Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #21

These older boxsters can become very very expensive to own long term. I bought a 97 that didn't have motor problems (that was the last owner's problem and what probably forced him to sell it after he replaced the motor), but it had transmission problems and a bunch of other small issues.

Even if the car doesn't have a lot of miles on it, it has age on it.

Unless you have a nice flow of cash to keep putting into this car after this repair and you're not going to lose sleep over the fact that it's going to (possibly) cost you 2000 euros a year for the first 3-4 years, you may want to sell it and buy a more reliable sports car.

Sorry to say this to you, but I sure wish someone had said the same to me. I dumped $20,000 USD into my 1997 model in the first 4 years of ownership, and it arrived with a new motor in it! So I had a car worth no more than $13,000 and I had $30,000 in the car. Ugh!

Had I sold the car at auction the second I knew it needed a lot of repairs, I could have gotten out of the car for a thousand dollars less and taken the money and saved up for a much newer example with low miles, warranty left on it, a bigger S model motor, a glass rear window, etc.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #22

RandallNeighbour, I see your point. I barely even enjoyed the car, and it's already in the workshop. But I'm willing to try it for a couple of years, this is if I can support it. At least I hope in a couple of years be able to step up to the 3.2.

I have news from the Porsche workshop. The actuator is fine, but the 1-3 bank did skipped a tooth. They told me they found excessive wear on camshaft sprockets, and that the skipping bent 2 valves on the first cylinder. They told me the crankshaft is ok, but I don't really know if they've checked the IMS bearing They told me that the skipped tooth was caused by worn out tensioner blades, and they're trying to give me a budget of everything that's needed with the option of installing second hand camshafts (each one new costs about 1000 euros, so they're hoping they can keep the cost down with two used ones). I've asked if there was any more damage, and they've told me that it was it, so I'm just waiting for the final price of the repair to go for it. I'd want to replace the IMS and the rear main seal, as the engine is out on the bench, but I don't know how much it would cost me. I don't think I can go up to 4k right now. :-/

Last edited by urban; 08-21-2013 at 04:27 PM.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote