsche with no repayments, I also own my own home, even though your comments are completely irrelevant. You are still stupid by sitting at home trying to cause also an irrelevant argument on a car forum? Pathetic mate seriously. Show your wife then she will laugh at you.
You still sound like a 17 year old... Actually that's an insult to the 17 year olds who have come onto this forum and actually know how to search it. They also refrain from insulting exisitng members. That's not our style here....mate.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #32
Redmond's Boxster

Garage
Quote:
You still sound like a 17 year old... Actually that's an insult to the 17 year olds who have come onto this forum and actually know how to search it. They also refrain from insulting exisitng members. That's not our style here....mate.
I never once insulted you, and please don't speak on behalf of other members like "that's not our style" you made the claim that I still live at home etc etc i am just trying to get my question awnsered and people like you do not make it any easier. I have got some good responses on my post which is great and I will proceed to buying the bits I need. Once again, saying I'm a 17 year old bla bla is also completely irrelevant. Enjoy your life I will not respond to you again. Ps stay happy.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #33

Quote:
I will not respond to you again.
Is that a promise? I hope you keep it.

To recap,
1-you post a basic question that could have been easily answered with a basic search.
2-Your next post starts off with sarcasm directed to members who have previously provided many new members with good information.
3- You then started insulting people and telling them they need to get a life or to 'grow some'.

You should know that since I joined this forum 9 years ago, you sir are the first to score this obnoxious hat trick. And somehow I still think you don't comprehend a thing about the need to perform searches rather than spamming the search results. Newsflash mate, the good answers you got here... there are a TON of good answers just like those in the search database. The one you didn't bother with.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-16-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #34
recycledsixtie

Garage
I just don't get it. Those that get snippy and impatient with newbies come across as arrogant. Totally unnecessary. We were all newbies once. Why escalate this nonsense. Move on . Sheesh....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #35

Quote:
I just don't get it. Those that get snippy and impatient with newbies come across as arrogant. Totally unnecessary. We were all newbies once. Why escalate this nonsense. Move on . Sheesh....
I see you left out his insults to the other members...

When I was newbie, I didn't direct sarcasm and insults towards existing members.

Also, it's going on well over 10 years since these types of forums have been around. Being a newbie to one particular forum doesn't mean you don't understand the basic search functionality that appears at the top header of this and every other forum running these templated layouts. Sorry RS, the newbie excuse doesn't wash this time. This guy is just lazy and entitled.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-16-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post

I've also noticed that 90% of the people that post an oil thread - or similar noob question - also flame the person that posted the search response. In fact, I suspect there is a high correlation between people that post without any prior search for a common subject and their entitlement attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
This subject's been covered a thousand times on this site. Don't be lazy---look it up! (For that matter, there's already a "Which oil to use" thread going right now. We need two of them??)

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-16-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #37

So, just to change the direction slightly, maybe we should have a search button that's about the size of that advertising banner up there, with an arrow pointing to it that says "Click me, yes, this means you!"

And to put things back where I found them, I'm totally with Perfectlap on this, and I'll bet the guy STILL hasn't done a search.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #38

Coming in from left field here. I understand the argument for the use of the search feature. What I will never understand are the people that get annoyed at the fact that the same questions are posted. The argument becomes that it floods the search results. There is no such thing as too much information when it comes to cars. What ruins the search results is when people see an oil thread that is now pushing 3 pages thinking they just found the gold mine of information on their topic only to find that it's about people complaining about repeated posts. How difficult is it to just skip reading a thread that has been posted a million times? It actually takes less time to not read a thread then it does to use the search function. People posting the same questions over and over again on a forum will never end. Perfect lap, for someone who has been a member for 9 years, you of all people should know this will never change. So for someone complaining about ruined search results, you are part of then ruined result. If this thread had zero replies no-one would have clicked this thread when searching for oil questions. Now all people searching for an oil thread will click this thread only to be very disappointed.

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #39

Saw this post previously and shaked my head. Saw it again today with multiple replies and thought......Yep bar room fight. Sorry couldn't resist while lmao.

OP starting a oil thread is the quickest way to uh, meet new people. Not my rule but it is what it is. Oil threads always leave me more confused after reading anyway. 5w 40 Castrol. Change every 5k miles or every year.

I say the newbies should be the one to respond to the repeat post.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #40
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Wow.

To the OP: your first response to a clearly well established member was a bit negative. I think that we can all benefit from a little civility here. Yes, I get very tired of seeing the same questions posted over and over and over. However, I think no response would be better than a negative one.

That being said, I've never commented on one of the oil threads, so I'll do so here. My car has full service records and has always been filled with Mobil 1 10W-40, so that's what I use(Hengst filter from Pelican).

The problem with the oil threads is that everyone has an opinion, and all opinions seem to differ. Do the reading and go with your gut

Last edited by particlewave; 09-16-2013 at 09:31 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote