Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2006, 11:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqtran
As soon as Porsche offers a SMG/DSG(sequential clutch peddless) F1 treansmission, I'm taking it over a stick any day.
If it doesn't cost major bucks, certainly I'd agree with you. Knowing Porsche though, it'll be like a $10,000 option at least.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #22

My god, how times have changed.
When I joined the 986Forum coming up on three years ago one of the first posts I made was a polemic about never buying another car with a manual transmission.
I was slagged mercilessly by the stick shifter crowd.
I must say I have moderated my position somewhat since then, to the point where today I would not specifically go after (another) Tipper car, but I wouldn't kick one out of bed either.
I think in the long run manual transmissions will go the way of the proverbial DoDo Bird, as manufacturers find it easier to meet emissions and fuel economy requirements if the computer controls the transmission rather than the driver.
The Box is a great ride, either way.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #23

Lexus is on the way with an eight speed auto.

Sign of the times. Actually, it is one step closer to a CVT.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #24

See, I use to be a stick fan. But I got the chance to drive an M3 with a SMG and I thought "OMG this rocks"
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #25

If only I had known that I might potentially rub Natecooper "the wrong way" , I would have certainly rethought my poor decision to buy a Tiptronic Boxster. And, I wouldn't blame Blinkwatt for "sticking his tongue out" as he blew by me, either. You see, these guys must have their fingers on the pulse of what it is to be "real men". I thank them for setting me straight. I can only apologize to everyone that I have offended - What was I thinking? I don't want to be a p-whipped girlyman!

I guess that I had mistakenly thought that all Porsches are pretty cool. Particularly, Boxsters. Why, a Tiptronic Boxster even holds the Brumos Porsche Driving School track record but I suppose that really doesn't matter either.

What seems to matter to some is putting some one else down. What is wrong with people like you Natecooper? How old are you? It would seem around twelve would be my guess. And Blinkwatt - stick your tongue out? My eleven year old daughter could come up with something more mature than that!
aerocrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #26
bmussatti

I sure hope we don't have more people quitting the Forum becaue of this thread. We already lost one member this week because of the N&K Filter thread!!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #27

No need to quit.

There is room for all the enjoy this passion.

We are an equal opportunity enabler!

Old 01-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #28

Quote --- ""Third, I love my Wife. Since Marrying, she has always been totally supportive of my Hobby. She's come along to countless Auto-X, Track, and Show days and has sat quietly on the sidelines and I wanted to get her involved. After 8 years of owning my Lotus Esprit, I finally was able to urge her to drive it. I pulled over in the Parking Lane, swapped seats. She put the Car in gear, drove 100', pulled over and said "That was nice..." She can drive a stick, but simply doesn't like it. Buying a Tip S has allowed her to take the Car and she really gets her foot in it. It is 'Our' Car, and that makes me Happy.""

When I got "our" 2002 S, was looking at Tips and wife said absolutly NOT, It is a sports car and comes with six speed trans.

So we have a six speed to go along with her 5 speed BMW and my "Auto" magnum.

mike
Old 01-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #29

I personally haven't driven a non-stick car that I thought was fun to drive. I always felt a bit hamstrung by the delayed response. Once they come out with a tranny that shifts smoothly, rev-matches properly, is as quick to shift gears as a manual tranny AND is affordable, I'll be all over it. I have no fantasies about my abilities being better than a proper DSG or what not.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #30

Quit? Hell no! This is the best forum on the web for Boxster lovers. It's saved me hundreds of dollars and I have way more knowledge of the car now.

I started this post right after I saw my neighbors auto last night, and I appologize for choosing a less than tackful way of sharing 2 views of mine:

1. It is unfortunate that my generation does not enjoy stick shifts as much as I feel they could.
2. I prefer a stick and wanted to get people talking about sticks vs. autos in their boxsters.

I was not trying to offend anyone, however, obviously have. To try and make up for a post I could have started in a more positive tone I will post a picture of myself with a duck bill. Enjoy.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #31

Nice comeback!

thanks for staying.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by natecooper
1. It is unfortunate that my generation does not enjoy stick shifts as much as I feel they could.
You're talking about 30-and-under, right? What makes you think that a Porsche forum is a good sampling of twenty-somethings?

I'm 30 and prefer stick. Ask any of my friends that own 350Zs, Miatas, Mini Coopers, Eclipses, Evos, etc. and you'll get that same answer.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #33

Is everyone on the same menstrual cycle or what? Oh great, here comes the tongue lashing from the females. Where is Jeph and his bottle cap collection to lighten the mood.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:54 PM   #34

"I don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die!" (name that movie!)
Old 01-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #35

I think people need to read a little more carefully. It sounds to me like he's trying to let everyone know that he thinks driving a stick shift is becoming a dying art in an era of PASM and all the other driver-error reducing gadgetry.
I think you can't even buy a Ferrari 360 Modena without paddle shifters(evil) without having to pay extra for a good old 6 six speed gated shifter.

As far as sportscars go (is that one word or two??) there will always be stick shifts. A steering wheel, three pedals, and stick shift: the pure sportscar experience. And hopefully one day Porsche will start buying them s2000 gear boxes from Honda.
snick snick snick snick.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:36 PM   #36

Well, the S2000 isn't using cable actuation and with the boxster's tranny hanging out by the exhaust, I don't think we'll ever see the sweet kind of snickety-snick sort of action you get from Miatas and hondas.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Is everyone on the same menstrual cycle or what? Oh great, here comes the tongue lashing from the females (that's hot). Where is Jeph and his bottle cap collection to lighten the mood.
In the words of Charles Darwin... "BOO-YAH!"
I keep 'em behind my computer now AND I'm up to 4 cupfulls mother truckers!

How'd'ya like me NOW!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
"I don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die!" (name that movie!)
Didn't Mr. Garrison say that on an episode of South Park?
Quote:
To try and make up for a post I could have started in a more positive tone I will post a picture of myself with a duck bill. Enjoy.
Friend, I am glad you're on this board!
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com

Last edited by Jeph; 01-20-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Quit? Hell no! This is the best forum on the web for Boxster lovers. It's saved me hundreds of dollars and I have way more knowledge of the car now.

I started this post right after I saw my neighbors auto last night, and I appologize for choosing a less than tackful way of sharing 2 views of mine:

2. I prefer a stick and wanted to get people talking about sticks vs. autos in their boxsters.

I was not trying to offend anyone, however, obviously have. To try and make up for a post I could have started in a more positive tone I will post a picture of myself with a duck bill. Enjoy.

Hi,

That's the Spirit!!

I took No Offense in the least - skip the Duck Prostheses - that's a Little Scarey!

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
It's called Descriptive Writing - that's what I do, I'm an Author and fully avail myself of Artistic License.
Oh it described a lot about you. Thanks for clearing this up for us!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #40

Mighty fine bottle cap collection! My otherwise crappy week is now complete.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote