Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #1

Garage
anyone having problems with michelin?

Just had a rear Michelin with less than 4K blow out on the interstate last night and had to limp home on the donut. Yes the air pressure was just checked on Monday and no I did not hit anything. Just 10 miles down the interstate running about 70 MPH. Not worth even going to a dealer since 3 out of the 4 in the last set I bought went bad within 3 months and Michelin would not stand good for them. In 40 years that I used Michelin tires they have never taken responsibility for a bad tire. Always get the shuffle, dealer refers you to Michelin and they refer you back to the dealer, and it is never their fault. Anyone else have problems with them?

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 AM   #2

No and frankly, if 3 out of 4 of the last set you purcahsed went bad within 3 months, why did you buy another set? Which Michelins do you have? I have 255/40 ZR 17 Michelin Pilot Sport + on the rear, have put 12,000 miles on them and have had no problems and minimal signs of wear.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
jakesbox

Find a good shop for your next set to replace your tires with a warranty. My shop that just did mine gives a lifetime warranty. If the tire blows out or goes bad and they cant fix it REGARDLESS OF MAKER, they replace at their cost. I dont buy the high end stuff as I think - these arent gt3 cars, they are boxsters - so something with good tread life that looks good is what I want. Hankooks on my last boxster were fantastic. The shop I went to looked up the size and made some calls on the new boxster and Hankook stopped making that size. they told me they could get 4 right now but if I had a blow out there is no guarantee they could find a replacement that would match so I went with Toyo and so far they are great. Did 105 on the hwy this past weekend and no issues what so ever.

A good shop with a shop warranty is the way to go...IMO
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #4

I've had a set of michelin pilot sport a/s plus on the car for five seasons, 35000 km. Never a spot of trouble and they still have lots of tread left. I have noticed this year that the grip is going away so I will probably replace them for next season.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #5

Michelin street rubber has never lasted for me. Even on my bikes. Granted, I have not run them in years.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
No and frankly, if 3 out of 4 of the last set you purcahsed went bad within 3 months, why did you buy another set? Which Michelins do you have? I have 255/40 ZR 17 Michelin Pilot Sport + on the rear, have put 12,000 miles on them and have had no problems and minimal signs of wear.

Brad
Already had bought this set when the last group went bad. They are pilot sport 2's, Going to hankook on everything. Never had a problem with them
Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
Find a good shop for your next set to replace your tires with a warranty. My shop that just did mine gives a lifetime warranty. If the tire blows out or goes bad and they cant fix it REGARDLESS OF MAKER, they replace at their cost. I dont buy the high end stuff as I think - these arent gt3 cars, they are boxsters - so something with good tread life that looks good is what I want. Hankooks on my last boxster were fantastic. The shop I went to looked up the size and made some calls on the new boxster and Hankook stopped making that size. they told me they could get 4 right now but if I had a blow out there is no guarantee they could find a replacement that would match so I went with Toyo and so far they are great. Did 105 on the hwy this past weekend and no issues what so ever.

It's insurance. You pay extra for that, whether you know it or not.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #8

In 2010 I had a set of Michelins go bad on me. I too got the run around. I finally put pin to paper (actually hit the keyboard) and wrote the CEO of Michelin a letter and sent it to the below three addresses. Within two weeks my issue was resolved.

In May 2012 Jean-Dominique Senard became the new CEO.

Michelin Tires
Customer Care Department
Post Office Box 19001
Greenville, SC 29650

Jean-Dominique Senard, CEO
Michelin Tires
Place des Carmes Déchaux
63040 Clermont-Ferrand Cedex 9
France

Jean-Dominique Senard, CEO
Michelin Tires
2 Patewood Dr
Greenville, SC 29615

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Already had bought this set when the last group went bad. They are pilot sport 2's, Going to hankook on everything. Never had a problem with them
Dump the european manufacturer thats Porsche approved, invented the radial tire, & been in business over 100 years. Go with a Korean company that's been selling tires in the US for 8 years, because something punctured your tire & you drove on it till it deflated enough to tear it apart. Makes sense to me.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
Vista glass

Garage
Sorry to hear you got a bad set of tires. Hopefully someone will address that issue fairly. I have not had any problems with the Michelins pilot sports on the box, or the sets I have run on other vehicles, f150 work vehicles,Volvos for the kids, my wifes Edge and Lexus. I usually buy the warranty and it has paid off over the long term. Like most forums, members rarely report the no problems, or good service , but since you asked. No problems and good service here.
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #11

What was the cause for the blowouts then?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #12

Garage
There was no obvious cause, because the tire was shredded. I searched the tread for a puncture and did not find anything. I bought Michelins for everything I drove for 40 years, from cars to trucks, motorhomes, etc. I average about 3 sets of tires a year. Do the math and you can imagine what I have spent for Michelins. When I have had a problem, Michelin has Never, not once made it good. No matter their history, they have lost a customer. As for the Hankooks, They hold just as good, wet or dry, last longer and are half the price.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #13

A lot of people like Michelins, but we are not fans. Too many unresolved problems, sometimes involving tires that have less than 100 miles on them, Michelin refused to do anything. For that kind of money, the support really is appalling.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
It's insurance. You pay extra for that, whether you know it or not.
I'm good with that...insurance is peace of mind.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

I've had great experience with Michelin running Diamaris on my X5 and PS2's during my early years of Boxster ownership.

I've also had great experience with Hanook running R-S3's on my Boxster, Mini S, and 996.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #16
Track rat

Garage
I have run through about 30 sets of Michelin tires on various cars I have owned and never had a quality issue with them. I am equally satisfied with my Hankook street tires at 40% less $$. There are a lot of really good tires available now and Michelin no longer warrants the premium price they once did. YMMV
Old 08-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I love my Hankook Ventus V-12"s. IMHO...Best Bang for the Buck!
2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
I can't disagree. I always buy the road hazard. It's paid off about 50% of the time I've bought it. I even got a replacement due to vandalism once because I was a repeat customer. Nice thing is, there is no need to go to the manufacturer for any type of warranty claim. It's all handled internally.