Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #1

Body Wrap for the Boxster exterior?

The many colors and level of gloss seems almost limitless for those wishing to change their Box's color and look.I'm interested.Anyone had this done? Pictures?

litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #2

There has been a lot of this on Rennlist. Search there too. Expect to pay about $4,000 for a quality job. Some parts still need to be painted like mirrors and door handles.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #3

I got an estimate this week of a basic 3M color job of $1400.00. I was told it will be good for 5 years. Any blemish in the paint, or sealant needs repaired, or will show through the wrap as the adhesive is dry. Warranty is on any flat surface; however, the curves and small details are not. I have come to the conclusion, I am better off paying almost 2k for sanding and entire repaint......just my experience.

https://www.facebook.com/TheKingofWraps
Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the info and ideas.Bet some good pics are out there to see.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #5

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 02:31 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #6

Sorry madmods but you are misinformed....

I do this for a living...have been for about 7+ years now and there are still several wraps I did in the beginning that are still on the road. You can expect the wrap to fade the more it is exposed to the sun but that is true of anything. The "color" wraps that are all the rage now are almost always on a preprinted film that comes that way to the installer. In the past, the installer would likely have to print and laminate the film in house. The color films do not have a separate laminate protective film applied over them where printed wraps typically do. The warranty they provide is because that is what 3m warrants the material to ....why would you provide a warranty that is greater than what the manufacturer provides as that leaves you unprotected. I have never used rubber gloves or seen any one install with rubber gloves. It is possible to burnish the flat finish films but is done as much with heat as anything else. If the car is properly washed (all of it...door jams, trunk, rockers, etc.) the film should have no problem sticking provided the car is wax free and the paint is in good shape. It is near impossible to wrap a modern car seamlessly as there are just too many places (bumper, fog lights, intakes) that the film would have to be stretched to a point of failure to wrap in one piece. Once you get beyond the expectation that it is not 100% the same as a paint job you should be okay. Average cost is probably around 2-2500k for a small car I would guess. We just wrapped a ford raptor a few weeks ago with a CF film (which is more $$) and it was close to 3k I think.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #7

Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #8

Old 08-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #9

3M does make a chrome of the 1080 film

without having to put a clear coat or additional materials on top of the vinyl. I have a piece sitting in front of me now and like most of the other films, if you rub the surface with something abrasive it will scratch and/or leave swirl marks. I have been told you can wax most of theses films (I have not tried it myself) to provide an additional layer of protection. The lifespan of the vinyl is probably on average 5-7 years. You really need to find an experienced installer to make sure the vehicle is cleaned. You can stretch the material easily well past it's starting dimensions but the probability of the vinyl pealing up goes up if you do not stretch it in the right areas...stretching the film near the edges is no good as it weakens the adhesive. I do not blame the shop for not wanting to wrap the mirrors as it is usually impossible to do most mirrors in one piece so you are left with a seam and some people do not like the idea of the seam regardless of how well it is executed. Where I work at, we do not discuss warranty as well because there are so many variables we have no control over (someone wrecks the car, drives behind a gravel truck, etc.). 3m's warranty is spelled out but they have tons of loop holes (temp, humidity, certified installer, etc.) that they put in place so that they can get out of a majority of warranty claims.

Last edited by papasmurf; 08-28-2013 at 01:55 PM.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #10

Old 08-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #11

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #12

Had no idea there was so much work and so many trick effects!

My request would probably be only for both trunks to be in a very,very slight variation of the rest of the car's color to accent some of the body line.

Saw this on the frunk and trunk on an Arctic Silver Box at my indy.(Hood was a subtle darker artificial carbon fiber image silver)Not too bad.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #13

Thank you papasmurf for the well writtened explanation.

As for madmods posts, which I didn't even read...I am sure they are pretty ridiculous as I have read other posts/threads that were. Thank you moderators for keeping this site clean and awesome!!!
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_c6 View Post

As for madmods posts, which I didn't even read...I am sure they are pretty ridiculous as I have read other posts/threads that were. Thank you moderators for keeping this site clean and awesome!!!
What rights do you have for posting like that? I have read madmods info on body wrap and it was very informative and precise. Compared with your intelligent contribution at least his helped me to make a sound decision about wrapping my boxter. You are a forum hater or very jealous of him?
TAKART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:09 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:

Actually we don't think madmods is being moderated - he's in China, and for some reason, after a period of time all of his posts are "self destructing" into a series of periods. I believe it frustrates madmods, as well as making all of his posts disappear unless someone quotes them within a day or so...

He seems to be a pretty decent fellow, don't jump to conclusions...
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #16

Quote:

Don't jump the gun and bash MadMods, he is very knowledgeable and sound on many of his posts. God knows what's happening to his posts but I'm sure they are in no way out of place.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #17

Garage
Strange, I'll try to ask the Admin if anything can be done regarding Madmod's posts.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #18

Garage
I think MadMods is either encrypting his posts, or trying to communicate in Morse Code?
Old 08-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #19

He's punishing ...
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKART View Post
What rights do you have for posting like that? I have read madmods info on body wrap and it was very informative and precise. Compared with your intelligent contribution at least his helped me to make a sound decision about wrapping my boxter. You are a forum hater or very jealous of him?
Good one takart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
Actually we don't think madmods is being moderated - he's in China, and for some reason, after a period of time all of his posts are "self destructing" into a series of periods. I believe it frustrates madmods, as well as making all of his posts disappear unless someone quotes them within a day or so...

He seems to be a pretty decent fellow, don't jump to conclusions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
Don't jump the gun and bash MadMods, he is very knowledgeable and sound on many of his posts. God knows what's happening to his posts but I'm sure they are in no way out of place.
Thank you for your concerns guys, but I do seem to remember that thread madmod started called the " Boxster, poor mans Porsche or inferiority complex." The title doesn't seem as bad as some of the contents he posted. Jump to conclusion? In 15+ years I have been in forums, I believe these types of threads/posts are called trolls:troll:

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote