Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,813
Garage
3.8 Replacement Motors

I am always on the hunt for another Porsche and I have noticed an alarming number of 2005 and 2006 Carrera S models with replaced engines. What is going-on with the 3.8L motor? Are the factory/dealer replacement engines better?
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
They lose cylinders horribly die to longitundinal bore scuffing. Big reason for it, called improper skirt clearance with a forged piston.

When I see people" upgrading" to an OEM 3.8 I just shake my head.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
pk2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tustin Ca.
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
They lose cylinders horribly die to longitundinal bore scuffing. Big reason for it, called improper skirt clearance with a forged piston.

When I see people" upgrading" to an OEM 3.8 I just shake my head.
Whats your take on an 02 3.6 Carrera upgrade.

Regards, pk
__________________
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/163...58x6ir4.th.jpg
99 Supercharged 2.5L
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2 View Post
Whats your take on an 02 3.6 Carrera upgrade.

Regards, pk
Upgrade? The 02-05 engines have the worst issues of all.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,916
I was just reading on another forum where the 997 guys were referring to 2000 rpm as the "bore-scoring" zone. any truth to this? apply to us m96 guys too?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
pk2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tustin Ca.
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
Upgrade? The 02-05 engines have the worst issues of all.
Like what?
__________________
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/163...58x6ir4.th.jpg
99 Supercharged 2.5L
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
pk2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tustin Ca.
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
I was just reading on another forum where the 997 guys were referring to 2000 rpm as the "bore-scoring" zone. any truth to this? apply to us m96 guys too?
How sloppy are these things that you get piston slap (scoring) at 2k. Is this a case where you hear about the 1% of disasters LOUD and all the other happy drivers are mum?


Regards, PK
__________________
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/163...58x6ir4.th.jpg
99 Supercharged 2.5L

Last edited by pk2; 08-20-2013 at 08:25 AM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,813
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
Upgrade? The 02-05 engines have the worst issues of all.
Hmmm... Making me think more about a Metzger motor car.
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
I was just reading on another forum where the 997 guys were referring to 2000 rpm as the "bore-scoring" zone. any truth to this? apply to us m96 guys too?
An M97 is just an M96 with a different name.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Socal
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
An M97 is just an M96 with a different name.
So the m97.70r and the m96.05 are just different numbers , right jake ???
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,916
another reason to keep the revs up.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Socal
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
another reason to keep the revs up.
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
add stroke and put a shorter connecting rod with the combination. No way to better wipe out cylinders than adding rod angle!

Then, add a larger bore and multiply the issues. Yeah.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,916
that makes sense. interesting read here too:

Bore scoring on refurbished engine - PistonHeads

where they suggest piston and cylinder coating changes may also play a role. they also state that low rpm, high torque situations are the culprit (situations facilitated by improvements to variocam, and another reason why forced induction cars have such finite lifetimes); I presume your increased displacement builds offset potential damage from increased rod angle by using improved linings?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:40 AM   #15
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
that makes sense. interesting read here too:

Bore scoring on refurbished engine - PistonHeads

where they suggest piston and cylinder coating changes may also play a role. they also state that low rpm, high torque situations are the culprit (situations facilitated by improvements to variocam, and another reason why forced induction cars have such finite lifetimes); I presume your increased displacement builds offset potential damage from increased rod angle by using improved linings?
Our exclusive use of Nikisil plating in all engines eliminates cylinder scoring and accelerated wear. This is not a coating, like others, it is a very hard, wear resistant, friction resistant plating process that couples Nickel, Silicon and Carbide into one super durable wear surface.

This is not new, Porsche has utilized it for decades with all the engines that do not fail, the ones without radiators and even the Mezger based GT3 and TT engine use it, along with the Cayenne TT engines.

Its just expensive.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
pk2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tustin Ca.
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
add stroke and put a shorter connecting rod with the combination. No way to better wipe out cylinders than adding rod angle!

Then, add a larger bore and multiply the issues. Yeah.
Are you saying that is what was done for the stock 2002 3.6l Carrrea motor? Do they all fail?

Regards, PK
__________________
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/163...58x6ir4.th.jpg
99 Supercharged 2.5L

Last edited by pk2; 08-20-2013 at 08:36 AM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 2,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
Our exclusive use of Nikisil plating in all engines eliminates cylinder scoring and accelerated wear. This is not a coating, like others, it is a very hard, wear resistant, friction resistant plating process that couples Nickel, Silicon and Carbide into one super durable wear surface.
A request for clarification... Are you quoting someone, Jake, or are you claiming exclusive use of Nikisil?
__________________
'99 black 986
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #18
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,916
or, he only uses nikasil in his engines. ie, he uses it exclusively. the other interpretation seems off, as anyone can have there cyls lined with nikasil from lne.

of course, I am neither jake nor do I speak for him, but I am an honorary cadet with the grammar police.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
pk2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tustin Ca.
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
or, he only uses nikasil in his engines. ie, he uses it exclusively. the other interpretation seems off, as anyone can have there cyls lined with nikasil from lne.

of course, I am neither jake nor do I speak for him, but I am an honorary cadet with the grammar police.
OMG Please don't proof my posts, I'm dyslexic as all _ell.

Guess the question remains, are these early 3.6s crap?

Best regards, pk
__________________
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/163...58x6ir4.th.jpg
99 Supercharged 2.5L
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2 View Post
OMG Please don't proof my posts, I'm dyslexic as all _ell.

Guess the question remains, are these early 3.6s crap?

Best regards, pk
Porsche needed to make a profit. They're over-building of engines days nearly put them into bankruptcy. The early water-cooled would have been decent engines if you removed the Porsche premium and priced them like the short-cutted engines they all are.

If I had to do it again, I probably would have put my Boxster money towards a 996 GT3 (once depreciation set in of course).
At end of the day, the monetary value of a Porsche comes almost entirely from its engine. But I'd still need to Boxster/roadster which the GT3 will never be. But as a powerful, good for the long-haul, converted grand touring? it has its merits.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-21-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page