Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #1

More speaker upgrade questions

Just recently got a new Pioneer DEH-8400BT head unit and want to go ahead and complete my audio project. There seems to be a lot of creative options for the boxster that I've looked at. I want high quality low hitting bass.

So here's the plan:
1. Upgrade the 4" and 1" dash speakers with a set from Powerbass and have the oem 4x40w amp running to them.

2.Upgrade the door speakers (this is where it gets sticky). I'm contemplating on whether to replace the door speakers with a coaxial set or some cheap 8" subs.

(2A) If I run the coaxials then they will run off the oem amp and I want to install a 6.5" subwoofer, with it's own amp, in the center console like shown here:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/28813-fresh-take-subwoofer-locations.html

(2B) If I run the 8" subs then they will be powered by an aftermarket amp and I will install rear coaxials powered by the oem amps remaining 2 channels.

All in all I want to know which option will give me the best bass? Decent 8" subwoofers in the doors with moderate power, or one 6.5" at full power.
I plan on using the JL 6w3v3-4 unless there is a better option for low frequency bass.

Let's here your great ideas!
Thanks in advanced

samrwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #2

Have a look at cdt drivers and mosconi and jl audio amps ...

I'm kinda big into car audio , and I'm currently fitting out Debbie's beetle with a system .
The cdt 6.5" comps have had great success with in the past .
They can hit pretty low and In a stock boxster with the roof up I'd say you can go without a sub and get great sq .
At speed , with the roof down , and aftermarket exhaust , you may need some help with the bass ...
I have no idea on this .

The mosconi amp I am using for he front two channels is a neat amp with a TINY footprint . Should be ideal in a boxster .

Likewise the jl mono amp running the bass .

I normally fit the front stage first and tune that without a sub .
Depending on the install and system fitted you may not even need a sub depending on the type of music you listen to .

I never planned on fitting a sub into her beetle as I know the cdt comps I was fitting would be more than adequate for the type of music she listens to ( rock and punk) and the levels she listens at ( pretty damn loud) , but then I got a stocking deal on a top of the line cdt sq sub , so I decided it was too good to pass up and ordered it from them

I'll post a link to a thread I have somewhere online where I am making the carbon fibre sub enclosure if you like ?

My advice to you is :
Forget about the idea of coax speakers in the door ..
A good install can make cheaper gear sound good and a bad install can make expensive gear sound bad ... Budget for isolation , fabrication , and sound deadening . It makes a HUGE difference
And go join a car audio forum .
And go listen to a few local guys systems .

There are basically two types of car audio ..
SQ = sound quality ( like a good home hifi system)
SPL = sound pressure level ( like a niteklub system)
BUT ....... SQ doesnt need to be quiet

Go listen to a few installs and make sure you know exactly what you want , then ask the guys for ideas .
Most ice guys are just like car guys and will love you help you out
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #3

I listen to a lot of Dubstep mash ups and techno like music. some hip hop and rock too. so go responsive bass is important to me so I would like to include a sub in the set up.

Why are coax speakers in the door not a good idea?

I have listened to quite a few systems, I've just never heard a 6.5" subwoofer or how it compares to two 8" subswoofers.

As for the carbon fiber enclosure, I am trying to stay on a budget, is fiberglass possible? I might be interested if its affordable
Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #4

How about a discreet subwoofer install like this:

Vehicle Design by Alexander Sekirash at Coroflot.com

I have the OEM 5" door subs which work well when you replace the OEM amp. The bass is pretty impressive - or embarrassing in town where I quickly turn it down.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
How about a discreet subwoofer install like this:

Vehicle Design by Alexander Sekirash at Coroflot.com

I have the OEM 5" door subs which work well when you replace the OEM amp. The bass is pretty impressive - or embarrassing in town where I quickly turn it down.
I was considering a sub between the seats but that would mean I have to make a custom fiberglass enclosure and it starts to get pricey there.

The oem speakers are pretty embarrassing haha
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #6

Fibreglass is cheap .
The box I'm building is mdf with a fibreglass rear .
The carbon is just the outer couple of skins .
Here's the thread for an idea how to do it .
There is a false-start in there , and its not been updated for a while as I have t been working on it lately , but you'll get the idea of how easy it is

My stereo install - NewBeetle.org Forums

Another way is to make your structure with mdf , then stretch cloth or fleece over it and impregnate with resin . This gives a sculptured look to the front of the box .

Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #7

Very nice work! I think if I am going to go for a larger subwoofer then that's the route to take. I might postpone those plans for now and settle for two 6.5" Tang Bands in the doors and use these Infiniti 4" 2-way speakers in the dash:

Infinity REF-4002cfx 4" 2-Way Reference X Coaxial Car Speakers

They can only handle up to 35 rms and the oem amp supplies 40 rms.... Is that going to be a problem?

Here are the Tang Bands:

Tang Band W6-1139SI 6-1/2" Subwoofer 264-832

Any thing I should be cautious of taking this route?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #8
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by samrwalt View Post
Very nice work! I think if I am going to go for a larger subwoofer then that's the route to take. I might postpone those plans for now and settle for two 6.5" Tang Bands in the doors and use these Infiniti 4" 2-way speakers in the dash:

Infinity REF-4002cfx 4" 2-Way Reference X Coaxial Car Speakers

They can only handle up to 35 rms and the oem amp supplies 40 rms.... Is that going to be a problem?

Here are the Tang Bands:

Tang Band W6-1139SI 6-1/2" Subwoofer 264-832

Any thing I should be cautious of taking this route?
Please take pictures and document this install. I would be very interested in the outcome of this project. Those subs and speakers should sound awesome.

2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote