Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

Oil Pres/Temp Guages the low tech or high tech way

Does anyone know what dia/pitch the thread is for the Oil Pressure Switch sender unit for the Oil Pressure dummy light?

I want to find an Oil Pressure/Temp sender that will fit and interface it with a couple LED strips that piggy back on the existing Guages to give proportional Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature readings.

I dont like idiot lights that give you no indication until its already too late and I'd like to fit them without having to do major dash modifications or loose console slots to guages.

I'm thinking something like the pic below where the LEDs light up progressively as the readings get higher.

I also wonder if the OBS data may already have that info, in which case I may take a whole other approach instead and interface with a PC tablet in place of my double din radio.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #2

Garage
14mm x 1 medium pitc, most aftermarket gauges have 1/8" pipe threads so I drill & tap the plug from the drivers side cam cover for a adapter.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Garage
Is that the outside temperature right under you digital speed?? I didn't know 01 boxsters had that. Or maybe its an option i don't have :S
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #4

Garage
Have you tried the torque app for your smart phone? It uses a blue tooth OBD II reader. I bought the following:

BAFX Products (TM) - PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible : Amazon.com : Automotive

The app will even give you information on your laps as well as additional gauges. All this for $30.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Cheap enough in case it doesn't do totally what you want.
gj3ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj3ny View Post
Have you tried the torque app for your smart phone? It uses a blue tooth OBD II reader. I bought the following:

BAFX Products (TM) - PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible : Amazon.com : Automotive

The app will even give you information on your laps as well as additional gauges. All this for $30.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Cheap enough in case it doesn't do totally what you want.
i have an ELM327 Mini Blue Tooth OBD2 dongle but it does not have oil pressure.

I checked with my Durametric and the engine monitors Oil Temp, but not the pressure.

The Oil pressure is arguably the most important thing to know about your engine, since any fault with the oil will eventually destroy your engine.

It just causes too much paranoia amongst consumers so they ave idiot lights.

I was tricked the other day by a yellow indicator symbol that looked like what I thought would be oil presure. after a few nervous moments I discovered from the manual that it is the Low wiper fluid....sheesh, scared me thinking all my fun was coming to an end.

That is when I realized that there is no Oil pressure monitoring, just a pressure switch that turns on the idiot light when you have reached a critically low or no pressure.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
Old 09-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramo80 View Post
Is that the outside temperature right under you digital speed?? I didn't know 01 boxsters had that. Or maybe its an option i don't have :S
Yes the computer stalk on the left side of the steering column toggles through a bunch of readings including outside air temp.

Search the forum for "Enable Instrument panel computer"

I think many models have it but it may not be enabled or have the computer stalk installed.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
14mm x 1 medium pitc, most aftermarket gauges have 1/8" pipe threads so I drill & tap the plug from the drivers side cam cover for a adapter.
great thanks for that info. I suppose all the racers get those Oil pres/temp gages as part of the build.

Can't live without it if you want the engine to last while racing.