Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #1

Need key/ignition help

Hi all, thanks for thanks for taking the time to have a look at this, I've searched and can't seem to find a solution. Here's what happened..... I had my car at the detailer for a few days... when I went to pick it up today... they told me, they couldn't get the key out of the Ignition?... I got in and sure enough it was stuck....then we discovered that the car wouldn't start...battery was flat... ( I'm pretty sure they were listening to the radio for a few hours, and flattened it. ) The battery is new and the alternator is as well.... they put it on a charger for about 10 mins, and it started no problem. There were a few quirks at first... Windows would't roll up.... headlights wouldn't come on with out jiggling the key in the ignition..... and heater blower wouldn't come on. I'm thinking those issues were due to the low charge in the battery. The car starts & runs fine ...but I can not get the key out of the ignition ( I only have one key ).... The car is in the driveway with the key still in it, and the dash display led's lit... this may run down the battery again. I'm thinking this might be a security /alarm feature maybe? Here are a few things to Note in trying to figure this out..... the Battery & Alt. are fine..... The battery in my Key is fine... when I press the unlock/lock on the key the red led lights up on the key & on the upper dash, so they appear to be in sync..... the steering is not locked, so moving it back and forth is no problem... but does not help loosen the key. I've read that on newer models there is a small onboard tool in the fuse box, that manually releases a stuck key, when you remove a peice of plastic around the ignition key hole. Mine is a 99 Boxster, and does not have this tool or removable plastic slot...BUT it does seem to have a small hole that a paper clip might fit through. If it is an alarm feature... there must bee a sequence that one goes through... press this twicw, while holding that and doing this...etc.... any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Imacman
St.John's Newfoundland

Land of the Fall World TARGA race

IMACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #2

Ignition switch .
Audi dealers , 40 bucks .
An awkward position yet relatively easy ...

I'll be back with a part number
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #3

Others probably can provide more detail.

Long ago the key stuck in the ignition in my 01S. Something in the mechanism broke even though I could turn the key back and forth and run the car.

I don't recall exactly how the independent solved it, but the shop essentially replaced the cylinder in the ignition lock mechanism. Overall, it was a pretty cheap repair. It has worked fine ever since.

BTW: I'll bet you've tried jiggling the key back and forth to see of the lock cylinder will release it. If not, give it a try and at least the interior lights will turn off if the jiggling works.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

4A0 905 849

41 bucks plus ca sales tax .
Commonwealth Audi in Santa Ana .
They ave one left in stock , best bet is to call first , then order online to get the discount
Old 07-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

Garage
I bought the replacement VW/Audi switch off eBay for $11.

See my post, which includes a couple of tips and a description of my experience, here: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap.html Read all the way to post 16.

I purchased my switch from an outfit called ANH Auto Parts, but they don't currently have any active auctions for this part number. Here's a link to one from another seller: New for Audi Porsche Volkswagen Ignition Switch | eBay

Here's the article on this topic from Pelican: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch.htm I believe there's also an article on the topic at Pedro's Garage.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by kjc2050; 07-10-2013 at 06:47 PM.
kjc2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Here's a link to one from another seller: New for Audi Porsche Volkswagen Ignition Switch | eBay

Good luck!!!
Also read the sticky on that seller ......

Did you ever try napa Kjc ?
I heard they had a replacement part a lot cheaper than the genuine Audi one .
I never tried as it was a spare of the moment thing ( ordered Friday night , collected Saturday morning)
Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #7

Garage
Ian,

I never did. I began to suspect my switch was starting to go, so I ordered one well in advance.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #8

I could have probably lived with it for another week or so , but the aim of this project was to get a "neglected" boxster looking and driving awesome in as little time as possible and I had time on the ramp booked for the Saturday when porsche tod me on Friday after work that they only had one wheel bearing in stock
It was a quick and easy thing to go collect it to pad out some workshop time .

I'm glad I did it though , the ammount of small electrical problems that got instantly cured with that ignition switch probably saved me hours messing around with my multimeter
Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #9

Key Stuck

Hi All, thanks, for the responses.... Ok so when I get the Audi Switch part, and get under the dash to remove the old one... at what point / how do I get the stuck Key from the Ignition?

Thanks

Imacman

Paul

Newfoundland
Old 07-11-2013, 04:56 AM   #10

Paul, when my ignition switch went I was able to get the key out by jiggling it with some firmness. As I recall, it wasn't in the usual 'off' position when it came out. As to replacement, I didn't do the work myself (in part because of two herniated discs in my back), but ended up paying 1.4 hours for the labour at my indy.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #11

Re Removing Key

Thanks Brad, I just ordered the part ( overnight ) so it will be here tommorrow...not bad $19.00. I'm fairly handy so I will install it myself, based on the instructions I've found online....I'm puzzled as to how the 'Stuck" key will come out... I guess it will be an exploratory operation...lol or hopefully someone knows?

Cheers Paul
Newfoundland
Old 07-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #12

Paul, if the jiggle and pull method does not allow you to remove the key, then I suspect that once you have the switch detached (as I recall, two small screws), it will allow you to pivot it and remove the key. You may need a second set of hands, however.

Brad
Old 07-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #13

Key Removal Problem Solved

Hi all, thanks for the posts... I ordered the part ( Back Ignition Switch ) it showed up this morning, Moved steering wheel all the way forward... seat all the way back, then kinda did "The Limbo" under the dash.... not alotta space down there. First discovered I am missing the Vent tube that goes to the drivers side air vent... some one must have been under here already?... no big deal... made life easier... Pulled off purple wiring harness... then had to use just the bit from my screw driver set to loosen ( not remove ) the two screws on the sides of the Old Switch.... if I had removed them I would have lost them for sure... I actually did loos a small set screwdriver up there yesterday...no sign of it...lol... both the screws hold the switch in not through holes in the switch... but as pressure points on the switch... small indentations that the screws move down into. pulled off the old switch... then put in the new one.. the tumbler mechanism with key still stuck in it, moved...so It took a few minutes to get it lined up properly with the new switch... when it does line up.. the switch snaps all the way in..ie the metal sides slots on both sides are flush with the tabs on the new switch. Finally re tightened the screws, on to new switch, then plugged the wiring harness back in. Got back in the seat... turn the key, and viola...started no problem.. then comes the real test... will the key come out????... turned ignition off and removed the key as smooth as silk...nightmare over!... everything works again, and I'm a happy man again.... Thanks for the help, any questions please feel free to contact me.

Cheers

Imacman

Payul

Newfoundland Canada
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #14

Good to hear that all went well, Imacman. Enjoy!

Brad
Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #15

Lesson Learned

Thanks Brad... it's 80 Degrees & sunshine here on the rock, so it's a top down all day & night for me...lol.... If I do have any other work done on the car, I think I'll stay with it
till it's done..... when I picked it up I noticed that the odometer was reset... I think that only happens by accident when the battery is physically disconnected.... the detailer says they didn't disconnect the battery....Hmmmm... I think there was some joy riding involved.

Cheers

Imacman

Paul

Newfoundland
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #16

Imacman, excellent description of what you have to do to R&R the switch!

'76 BMW R75/6
'73 Honda Scrambler
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote