Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #21

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 03:28 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #22

Gee, how about...oh let's see........Lock You Car!

This issue has been common since the economy tanked, just walk down the block looking for easy pickings.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #23

I'm president of my neighborhood association. We found that the best thing to do is inform all the neighbors and make sure that they contact the police whenever something like this happens. Most police departments have a non-emergency number, so you don't need to tie up your 911 emergency service reporting petty crimes.

The police (at least those in our area) track crimes and target their patrols to the patterns shown by their data. In our cases, the police have caught the kids sooner or later.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #24

Police could give a rat's ass about your poor little Porsche getting broken into. *takes out the world's smallest violin*

My previous car was broken into once while I witnessed them stealing everything inside. I called the cops while it was in progress and they came 45 mins later since it's non-emergency. I lost my car stereo and everything in the car and all they did was opened up a case and I never heard from them again.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Police could give a rat's ass about your poor little Porsche getting broken into. *takes out the world's smallest violin*

My previous car was broken into once while I witnessed them stealing everything inside. I called the cops while it was in progress and they came 45 mins later since it's non-emergency. I lost my car stereo and everything in the car and all they did was opened up a case and I never heard from them again.
You just watched???

You must have needed a new stereo from the insurance.

Did you at least video it?

Slingshots, bow/arrow etc can still be had in TO.

Theres not as many police in Canada as the US so of course they are a waste of time only good for writing notes for the insurance claim long after the crime has occured.

You should always tell the cops that the bandits are armed if you expect prompt and aggressive service, and then the chances are better that if the bandits are confronted they may get shot in the process of being caught.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 08-13-2013 at 06:30 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #26
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
Gee, how about...oh let's see........Lock You Car!

This issue has been common since the economy tanked, just walk down the block looking for easy pickings.
Yep. Instead of losing some spare change and that coveted Steve Winwood cd, they'll just cut a hole in your top
They best option for avoiding neighborhood thieves is to park in a garage!
Game camera and lights would be better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
Oops forgot. Yea give him a FREE camera with auto-flash and that should be it...
Lock the camera box
Old 08-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #27

Garage
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yep. Instead of losing some spare change and that coveted Steve Winwood cd, they'll just cut a hole in your top
They best option for avoiding neighborhood thieves is to park in a garage!
Game camera and lights would be better than nothing.

Lock the camera box
Not True. Most petty thieves of this sort are just looking for open cars.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #29
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I wish I could agree

I keep the boxster garaged, but my dd stays unlocked in the driveway with nothing of value inside. I've had it for over 10 years and have replaced 3 windows from 3 separate incidents in that time. Got tired of replacing them

A thief would probably not cut the top to rifle through your stuff, but breaking a window takes about 0.5 seconds
Old 08-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #30

You need to move to a different neighborhood then!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #31
Custom User Title Here

Garage
3 different cities in 3 different states...no kidding. Also have had 2 different home break-ins in that time
Maybe I just have bad luck

I ordered some cheap surveillance cameras from china last week(home and auto).
Thieves suck.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #32

Game camera on the way.

Small driveway/small garage at my place so nightly garaging is not convenient and I am reluctant to change my behavior for a bored teenager.

Fortunately my thief is not destructive and seems to be just going around the neighborhood looking for unlocked cars. Only a matter of time before he ups the ante though. The faceplate around my wifes stereo did appear tampered with.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #33

We've had lots of vandalism this summer while the kids are off school in our alley.

My neighbors all have nice "two car" garages filled with useless crap while their very expensive cars sit outside. All the while, they know our neighborhood is a target for theives... I shake my head and mumble to myself about what idiots they must be.

Now I understand some folks don't have garages and can't lock up their vehicles. But if that was me I'd probably not own a nice car. When I had nice cars and I lived in apartments, I was hit repeatedly. Now I'm older and smarter.

And here in Texas, shooting/or shooting at a theif (warning shots) will not cause one to be arrested as long as the theif is on or in his property. About once a month, I see reports on TV stating someone has shot an intruder/theif and they're always given a hall pass and a smile from the grand jury. Our prisons, while the biggest in the country, are also overpopulated.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-13-2013 at 01:53 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Head View Post

Heck yeah! Two, please!