986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   anyone having problems with michelin? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47767-anyone-having-problems-michelin.html)

mountainman 08-15-2013 03:55 AM

anyone having problems with michelin?

Just had a rear Michelin with less than 4K blow out on the interstate last night and had to limp home on the donut. Yes the air pressure was just checked on Monday and no I did not hit anything. Just 10 miles down the interstate running about 70 MPH. Not worth even going to a dealer since 3 out of the 4 in the last set I bought went bad within 3 months and Michelin would not stand good for them. In 40 years that I used Michelin tires they have never taken responsibility for a bad tire. Always get the shuffle, dealer refers you to Michelin and they refer you back to the dealer, and it is never their fault. Anyone else have problems with them?

southernstar 08-15-2013 04:08 AM

No and frankly, if 3 out of 4 of the last set you purcahsed went bad within 3 months, why did you buy another set? Which Michelins do you have? I have 255/40 ZR 17 Michelin Pilot Sport + on the rear, have put 12,000 miles on them and have had no problems and minimal signs of wear.

Brad

trimer 08-15-2013 05:32 AM

Find a good shop for your next set to replace your tires with a warranty. My shop that just did mine gives a lifetime warranty. If the tire blows out or goes bad and they cant fix it REGARDLESS OF MAKER, they replace at their cost. I dont buy the high end stuff as I think - these arent gt3 cars, they are boxsters - so something with good tread life that looks good is what I want. Hankooks on my last boxster were fantastic. The shop I went to looked up the size and made some calls on the new boxster and Hankook stopped making that size. they told me they could get 4 right now but if I had a blow out there is no guarantee they could find a replacement that would match so I went with Toyo and so far they are great. Did 105 on the hwy this past weekend and no issues what so ever.

A good shop with a shop warranty is the way to go...IMO

Mark_T 08-15-2013 07:00 AM

I've had a set of michelin pilot sport a/s plus on the car for five seasons, 35000 km. Never a spot of trouble and they still have lots of tread left. I have noticed this year that the grip is going away so I will probably replace them for next season.

Perfectlap 08-15-2013 07:19 AM

Michelin street rubber has never lasted for me. Even on my bikes. Granted, I have not run them in years.

mountainman 08-15-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernstar (Post 357481)
No and frankly, if 3 out of 4 of the last set you purcahsed went bad within 3 months, why did you buy another set? Which Michelins do you have? I have 255/40 ZR 17 Michelin Pilot Sport + on the rear, have put 12,000 miles on them and have had no problems and minimal signs of wear.

Brad

Already had bought this set when the last group went bad. They are pilot sport 2's, Going to hankook on everything. Never had a problem with them

BYprodriver 08-15-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 357490)
Find a good shop for your next set to replace your tires with a warranty. My shop that just did mine gives a lifetime warranty. If the tire blows out or goes bad and they cant fix it REGARDLESS OF MAKER, they replace at their cost. I dont buy the high end stuff as I think - these arent gt3 cars, they are boxsters - so something with good tread life that looks good is what I want. Hankooks on my last boxster were fantastic. The shop I went to looked up the size and made some calls on the new boxster and Hankook stopped making that size. they told me they could get 4 right now but if I had a blow out there is no guarantee they could find a replacement that would match so I went with Toyo and so far they are great. Did 105 on the hwy this past weekend and no issues what so ever.

It's insurance. You pay extra for that, whether you know it or not.

Chuck W. 08-15-2013 07:56 AM

In 2010 I had a set of Michelins go bad on me. I too got the run around. I finally put pin to paper (actually hit the keyboard) and wrote the CEO of Michelin a letter and sent it to the below three addresses. Within two weeks my issue was resolved.

In May 2012 Jean-Dominique Senard became the new CEO.

Michelin Tires
Customer Care Department
Post Office Box 19001
Greenville, SC 29650

Jean-Dominique Senard, CEO
Michelin Tires
Place des Carmes Déchaux
63040 Clermont-Ferrand Cedex 9
France

Jean-Dominique Senard, CEO
Michelin Tires
2 Patewood Dr
Greenville, SC 29615

BYprodriver 08-15-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 357508)
Already had bought this set when the last group went bad. They are pilot sport 2's, Going to hankook on everything. Never had a problem with them

Dump the european manufacturer thats Porsche approved, invented the radial tire, & been in business over 100 years. Go with a Korean company that's been selling tires in the US for 8 years, because something punctured your tire & you drove on it till it deflated enough to tear it apart. Makes sense to me.

Vista glass 08-15-2013 08:30 AM

Sorry to hear you got a bad set of tires. Hopefully someone will address that issue fairly. I have not had any problems with the Michelins pilot sports on the box, or the sets I have run on other vehicles, f150 work vehicles,Volvos for the kids, my wifes Edge and Lexus. I usually buy the warranty and it has paid off over the long term. Like most forums, members rarely report the no problems, or good service , but since you asked. No problems and good service here.

ekam 08-15-2013 09:17 AM

What was the cause for the blowouts then?

mountainman 08-15-2013 09:59 AM

There was no obvious cause, because the tire was shredded. I searched the tread for a puncture and did not find anything. I bought Michelins for everything I drove for 40 years, from cars to trucks, motorhomes, etc. I average about 3 sets of tires a year. Do the math and you can imagine what I have spent for Michelins. When I have had a problem, Michelin has Never, not once made it good. No matter their history, they have lost a customer. As for the Hankooks, They hold just as good, wet or dry, last longer and are half the price.

JFP in PA 08-15-2013 10:25 AM

A lot of people like Michelins, but we are not fans. Too many unresolved problems, sometimes involving tires that have less than 100 miles on them, Michelin refused to do anything. For that kind of money, the support really is appalling.

trimer 08-15-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 357511)
It's insurance. You pay extra for that, whether you know it or not.

I'm good with that...insurance is peace of mind.

thstone 08-15-2013 11:48 AM

I've had great experience with Michelin running Diamaris on my X5 and PS2's during my early years of Boxster ownership.

I've also had great experience with Hanook running R-S3's on my Boxster, Mini S, and 996.

Topless 08-15-2013 04:03 PM

I have run through about 30 sets of Michelin tires on various cars I have owned and never had a quality issue with them. I am equally satisfied with my Hankook street tires at 40% less $$. There are a lot of really good tires available now and Michelin no longer warrants the premium price they once did. YMMV

V-Rod 08-15-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 357508)

I love my Hankook Ventus V-12"s. IMHO...Best Bang for the Buck!

AKnowles 08-15-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 357490)

I can't disagree. I always buy the road hazard. It's paid off about 50% of the time I've bought it. I even got a replacement due to vandalism once because I was a repeat customer. Nice thing is, there is no need to go to the manufacturer for any type of warranty claim. It's all handled internally.