Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #1

Garage
air/oil separator AOS pipes

Hi - just putting on new AOS but broke pipe connected to mid point on AOS - got new one but cannot get it on! Seems because its rigid plastic (not flexible hose) it will be very hard to get new one in place of the old pipe. This goes through intake manifolds over top of engine. Has anyone ever achieved this or have any tips on how to do it please? I fear it might require intakes to be taken off but really don't want to do that - Please help (new member in UK Northampton)

DaveBBOXSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBBOXSTER View Post
Hi - just putting on new AOS but broke pipe connected to mid point on AOS - got new one but cannot get it on! Seems because its rigid plastic (not flexible hose) it will be very hard to get new one in place of the old pipe. This goes through intake manifolds over top of engine. Has anyone ever achieved this or have any tips on how to do it please? I fear it might require intakes to be taken off but really don't want to do that - Please help (new member in UK Northampton)
Start by removing the "T" center part of the intake manifold that the throttle body bolts to. This is not to difficult & gives you alot of room to work with.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #3

Garage
I have already got the throttle body centre T part out (is that what you mentioned?) but inserting the new pipe in and under then out of both intake manifolds as its all one long part is looking difficult - is there a good point / place to start inserting the new pipe? Thanks for reply
Old 08-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
pjq

2004 S - here's is what my AOS looks like. There is only 2 flexable plastic hoses that connect to it. If you want any other pic's for clarification let me know. I took lots when I took the engine apart.

Last edited by pjq; 08-18-2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: wrong photo
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
pjq

2004 S- Here is a partial stripped down view.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #6

that hose is going to be a serious pita to replace . good luck and take your time. when i replaced my aos i remember saying out loud to myself , Do not break that fitting.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #7

That is going to be a serious PITA indeed. They're mildly annoying when the engine is out of the car, and the manifolds are off, but man, doing it IN the car, I will pray for you
Old 08-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #8

Garage
Thanks to everyone for replies...I have looked at it for two days...Cannot figure out any way to get the old pipe out with the inlet manifolds in - OR GET THE NEW ONE IN! My 2000 2.7 has totally rigid pipe with flexible part at O/S end not like the photo - if it were I'd have it done now. Given up - put my bodged broken pipe back onto the AOS (I superglued it with an internal rubber hose that fitted for about 3 inches length) Trouble is the flow for these 3 inches is reduced to about 6-8mm diameter so was worried about vapour flow, etc. Got it all back and it works with no failed AOS cloud. I have wasted £45 on a pipe I cannot get in lol another example of poor design on a Boxster - add to that the coolant expansion tank layout (did that job too!) Why on earth aren't mid engine cars built like the old days - with a tiltable rear end so engine plus gearbox can be got at? The answer is; So Porsche can force owners to go to them. Still cannot moan the AA guy said "the engine is broken"
Old 08-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBBOXSTER View Post
Thanks to everyone for replies...I have looked at it for two days...Cannot figure out any way to get the old pipe out with the inlet manifolds in - OR GET THE NEW ONE IN! My 2000 2.7 has totally rigid pipe with flexible part at O/S end not like the photo - if it were I'd have it done now. Given up - put my bodged broken pipe back onto the AOS (I superglued it with an internal rubber hose that fitted for about 3 inches length) Trouble is the flow for these 3 inches is reduced to about 6-8mm diameter so was worried about vapour flow, etc. Got it all back and it works with no failed AOS cloud. I have wasted £45 on a pipe I cannot get in lol another example of poor design on a Boxster - add to that the coolant expansion tank layout (did that job too!) Why on earth aren't mid engine cars built like the old days - with a tiltable rear end so engine plus gearbox can be got at? The answer is; So Porsche can force owners to go to them. Still cannot moan the AA guy said "the engine is broken"
try to make a coupling . find some cooling hose that will fit and hose clamp it back together. In the boxster 101 book the author did that with the upper hose .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #10

Garage
Yes I was thinking yesterday of cutting the old hose midway under the throttle area and joing the old plus new hoses - but seems kind of wrong to have to do that with a brand new hose. I might (as you suggest) find a good flexible hose and fit it midway (or closer to the AOS end) with clamps and fit direct onto the AOS. Will not show at all and could work just as well - Going to have to keep that idea as PLAN B Thanks