Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #1

Need advice on engine issue

I have had my car for less than a year and it was driving well until a month ago when I had a loss of power output from the engine, a strong vibration in the steering wheel, and a heat increase in my temp gauge. There have been no engine codes thrown nor could I pull anything up using an ODBII reader.

Since it was due, I went ahead and changed all the spark plugs and spark plug tubes and still have the issue.

I don't have a durametric to see if it can pull anything else from the engine.

Any ideas for a fix before taking it in to a local shop?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #2

I would ask what could affect steering, engine power and cooling system? The only thing I could think of that might affect all 3 without throwing a code could be a water pump going bad and perhaps binding a bit. This could affect power steering cooling and engine performance. Perhaps a stretch but easily checked by removing serpentine belt and check for resistance in the pulleys. I would think it would be a stretch for all three problems to be caused by the same thing.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus69 View Post
I would ask what could affect steering, engine power and cooling system? The only thing I could think of that might affect all 3 without throwing a code could be a water pump going bad and perhaps binding a bit. This could affect power steering cooling and engine performance. Perhaps a stretch but easily checked by removing serpentine belt and check for resistance in the pulleys. I would think it would be a stretch for all three problems to be caused by the same thing.
The water pump was replaced this past winter after it failed, but getting to the belt and checking it would not be too difficult.

I lose power and the steering starts vibrating first, after this happens I notice the engine temps start to creep up. I thought it was not getting enough fuel so I replaced the fuel pump but the issue is still there.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #4

I would check the front brakes for binding. This would cause these symptoms, good hunting.
wldcrdme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #5

Took it to P3 Autocraft in Centerville Ohio, they often do work with my friend Mike who owns Proxis Tunning in Centerville.

They found the front brake booster was shot and causing the binding issue which was also causing it to have really touchy brakes when just driving around.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim1ock77 View Post
Took it to P3 Autocraft in Centerville Ohio, they often do work with my friend Mike who owns Proxis Tunning in Centerville.

They found the front brake booster was shot and causing the binding issue which was also causing it to have really touchy brakes when just driving around.
Did this solve all of your problems? I am having a similar issue with heat and loss of power. TIA
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #7

So far, the issue has not repeated itself. The shop took 3 days to diagnose the issue because they weren't running it long enough. After I talked to the owner he finally got the car to repeat the problem.

My brakes were really touchy before this, as in a quick tap of the brake would slam the car to a stop at low speeds. I got used to it and adjusted for this when I drove. The repair bill ran $700 to troubleshoot the problem and then fix it up.

Hope this info helps you solve your problem.