Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2006, 02:43 AM   #1

Gear Lever

I can’t move my tiptronic gear lever to the park position (p)!
does anyone know what might be the problem?
I can move it to other positions.

BOXSTER 2000
TIPTRONIC

donjuan143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:10 AM   #2

Hi,

Many possibilities. There could be an obstruction in the Gear Lever mechanism, such as a stone or the like restricting the Shift Lever movement. The issue could be with the Lock-Out Mechanism (Button) on the Shifter. There could be a problem with the Selector Cable and/or linkage. There could be a problem with the Transmission Gear Position Switch (mounted on the Transmission).

If you're not familiar with working on the Car, you should stop at this point and take it to a shop.

If you are comfortable doing some work, I would first remove the Interior Shift Plate and look for any foreign object or other obstruction down in the Shifter. Then check Shifter Lock-Out Button for proper operation - what happens when you depress the knob..?? Then, remove Transmission Shift Lever Cable at the Transmission and see if the Shifter then moves properly once it is free of the Transmission. Then, try moving the Transmission Gear Position Switch Manually.

I suspect you'll find the trouble in one of these components. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:33 AM   #3

thanks

thanks for your reply
if i remove the Transmission Shift Lever Cable then the lever moves normally.
this happend when my car was parked and i started the car then moved the lever from park to nutral i heard a sound on the gear, (this sound i always hear it on my BMW when i move the lever from the park especially if my car is not parked on a striaght surface) my car drove normally until i parked it and couldnt move the lever to (P).
donjuan143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan143
thanks for your reply
if i remove the Transmission Shift Lever Cable then the lever moves normally.
this happend when my car was parked and i started the car then moved the lever from park to nutral i heard a sound on the gear, (this sound i always hear it on my BMW when i move the lever from the park especially if my car is not parked on a striaght surface) my car drove normally until i parked it and couldnt move the lever to (P).
Hi,

If the lever moves freely when the cable is disconnected from the tranny, it would seem you've eliminated the Shifter/Lockout Mechanisms as possible causes.

This, and the noise(s) you describe, make the Transmission suspect. Try readjusting the Shift Lever Cable so that when the Shifter is in Park, there is no tension on the Cable - this is the recommended set-up. Then check to see if the Shift Lever will move through it's normal range, pay particular attention to the Gear Selection Indicator on the Dash to insure that you are actually engaging the various Gears. Hope this helps...

Old 01-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #5

Hi,

Here's a recall notice for the TipS Cars. Not exactly what you're experiencing, but possibly related. Hope this helps...

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Make : PORSCHE Model : BOXSTER Year : 1999
Manufacturer : PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V004000 Mfg's Report Date : JAN 14, 2003
Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 12234
Summary:
CERTAIN 2-DOOR CONVERTIBLE PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE TIPTRONIC (AUTOMATIC) TRANSMISSION MAY HAVE BEEN PRODUCED WITH AN INCORRECTLY ADJUSTED KEY-LOCK-CABLE DOWN TO THE SHIFT SELECTOR. IF THE KEY-LOCK-CABLE IS NOT ADJUSTED CORRECTLY, IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE IGNITION KEY WILL SNAG UPON BEING REMOVED FRO THE IGNITION LOCK OR THE SLECTOR LEVER CAN BE SHIFTED FROM POSITION "P" WITH THE IGNITION KEY REMOVED AND THE LOCKING BUTTON OPERATED.
Consequence:
IF THE SELECTOR LEVER IS THEN SHIFTED FROM POSITION "P" TO POSITION "R, N OR D" WITH THE VEHICLE PARKED, AND IF THE PARKING BRAKE IS NOT ON, THE VHEICLE WILL NOT BE SECURED FROM INADVERTENLY ROLLING AWAY, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE CABLE ADJUSTMENT AND, REGARDLESS OF THE RESULTS OF THIS INSPECTION, THE KEY-LOCK-CABLE MUST ALSO BE ADJUSTED. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JULY 15, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT PORSCHE AT 1-800-545-8039.
Notes:
PORSCHE RECALL NO. A305. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).