Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #1

Hmm, another bad MAF?

For just a bit of history, I let my wife drive my car while I was out on training. It poped a cell. P1351 code. Camshaft Adjustment Bank 1. I cleared the code and drove it for a coupld of days with no return code. Then one I drove off to dinner and the car stuttered (seemed to lose power/spark, etc.) for just about 1 second then was back on full bore. Right after dinner, I went to start the car and it would not start. Would turn the engine, fire quickly, but just after it hit the 1000 RPM mark would drop back to 0. I had a tow. When I got home, it started fine.

I managed to connect my PST2 to it today. P1351 and P0102 codes. Cleared the codes. Fired it up. Ran the camshaft actuator test and both made a noticable difference in idle. Both appeare to have the same characteristics. Checked the cam shaft deviation. Same as always (since I got the car) 0 on bank 1 and -6 on bank 2.

Still have a P0102 code. If I clear it, it comes back. The Hot Film MAF setting provided a voltage of 1.01 to 1.03. Seems low from my searchs. Question is, bad MAF and just replace it? Or shoot for other issues?

I've considered the possibility it could be a bad Crank Positioning Sensor as a lot of MY99 seem to have this issue and characteristic stutter and hot start issue. Considered a bad fuel pump and clogged fuel filter. But all of this occured before I pulled the codes. Now that I have pulled the codes I wonder if I should just start with a MAF replacement or cleaning?

Thanks for any insight you can offer ...

Old 08-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

Garage
IMO, P0102 is almost always a clear indication of a bad maf sensor.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Clear codes. Disconnect the MAF. Drive. CEL/Code? No, then the likely cause is the MAF. Yes, then not the MAF. Easy, breezy.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

thstone, well I unplugged the MAF. Drove to work. Drove home. No joy. Still had the P0102 code. Plus I had a P0112 code. This was before I plugged in the MAF again.

Considering the P0102 error is a below value limit it actually makes sense I'd still have that code since without plugging in the MAF the volatage is 0 and I was getting 1.01 to 1.03. But from what I could tell this is a low value. So, just for the heck of it, I'll clean the MAF but I expect I'll be buying a replacement from Pelican Parts real soon.

Thanks for the idea though.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #5

If yours has the "D" shaped connector I've got one sitting around that I bought by mistake. It's one of the low-cost ebay items. I'd be willing to mail it to you risk-free.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #6

Wret, I'll take a pic of the connector and make sure it is the same one. I appreciate the help!