Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #1

Shipping my Boxster from one coast to the other, recommendations?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on moving to Los Angeles this summer and with that, I've decided to have my boxster shipped. I've never dealt with car shipping companies before and I was wondering if anyone had been in this situation before and had a positive outcome with a good shipping service. Since my car will be traveling from the east coast to the west, I want to know my car will be safe, but I also want the best/lowest rates. I've been doing my own research as well but any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

don330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by don330 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on moving to Los Angeles this summer and with that, I've decided to have my boxster shipped. I've never dealt with car shipping companies before and I was wondering if anyone had been in this situation before and had a positive outcome with a good shipping service. Since my car will be traveling from the east coast to the west, I want to know my car will be safe, but I also want the best/lowest rates. I've been doing my own research as well but any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks in advance!
Many moons ago I used Los Angeles Auto Shipping, but I shipped a car FROM L.A. to Boston. Their rates were pretty good, and the car arrived just as it left.

You are missing the best opportunity ever though. Summer road trip in the Boxster across country...drool....Of course for the price of airfare and gas I could always drive it one way for you.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #3

uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves
eBay of shipping, used it few times for a few large items, but have had a chance to use for a car yet.
KeithB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #4

ROAD TRIP!!!!!! I would over to do a trip across the country in a Boxster and have time off, have GPS and will travel. If you do find someone to drive it across for you (hint hint) make sure you check your auto insurance to make sure you are covered. If finding someone to drive it for you is not an option or to expensive I was going to have a car shipped from Atlanta to Key West and that was going to be close to $600. I ended up flying up and driving it home myself for lots less and it was a great trip.
keysguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #5

Check with Jake. He says he has a reliable shipping company. Plus, you might be able to ship it to him for a bit of new upgrades and then ship it out to you in LA afterwards.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #6

Garage
I have used Uship 6 0r 7 times and had great results and good rates. Expect to spend about a grand.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #7

I agree with using that grand for a road trip. I've done the drive from the West Coast to D.C. twice and highly recommend it.
Pack a small tent and sleeping bag, there's a lot of nice spots to camp along the way to keep the cost down. Hit the truck stops for a clean bathroom and morning shower/cheap breakfast.
It'll give you an excuse to swing by Lake Tahoe or Vegas depending on your route.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #8

Garage
Road trip- cannonball run style!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB1 View Post
uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves
eBay of shipping, used it few times for a few large items, but have had a chance to use for a car yet.
Hopefully that Jared guy doesn't show up . Haha

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #10

Thanks for your input, guys. I'll definitely look into uship more when the time gets closer. Trust me, I'd love to road trip it out there! I considered it at first but with the costs, wear and tear, and the fear of something going wrong on the way... I think I'm going to stick to shipping it. If it was a shorter distance I totally would.

I've also been thinking about it and I might be selling my hardtop. It would pay for the shipping, and I guess I won't be needing it with the California weather.
don330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
l3m

If you're going to ship it, cover your top with plastic to protect from oil drips. Or request that your car be on the top level.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #12

I'll second the Uship recommendation. I've shipped 4 cars now using their site. Only problem I've ever encountered was when shipping an inop vehicle - major delay getting it out, but it arrived in 3 days coast to coast unscathed.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #13

I just purchased a Saleen Mustang from FL and had it shipped to me in CA. First time for me and Monarch shipping will be the only one I use ever again. On time, no hidden costs, car delivered with care, and I even called the driver everyday (and he never hung up on me : )
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #14

I had 2 cars shipped from New Jersey to Florida, using 2 different companies, they were bidux car transport company and here is another one. My advice is take some of digital photos of your vehicle if its possible, (if you don't buy the car from another state etc) before they load it up and keep them until your car is transported. Don't look for the chepest prices, sometimes it's worth the extra costs.

Last edited by Meriopiler; 09-05-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Meriopiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #15

I know an la porsche guy .
Ill find you his details later .
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #16

my god I hope you don't mean my coast? if it is then just the car will be ok. you can keep the wheels
TAKART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #17

Everybody has the right to an opinion .
However , you must Be prepared to make yourself look a fool should you choose to voice it ...
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #18

Garage
Intercity Lines