Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #21

FWIW, I think you will do better with a set of 3/8" or 1/2" socket wrenches with allen head caps on them. It's what I use. I have a set of allen heads, tripple square, torx, etc. Not only to they work well, but they let you get the extra tourque to pop the seal safely on the drain cap. And you can use a tourque qrench to make sure you pply the correct tourque when you install it.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #22

drain cap is completely stripped now. there is a bolt near the drain cap. is this for the coolant? how can i unscrew myself?
rock88hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #23
The Gimp

Garage
Did you vent the coolant? There's a sort of false bottom below the coolant cap on top of the reservoir. You have to take that off which is secure by a 10mm bolt. Then flip up the clip, warm up the engine and rev at about 3k. This should force the air up through the system as it circulates, and out through the vent cap.
Habby73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #24

You can place a chisle on the outside edge of the plug and wack it with a hammer to get it loose. Of course, have a new plug on hand for the refit.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #25

I followed the instructions from here Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Coolant Replacement / Boxster Coolant Flush - 986 / 987

I believe it was run the vehicle a bit and use the bleed valve located near the reservior cap. Allow vehicle to cool down. Turn vehicle on, but not the engine only electric. Turn heater on High. Take reservoir cap off. Then take off drain cap. What ever the link says, is the exact instructs i followed.

I'm going to try the EZ Out, but first have to order the new cap, hose clips, fluid, cap, and i'm almost certain i need a new reservoir now. I took it (the car) out twice and stopped before it overheated. both times i had to add a half gallon of distilled water.

I also have black flakes in the fluid :-<
rock88hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock88hard View Post
I also have black flakes in the fluid :-<
I think it may be time for a new water pump, ask me how I know. The black flakes in the coolant are from the plastic vanes in the water pump that have broken off and got ground up.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #27

Actually, black flakes do not have to be the water pump vanes. Or at least my water pump vanes were fine and from what I could tell of the black flakes were actually rubber and assumed to be part of the water hoses. Water hoses will deteriorate and it is not abnormal to see the flakes in the flushed coolant/water. I replaced my aft hoses when I replaced the water pump and will replace the fore water hoses this fall when I add the center radiator.

Now, if he is seeing a LOT of particles and not flakes like your picture it might well be the water pump vanes.