Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #1

Garage
Anyone using the 2nd generation aftermarket LED headlights?

Have any of you installed the 2nd gen LED headlights? They apparently address some of the shortcomings of the original version. If anyone has them, I'd appreciate any feedback on your experience (I'm thinking about getting the chrome ones). Thanks.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I was under the impression that they were never released...?
Old 08-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #3

Garage
I think the black ones were released about two months ago... ?
Old 08-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #4

Yeah, I have them.
Other than the price increase, I don't really know the difference.
Fit and finish is decent, but I still don't like the cheap foam weather strip that sits between the housing and the fender.

It's not a daily driver, so I can't really comment on the beam pattern as it still doesn't get dark until 9pm here in the south.

Was it worth the price....that's debatable. Definitely gives the front end a refresh and shaves a few years off the car. IMHO, price should really be around $450-500. I bought a similar set for my 2004 Mazdaspeed MX5 for around $300. At that price I could live with the aftermarket quality. On the Porsche, not so much.
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

Garage
Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback; appreciate it.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #6

I've posted this before, but here's the pic again. I'll try to take a "full frontal" at some point.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376222886.013490.jpg
Views: 8220
Size:  86.8 KB
Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #7

I've had both. I currently have the new 2nd generation installed. I was one of the first to get the black 1st generation, and am the first to get the 2nd generation in the US. The distributor I bought from was nice enough to warranty my 1st pair.

I love these lights. To me, they look amazing. I've put HID bulbs inside the projectors, and they command a whole different aura than what the car originally had. It much updates the look.

The first generation had a few faults. My lens cracked up, and one of the pegs broke off. The fog lights also had a tendency to melt the whole housing. Nothing too major, the light did what it was supposed to do.

The second generation uses a different material for the lens, which say it prevents cracking. It stood up to Arizona's 120F summers better than its predecessors did, that's for sure. It also came with 27W H7 bulbs for the fogs. The lower wattage should keep your housings from melting. I've replaced them with HIDs anyways, so it wasn't a big deal. The LEDs around the projector are also bulkier for the 2nd generation.

I can't really say much since I paid $700 shipped for them, but I am very happy with the lights. It gives the 986 a unique look- Porsche bug-eyes with Audi-like LED eye liner.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Need For Speed

Garage
Does your car have to have the Litronic lights in order to use these?
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #9

No. I had the ugly orange amber before. Plug and play
Old 08-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Need For Speed

Garage
Where can these be purchased from? I looked on eBay and saw some for around $3g. That's way too much for these, heck I bought my whole car for $13g.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #11

Garage
Porsche 986 Boxster 996 MK1 LED DRL Chrome Projector Headlights USA INSTOCK | eBay

I would love to get rid of my amber but this just seems too much for aftermarket lights.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Need For Speed

Garage
Buy It Now $2,995.00 plus $95.00 for shipping.

Porsche 986 Boxster 996 MK1 Chrome LED DRL Projector Headlights | eBay
Old 08-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #13

I would contact Jeff at xtreme motorsports and order them direct; they should be approx $899 for the pair (his contact info is in another thread). I was one if the first 10 to receive the 2nd gen, and for me, it wasn't exactly plug and play. I had a difficult time locking in the rt side light. When I contacted the vendor, they mentioned they've seen this before and suggested I take a dremmel tool and remove some of the plastic on the locking area! I did this, and it helped slightly, but it still would not fully lock into place. I don't think they ever suggested sending me a new pair.

Even with this "fix", the light would still not fully engage with the harness and I could not keep power to the lamp. I finally had to cut out the plastic holder for the harness and plug it in manually. Even after that, I had to fashion a small bracket to hold down the lamp in place underneath the frunk weather strip panel.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
I would contact Jeff at xtreme motorsports and order them direct; they should be approx $899 for the pair (his contact info is in another thread). I was one if the first 10 to receive the 2nd gen, and for me, it wasn't exactly plug and play. I had a difficult time locking in the rt side light. When I contacted the vendor, they mentioned they've seen this before and suggested I take a dremmel tool and remove some of the plastic on the locking area! I did this, and it helped slightly, but it still would not fully lock into place. I don't think they ever suggested sending me a new pair.

Even with this "fix", the light would still not fully engage with the harness and I could not keep power to the lamp. I finally had to cut out the plastic holder for the harness and plug it in manually. Even after that, I had to fashion a small bracket to hold down the lamp in place underneath the frunk weather strip panel.
More info on a way to contact "Jeff at xtreme motorsports" would be nice. I did a search for "xtreme motorsports" on the forums and came up with only this thread.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #15

Garage
Jeff's email is jezzsb@aol.com

They're getting in a supply of the 2nd gen chrome/silver LED headlights later this month, and he's taking orders right now.

Last edited by kjc2050; 08-11-2013 at 12:25 PM.
kjc2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #16

He is actually the person who sourced my headlights, front bumper, and OEM LED drls.

Very personable, he warrantied my first set when they cracked.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Jeff's email is jezzsb@aol.com

They're getting in a supply of the 2nd gen chrome/silver LED headlights later this month, and he's taking orders right now.
Much appreciated, thank you.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Cost me $500 plus some elbow grease...just sayin
It can take some patience to find decent clear headlights for a reasonable price, but it can be done. I paid $300 for these on eBay and about $200 for the projector kit.

Last edited by particlewave; 08-11-2013 at 05:20 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote