Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #1

So I have a water leak from the Front right.

Today on 21 entering newark some ***** driving next to me decided to change lanes on to me with no turn signal and at full speed. I was in the right lane and avoided getting hit but curbed my front wheel and blew the tire. The rim is fine but the tire has a tare that you cant see but when you put air into it you can feel where its coming out of. Ok so my friend was driving ahead of me so he helped me change the tire and such i noticed that my back rim got some rash though. EXTREMELY pissed.

Ok enough back story apparently i broke something because there was water leaking from the front right. I assume it must be some kind of water reservoir or line but it was dripping. So the question is what is upfront on the right side that could cause the water leak? I will put it on jacks and remove the under panel to see for myself but i would like to get a good estimate before looking at something horrible and costly.

Car drives fine but i rather not drive it until i find out whats up. Also first time that the spare tire was used on this car. Its a pretty cool looking tire but still pretty pissed about the whole situation. Will post pics when I do the work. Also thankful that i didn't have a major crash or got hurt, because of someone who should not have a license.

here are a day light pic of Cassandra. She is a bit dirty in this one but i had the camera at had so i took that pic.

Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #2

front radiator?

you also have the evaporator from your AC but that is generally just behind the front tire
passenger side.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #3

Sorry let me clarify the right side is the passenger side tire. That picture is way before i hit. So it may very well be the ac evaporator. Is there anything else behind that tire that I should know about? thanks for the quick response seningen.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #4

You have 2 major items just in front of the wheel that can leak - the coolant radiator (one each side of the car + coolant lines) and the A/C condenser (again, one each side).
To access them, you may have to remove the complete front bumper assembley, which means both the front wheels, wheel liners and indicator lights etc. Use the search button - I think there is a "how to remove" somewhere.
What colour is the fluid leaking out - if its clear it could be the A/C (does it work?) or green (or perhaps red) means the coolant ......
Old 03-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #5

Water leak or coolant leak?.......sounds like a wrecked radiator.

(Your car has a name??)
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #6

I had a leak but it was the headlight washer cracked had to take the headlight off to get to it , probably wishfull thinkinking thought for the sounds of thee accident or maybe you dont even have headlight washers........I'll look at the pictures... duh
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #7

As i said it is water. Plain old water, and its leaking perpendicular to the passenger side wheel closer to the cabin not the front bumper. Which is leading me to think that the AC evaporator is the culprit. I will find out this weekend because that is the only free time I have. To give you a better understanding of the location of the leak. It is coming from the front under panel, behind the front tire and it slides toward the middle under panel and onto the floor. I will take the pics and post so that the guess work can be over. Also i did not hit any body panels. Just front tire and back rim curb rash.

And yes she does have a name.

Here is a random internet pic with the general vecinity of the leak.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Goth Popper

Any update to your problem/solution?

I have the same damn problem after some idiot brushed my right front quarter panel last night. It's only a little scratched up, but now the car won't hold water. It comes out in the exact same place as yours.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #9

This is just a guess.

You have a leak in the radiator or one of the hoses connected to the radiator. The coolant gets blown back and travels on top of the guard below the front trunk until it exits at the rear of the guard aft of the front wheels.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #10

It just stopped leaking. So I dont know i removed the panal and found nothing to be cracked. Maybe something cracked on the top side so I couldn't see it. I have to revisit the area when I have the car up on a proper lift to be able to pock around. I know its not the radiator because I don't have an overeating problem. So I asume it was the ac condenser/ evaporator that leaked when put full on cold blast. But I am not sure yet. I haven't had any leaks since I checked. And sorry for not posting that I found nothing out.

Its not easy to diagnose this with such limited head room under a car on jack stands.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
If it's clear water it's probably coming from the A/C condensate drain. Completely normal when the A/C has been running.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #12

The AC evaporator drain exits the car near the centerline, just on the passenger side, somewhere between the center console and the stick shift. Water may accumulate in the tray and drip out even after you turn off the AC.

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote