Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #41

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 02:48 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #42

Garage
There's two kinds of drivers, image drivers and enthusiast drivers. I drive the car because it is so damn pleasurable and a blast. The handling is superb and I can't help but find myself with a $hit eating grin from the unavoidable mischief this car just evokes. With the Boxster I'd give a 996 a run for it's money on the track. To call the Boxster a poor man's porsche is somewhat daft; it's like calling a f430 a poor man's Ferrari because you don't have an Enzo... The Boxster didn't just get so many good critically acclaimed reviews for nothing .
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #43

Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
How many of you here lack of self-worth, a doubt and uncertainty, and feeling of not measuring up to modern car standards and trends being owner of the cheapest available Porsche?!

REF: "Inferiority complex": a person who feels inferior always comes up with powerful defense mechanisms that helps him hide his feelings of inferiority from others and even from himself.

Most of these defense mechanisms are launched by the subconscious mind and so the person never becomes aware of that fact that he is using these mechanisms to hide something.

I've been browsing 986forum.com for a few days while on holiday and found an alarming new wave of this kind of behavior. Triple increase of haters in less than 1.5 years, etc... I've read as bad as fellow 986 owners taking pleasure attacking another 986 owner for no apparent reason. It's all over the place and embarrassing.

What happen here? I'm asking the guys who were here back in 2010/11
I have 3 Porsches all of which are probably the cheapest way into a Porsche you can take. Boxster, 968' and 911 Sc. I'm not one bit ashamed of taking any one of those routes. All are great cars in their own way. And yet they are so different. 968 is bone stock, 911 sc is except for SsI's and losing the cat, Boxster not at all stock. Of course the Boxster is faster, but there are days when I prefer the 911. Mostly in cool weather. IVe grown accustomed to working AC. The 968 is a fabulous car which a lot of people don't get a 4 cylinder Porsche, with.the engine inthe wrong place, but the cars handling is pretty much on par with the Boxster and its a convertible , although not purpose built that way. I think id rather have a coupe, but it took several years to get it sorted out and all the Porsche bugs exterminated. Same with the SC. The 3.0 is n acclaimed as bullet proof, but only after you upgrade the tensionsers and air box seems all Porsches have issues. It's just there are more m96 owners than any other class of Porsche, and more failures as a result.

The fact that Porsche took a lot of short cuts with the m96 got them out of debt, into the black and and put us into a state of panic when first learning about IMS and d chunk failures doesn't make m96s bad cars. But if jake, Charles, and probably others I'm not familiar with had not come along with aftermarket solutions, the Boxster would not be on the list of affordable P-cars. There would be a ton more of them in junk yards Porsche was doing nothing to help
Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #45
Damn Yankee

Garage
It appears that madmods has apologized profusely for his recent posts. I suggest that we all look to our forgiving nature and move on now.

Just sayin'..................

TO

"Can't we all just get along?" Rodney King, after the LAPD beat the everlovin' crap outta him!
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #46

Garage
Boxster experience

With regard to owning/driving a Boxster....waited 40 years to buy my 1st Porsche. Was a no brainier decision....a 97 993 C4S, and it has been everything and more than I hoped for. Last month, picked up an plain old 2000 Boxster S, a Tip no less, for my daily driver (suffered a stroke recently and decided to sell my 06 Miata 6 speed for the Tip Boxster and ease of driving around town. 110 degrees common here in Phoenix and the Boxster a/c is tremendous. Not only that but even as a Tip it's a blast to drive!
I could care less what anyone else thinks...very pleased with both cars, when I feel the need to double clutch/heel and toe, the Carrera comes out but the Boxster fits the bill for my needs at this time. I can only imagine what a manual late model Boxster must feel like. Some day, I'll know. The MX-5 was a fine little car, however the Boxster is so much more! Love it.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #47
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Yeah, I'd like a 911, but in addition to my Boxster and not in replacement of it.

The extra HP in a 911 would go to waste on me, in all honesty. The (base) Boxster suits me just fine for how I drive. For what it is, the car pleases me and I enjoy the drives (will enjoy them more when I don't have to commute in it but can just drive for fun).

Generally when I see 911s in traffic they wave back. Boxsters? Not so much.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #48
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
^ Was this SCCA or the wine and cheese crowd (PCA )?
haha PL,

There are 3 National SCCA AX champions in that top 10. But they do still appreciate a little wine and cheese now and then.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #49
Rennzenn

Garage
Like it or not, this post has certainly attracted some attention and put a little zing into our forum. Maybe Madmods is the Andy Kaufman of 986forum!
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
^ Was this SCCA or the wine and cheese crowd (PCA )?

The museum and vineyard tours aren't my thing , but don't disrespect the pca drivers please mr perfect lap .
There are some pretty Frikin awesome pca drivers

The perfect lap on Saturday was 52:31 on his 3rd timed run .
His first timed run was 54:51 and his second was 54:40 .

Pretty impressive by ANYBODIES standard .
But bear in mind his slowest first timed run , which he improved on by over 2 seconds, would have netted him 3rd place

Ps : did you ever get your Lloyd's mats sorted out ?
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #51

Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #52

REALITY CHECK:

A two seat convertible sports car that starts at 60k is not a poor mans anything.
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #53

Old 08-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #54

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
REALITY CHECK:

A two seat convertible sports car that starts at 60k is not a poor mans anything.
Could not agree more!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post

The museum and vineyard tours aren't my thing , but don't disrespect the pca drivers please mr perfect lap .
There are some pretty Frikin awesome pca drivers

The perfect lap on Saturday was 52:31 on his 3rd timed run .
His first timed run was 54:51 and his second was 54:40 .

Pretty impressive by ANYBODIES standard .
But bear in mind his slowest first timed run , which he improved on by over 2 seconds, would have netted him 3rd place

Ps : did you ever get your Lloyd's mats sorted out ?
I am well aware that the same fast drivers run in SCCA, NASA, etc. as well as PCA.
But we all know that SCCA's times are far more competitive than PCA as a whole.
Around these parts we've had SCCA events where the top 7 times were separated by half a second (maybe less) if memory serves. Whereas a PCA event might have twice, or more, of that gap. I also recall one pair of SCCA drivers who consistently won or lost their class by 0.09 or less despite being completely different cars.

Other differences I've noted. PCA drivers will often show up wearing "driving shoes" and Porsche design button down shirts, whereas SCCA drivers will show up in old grungy sneakers, lots of stubble, a Tom Petty concert T-shirt, oil-stained jeans and will generally drive the wheels off whatever they can get into. Hence the wine and cheese referenfce.

p.s.
I still have those $100 red 987 matts that the vendor would not accept a refund for.
The online order form simply said Boxster matts with no clarification if they were for 987 or 986 but they insisted on charging restocking and shipping.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-21-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
yep understood - sincere apologies

thread is closed
you're not in control here!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #57

We just got back from a trip through the interior of BC - lots of great curvy roads. As I was pulling as much g as I dared in the corners, I often thought to myself (and remarked to my partner at least once): Thank God this isn't a 911, or we'd be in the ditch by now.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #58

Interesting thread...at least he is man enough to apologize!

Boxsters rule!!

How do I know? Look at the strong second hand market on these things! Yeah, price is low, but you need to think relatively. 97-02 SL500's are selling for the same price as an example, but they are twice the price when new.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #59

Garage
If having a Boxster vs: a 911 defines you, Then some self reflection is in order.
I do have to admit that when a new 911...something something with 16 tail pipes sticking out, the adhesive marks still on the window from the sales sticker.. (6 digits) - I contemplate if he/she looks down his nose at me
It still doesn't wipe the grin off my face while I drive my Boxster

A couple months back I was driving, top down, gorgeous sunny day. I slowly passed a very nice 911 something. Driver was a professional looking gentleman in his pin stripe, button down collar shirt.
I assumed he would not care about the Boxster sharing the highway. As I went by I reached to sky and gave him a Thumbs Up.
As he passed me at the next light , he gave a wave from within his air conditioned 911 something.
We bonded.
At least I like to think so
I like to think maybe he was a little envious of my top down starter P-car for a moment
Then the moment was gone

Last edited by kk2002s; 08-22-2013 at 05:57 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #60

Hell, for a year I hesitated to tell people I own a Porsche (Boxster), because I was uncomfortable with the fuss they made. "must be nice to be rich", "they're paying you too much" , etc.

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote