Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #21

Garage
Looks great!

Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
Thank you all for the info. It seems like plasti dip is the easiest/least work route, but many other forums say that plasti dip doesnt last very long. I think I'm gonna leather wrap the two arm rests. Still undecided about the main console. Has anybody tried to leather wrap the center console?
While I have not leather wrapped the console (mine was already painted the body color when I bought the car) I do remember a member doing it with great results a few years back. If I remember correctly, the holes presented a challenge but he got it done. Make sure you buy a thinner leather, I purchased mine off of ebay from a seller named Bob Kitchener, used Weldwood Contact Cement and applied it using disposable chinese bristle brushes. Use a D cell battery to smooth / press leather into the concave surfaces.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
While I have not leather wrapped the console (mine was already painted the body color when I bought the car) I do remember a member doing it with great results a few years back. If I remember correctly, the holes presented a challenge but he got it done. Make sure you buy a thinner leather, I purchased mine off of ebay from a seller named Bob Kitchener, used Weldwood Contact Cement and applied it using disposable chinese bristle brushes. Use a D cell battery to smooth / press leather into the concave surfaces.
Then there is always Pedro's DIY where he did his center console. I forgot that he did the console along with the door pulls, and arm rests.

Leather Upholstering
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Then there is always Pedro's DIY where he did his center console. I forgot that he did the console along with the door pulls, and arm rests.

Leather Upholstering
That's the one, I couldn't remember. His write-up is what I followed when I did mine.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #25

Garage
There is this one for just the door arm rests but I love his use of the Goodwill leather jacket!

Leather Door Pocket Covers
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #26

Garage
I'm thinking of getting the materials (film, activator etc...) and trying to hydrodip these parts myself. anyone ever done that?
I'm fairly skilled with painting, tinkering etc... so I think it should be easy. start with the door handle covers and see how it goes.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #27

That looks great!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #28

Garage
I hydrodipped mine as well. Turned out fantastic. I have a buddy that has a buddy that does it. I took off the rubber coating and he did the rest.

I took some pics of my interior. You can check them out here.
Zenfolio | Mark Guilaran Photography | Boxster

markskyline is offline   Reply With Quote